Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
After 40 years of marriage...we split and actually divorced...We got back together in a new light and it feels right...We are coming up on 47 years...He is my VBF and I hope I am for him, too....I pray I go first. I don't want to be in the world without him...
I'm glad I'm sitting behind a cypher-locked door. It would be embarrassing to have to explain to anyone why I have tears in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ditto here. Moving is possibly more expensive than having numerous wives.
Yes to the expense of moving,as wife said we have moved 20 times but the worst part is losing your roots.
Now 82 and having bought home back in CT,horrible thought,to be near what is left of family,we have lost 4 in past 18 months.
We are unable to sell our North Florida property since home is 1997,older than 15 years,nice 28x63.The banks will not lend or talk with less than 20 percent down.Property with outbuildings on over 1 acre in excellent condition,price about the same as automobile.
This problem brought on by realestate crash.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'm glad I'm sitting behind a cypher-locked door. It would be embarrassing to have to explain to anyone why I have tears in my eyes.
Well dry your eyes! We just had a doozy of a fight about where to put the compost pile! He won!

(Thanks for your nice comment.)

Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 AM

761 posts, read 832,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well dry your eyes! We just had a doozy of a fight about where to put the compost pile! He won!

(Thanks for your nice comment.)

Coming up on 31 years of marriage and we have both had it.
Separation and divorce upcoming.

Wonderful wife dropped this on me the morning my faithful furkid died.
I hope she has a great life and doesn't spend herself broke.
She won't be tagging my cash for much longer and I know I can live more frugally without her.

Plan to go out next year after I turn 63.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post

She won't be tagging my cash for much longer and I know I can live more frugally without her.

Out? Out where?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
WellShoneMoon: I could be wrong but I think he meant retirement. But I've been wrong before.

elliotgb: Very sorry to hear about your furkid. I know how painful that is since I have lost more than a few of them myself.

Re your wife's leaving..... well what can I say. You will have a bunch of emotions. Just ride them out. You will be OK. Hang in there.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I married for the first time at 35 - so I had considerable amount of years fending for myself alone.

If anything happened to DH - I would not marry again - but I might find a traveling companion.

My oldest sister was widowed at 29 with three small boys. She never married again either. Said, "I had my marriage". She has not coupled since.

Second oldest sister just lost her husband at age 68. She's done too.

My brothers? One has been married twice (divorced) and lives with his SO now for the past 20 years. Other brother divorced and lives with his second wife.

Women in my family are way stronger than the brothers.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Out? Out where?
Hah, should clarify that.
Out of the workforce, aka retirement, sorry.

We had a wee bit of a disagreement as she wanted me to work until I turned 70.
There are other reasons as well, but they all seem to add up over the years.
Some can work through them, some can't.

I will be free on 2 fronts: work and marriage.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
WellShoneMoon: I could be wrong but I think he meant retirement. But I've been wrong before.

elliotgb: Very sorry to hear about your furkid. I know how painful that is since I have lost more than a few of them myself.

Re your wife's leaving..... well what can I say. You will have a bunch of emotions. Just ride them out. You will be OK. Hang in there.
Appreciate the sentiments on my wonderful dog.
I still have his companion dog here with me for as long as he lasts.
Be bonkers without him.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post

We are the kind that keeps going back into the ring for another round, lol. We each want to prove ourselves right about life. Neither of us will ever give in. What does that say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement