U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:54 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times

Advertisements

If I meet the right woman ;of course. Just as I did with the one I am married to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am wondering how many of you over 60 would want to marry again.

My mom was widowed at 56, and although she was very active and attractive, after about three or four dates (different men), she decided that she just did not want to spend the rest of her life "playing nursemaid to some old geezer" (her words). She is now 82 and has not regretted her decision at all.

I am 61 and have been happily married for 30 years, and if I were widowed, there is no way I would want to marry again, either. It just wouldn't be fair to any possible future spouse because after having experienced as perfect a marriage as I could possibly imagine, he would definitely come up short.

Are my mother and I unusual? Or do most of you feel the same way?
Funny, those were my mother's exact words after being widowed at age 67. I've been married for 43 years and we're both healthy but nope, no 2nd marriage. I'll go it alone and enjoy the memories. A boyfriend would be okay I guess.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My mom was widowed at 56, and although she was very active and attractive, after about three or four dates (different men), she decided that she just did not want to spend the rest of her life "playing nursemaid to some old geezer" (her words). She is now 82 and has not regretted her decision at all.
I've seen some wonderful, devoted husbands who were/are nursemaids to their beloved wives. I don't get the problem with caring for each other to the extent one is able; the above line smacks of man-putdown, an attitude that was not uncommon in our parents' generation (perhaps because of the standard roles back then). Not every man wants to be "taken care of" or catered to. Plenty are self-sufficient and wouldn't want their wives to be put in difficult circumstances as caregivers. Even if a care-recipient were to become abusive toward the caregiver, there is such a thing as divorce.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,848,315 times
My dad died very suddenly and unexpectedly at age 50, leaving my mother a widow at age 53.... that first year or so were TOUGH.... but she made it through.... she joined different groups at her church and made a new circle of friends.... she always had a man-friend when she wanted one, but did not remarry again until stroke induced dementia had set in .... I was quite happy for her to date and have relationships, as long as she was happy with them.... and the few men that she did have longer-term relationships were great guys.... Her last relationship was with a man neither my brother nor I cared for.... he just seemed like he was in it for her money and I got her divorced right after I moved her up here with me as she could no longer care for herself and the "husband" sure wasn't any help.....

Me.... I will be 55 next month and have been married and divorced twice..... the last divorce over 10 years ago.... I have absolutely NO interest in dating or remarrying.... I am quite content with my pets and my friends and doing what I want, when I want and with whom I want.... I have friends my age and a bit older who just can't understand this attitude.... they just can not comprehend or see themselves not in some sort or relationship with a man....

Oh, I suppose if some elderly gazillionaire with a bad heart and no heirs crossed my path, I might rethink my position.....

Old 04-14-2015, 06:10 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,917,307 times
I was married for over 20 years (I married at age 19). The divorce took place 10 years ago and it was my decision.

Perhaps because my marriage was very difficult, I see no reason to re marry. I have dated many men and I have had a couple of pretty long term and serious relationships. I guess at this point in my life, I want to borrow em, I dont wanna own em. LOL

Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,988,705 times
No.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM

8,984 posts, read 7,753,935 times
I used to say I would remarry but as I age my opinion changes. I do not want to be responsible to nor for another person.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,764,514 times
me .. no ...my ex ... three times again ...

Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 PM

21,906 posts, read 14,397,959 times
I am lucky to have my DH with me, and I believe he is lucky to have me, for 45 years. I can't imagine another marriage ever. I really hope to have a long life with him at my side. But if I am left, I think frankly I will be too old to marry again. And it isn't as if there is a plethora of available men out there. But even among the ones that are available, I see few interesting ones.

I imagine that men might think the same about me, though. At any rate, I don't think I'd remarry.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
I was married for nine and a half years, and no, I would not (and have not) married again. Was it that bad? No, it was that GOOD, so good that the pain of its ending was excruciating. I would not take the chance of enduring such pain again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or