U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What's the point of marrying when your older? It's only a paper. You can still enjoy each other's company without a certificate. Don't understand why it's an issue when you are retired and not having more children.
In certain circumstances, there is a financial advantage of a legal marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
NO. NoNoNoNo.

I've little doubt I'd find romance again, that's the easy part. But I have no interest trying to adjust to a new set of in-laws and step-children and step-grandchildren. Nor would I expect a new man to adjust to mine.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,372,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What's the point of marrying when your older? It's only a paper. You can still enjoy each other's company without a certificate. Don't understand why it's an issue when you are retired and not having more children.

For some people, it is also for security and finances.

My father really wants to be re-married. The woman he will marry has made it clear she wants to be financially taken care of for the rest of her life. She is 60, he is 73 and disabled. She has been unable to maintain stable employment for years, and has little retirement savings/benefits. She says that marrying my father means sacrificing other opportunities (ex. other marriages and employment opportunities), so he must agree to support her indefinitely. He is willing to do that, and actually wants his pension/SS benefits to go to someone or else it is "wasted". In his state, his retirement account will automatically go to his wife when he marries. In some ways, it is a business arrangement I guess.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
No. There's not a woman on Earth that could compare to Mrs. Tek.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
It is impossible for anyone who is now married to say if they would marry if their spouse died.

Whoa there! Isn't that a bit prescriptive? I'm pretty sure intelligent adults are capable of assessing things and making informed decisions.

Looking over the posts, I discern a pattern: the men (except for a few, such as the widower who is raising young children ) would leap right into marriage again. It is to be presumed that they state their preference with eyes open, having previously been married.

Most of the women not only say "no", they say "H*LL NO!!" ...On other threads, there are one or two who are looking for somewhere to live that is bone cheap. A few posts later, they add that they'd prefer a lot of men. For the most part, I daresay that the women who post in this forum do not need a man to make ends meet.

From the numbers, it would appear that men get a lot more out of the arrangement than women do. Whatever benefits women might have derived earlier in life no longer apply.

Personally? I've been there - done that - got the T-shirt. Would not repeat the experience. Not enough EROEI (energy returned over energy invested), so to speak.

Just my fully informed opinion.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,331,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I was married for over 20 years (I married at age 19). The divorce took place 10 years ago and it was my decision.

Perhaps because my marriage was very difficult, I see no reason to re marry. I have dated many men and I have had a couple of pretty long term and serious relationships. I guess at this point in my life, I want to borrow em, I dont wanna own em. LOL
There is a saying among sportsmen on the great plains, "If it floats, flys, or f*ks you are better off renting."

I am in a caregiver role 40 years in, and I have the sense that I will be pretty much used up for that kind of duty. I might try to get out and get some exercise, but marriage? Nope.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 PM

950 posts, read 714,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Whoa there! Isn't that a bit prescriptive? I'm pretty sure intelligent adults are capable of assessing things and making informed decisions.

Looking over the posts, I discern a pattern: the men (except for a few, such as the widower who is raising young children ) would leap right into marriage again. It is to be presumed that they state their preference with eyes open, having previously been married.

Most of the women not only say "no", they say "H*LL NO!!" ...On other threads, there are one or two who are looking for somewhere to live that is bone cheap. A few posts later, they add that they'd prefer a lot of men. For the most part, I daresay that the women who post in this forum do not need a man to make ends meet.

From the numbers, it would appear that men get a lot more out of the arrangement than women do. Whatever benefits women might have derived earlier in life no longer apply.

Personally? I've been there - done that - got the T-shirt. Would not repeat the experience. Not enough EROEI (energy returned over energy invested), so to speak.

Just my fully informed opinion.

I wonder what percent of women who remarried after the death of a spouse said.........."no way "....while their husband was still living.

Reminds me of all my single female relatives who proclaimed exactly how they would raise their kids.

Once married and with kids they didn't practice what they preach.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I wonder what percent of women who remarried after the death of a spouse said.........."no way "....while their husband was still living.

Reminds me of all my single female relatives who proclaimed exactly how they would raise their kids.

Once married and with kids they didn't practice what they preach.
ROTFL!! Quite a few of the women who posted saying "No Way Jose" are married.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,753,773 times
Yup. Done it once. Would do it again if the situation arose.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:33 AM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
NO. NoNoNoNo.

I've little doubt I'd find romance again, that's the easy part. But I have no interest trying to adjust to a new set of in-laws and step-children and step-grandchildren. Nor would I expect a new man to adjust to mine.
i make it easy . i come with an instruction manual written by my mom .

"the proper care and feeding of my son "

who wants me now ladies ????????? ha ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or