U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM

519 posts, read 431,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

I don't like Christie's proposal because it doesn't address the impact it would have on people who are already retired, or very close to retirement.

Dave
Notwithstanding I think it a nonstarter, my read of the press release is that there is no phase (grace period) for the income test ($80,000 to $200,000 for individuals) and so would affect all SS recipients from day one. So if you are currently receiving SS and have income other than SS over $80,000 level, you will get reduced SS payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 AM

12,293 posts, read 12,533,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There is no lock box, what a current worker pays funds current retirees. Get over it people, it is welfare. No more lip stick on this pig. Therefore, if it is welfare, then yes to means testing and yes to removing the income cap on SSI paycheck deductions.
Yes, the SS retirement account (Old Age and Survivors) is just about breaking even now, and during the recession it actually had to dip into some of the interest earnings. However, for 30 years it was a nice profit center, and Congress borrowed the excess to run the government. At the moment, the SS trust fund holds about $2.6 Trillion in federal bonds. The balance of the trust fund is expected to grow thanks to interest earnings through 2019, before the balance starts to drop. The trust fund will be depleted by 2033, so either revenue has to increase or benefits have to be cut sometime in the next 20 years. Meanwhile, Congress would love to welsh on the debt they owe current retirees.

The SS disability account will be broke next year. That's a separate program not funded by the retirement account. If Congress wants to continue a national disability insurance program, they will need to figure out how to pay for it. My opinion is that there are a lot of people collecting SSDI that are not really disabled. So what if their back hurts? For anything short of spondylitis, go through vocational rehab and get a job.

Medicare is in real trouble. I expect big premium increases and means testing as only part of the solution to that problem.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:50 AM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
But he said it would only affect 2% of beneficiaries. Will most Republicans care about the 2%?
Most of the 2% are republicans.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM

12,293 posts, read 12,533,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Non starter, much like Christie's hope for the nomination.
Yeah, Christie might actually get elected president, so the Republicans will never nominate him. Instead they will nominate some delusional fringie who will pull about 40% of the vote.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What are your thoughts on this specific proposal?
My thoughts were not on the proposal as much as my thoughts were on it being lousy campaign strategy advice for 2 reasons:

1. Old people vote in big numbers. They are the most reliable demographic to show up at the polls. Don't be talking about futzing around with old people programs until after you're elected if you want to win.

2. Old people don't like change. They tend to be brand loyal. It's the reason why advertisers will pay more to have their ads appear on TV shows that appeal to younger people. Even if the idea is the greatest since slice bread, as a group, old people won't warm up to the change for quite awhile, if ever.

As far as the proposal itself goes, I'm not under social security, never will be, and have no opinion about it. I'd rather the people impacted express their opinion. It would not be a reason for me to choose a presidential candidate.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times
About SS disability benefits. I honestly believe the entire program must be audited. There are some (my deceased mom for example) who actually need that money and physically cannot work any longer. She got by on less than $600 of SSD and SSI per month. Others, such as several people I know, receive over $1000 per month for dubious ailments, many of which they caused themselves. I wish I could anonymously report them and that they would actually be investigated for fraud, but I know the budget is just not there to check up on all these people who can waterski, hunt deer, go camping, etc, while allegedly too disabled to hold down even a desk job. I have one "friend" who actually got disability to attend college for her bachelor's, and then a MASTERS, so she could get a teaching job, only to proclaim at the finish that she was too disabled to work at a teaching job because she "could not sit or stand for hours at a time". Isn't sitting for hours what you do while attending college???? And what is she doing at home all day? Sitting for hours on her couch.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,340,136 times
One proposal you won't hear from Christie is to start charging Medicare premiums by the pound.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,482,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
One proposal you won't hear from Christie is to start charging Medicare premiums by the pound.
A buck and a half a pound sounds about right. Maybe two rates, one for females and one for males?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:02 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,553,748 times
The answer is . . . . . divorce. Why have only one 80k exemption when you can have two?

Just kidding, just kidding.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,161,251 times
I'm pretty far left on social programs but it's only fair that people who pay 50% of their income in taxes get at least what everyone else gets. Honestly SS is a bad place to look for spending cuts. One state of the art bomber plane cost more than a whole state's worth of SS payments for one month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or