U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 12:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,925,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
He will never get the nomination now , the fa$ fu$$er..I was actually thinking of supporting the fattie...NO WAY IN HELL NOW AND I'll be actively campaigning against him!!!!
What an eloquent speaker/writer you are! I bet you were president of your debate team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 01:02 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,925,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
NO ONE should be required to pay into a retirement system from which they can be denied all of their benefits, whether that denial is made via means-testing, IQ testing or genetic testing.
It's not a retirement system, it's an insurance system. And you've been receiving that insurance ever since you began working and paying into the system.

I don't understand why so many people want to overlook this fact. Did you all think that 40-years of insurance should be cost-free and that you're entitled to receive every penny back that you paid into the program? Why?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What an eloquent speaker/writer you are! I bet you were president of your debate team.
Why, thank you!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
It's not a retirement system, it's an insurance system. And you've been receiving that insurance ever since you began working and paying into the system.

I don't understand why so many people want to overlook this fact. Did you all think that 40-years of insurance should be cost-free and that you're entitled to receive every penny back that you paid into the program? Why?
So, it's ok to put in hundreds of thousands of dollars and not receive anything at all in return just because you worked hard, saved, etc.? TOTALLY INSANE.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM

950 posts, read 715,672 times
............"insurance program "......

??????

Whenever I mention the widespread abuse of SS Disability, posters tell me that Disability SS comes out of a completely different fund.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:09 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,791,019 times
You are forced to pay into the GD thing...you should get the benefits...period... end of story...FU Christie.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 PM

12,551 posts, read 4,245,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I'm not a Social Security actuary nor have all the numbers needed. It's just a no-brainer that it would save money. Better than not giving back at least the principal plus interest for those that contributed, rather than a big fat ZERO for some.

Come on....give it a try!
Understand that we don't have all the info, but do your best.

For those born after _____ the retirement age is now ______

This is why the program never gets fixed!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM

9,295 posts, read 5,501,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
For all of you people who are bashing Christie (and the worst ones who are calling him fat)....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO FIX SOCIAL SECURITY?

I'm waiting.
And therein lies the problem. Since I'm already retired but KNOW the system is just a few years away from collapsing the economy, I think we need to talk to one another and Christie's suggestion should be viewed in that light.

However, I'm certainly willing to let politicians double the social security tax on all you workers! That would certainly be fair if I can keep getting mine. No?

Something MUST be done. We cannot exclude anyone based on their income, but we could limit how much they receive. Unfortunately, as Jimmy Carter predicted 35 years ago or so, we have reached the point where opposing politicians are unable to compromise.

The only future we have without compromise of a multitude of vested interests is economic collapse.

It appears we either talk or buy gold--or guns and ammo. But the United States of America is now on a short leash over this looming problem brought on by the government "borrowing" from the SS system.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Come on....give it a try!
Understand that we don't have all the info, but do your best.

For those born after _____ the retirement age is now ______

This is why the program never gets fixed!
It doesn't get fixed becasuse I won't come up with ages? Nice try. I'm not getting paid to come up with ages. Congress is.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM

29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Why? It's an insurance program set up to ensure that you and your family don't end up poverty stricken.

If you pay for term life insurance and don't die during the term of the policy, are you entitled to get your money back?

If you pay for health insurance and don't get sick, should you get all your money back?
Yes, and there is also the factor of choice to buy or not buy insurance and perhaps most importantly whether to buy term or whole life. With group term we all pay the same premium at the same age and get the same amount back at death. With SS we don't. What if the SS tax was a flat age based amount and the benefit the same for all at the age benefits are taken. Can't afford then just like insurance you don't get. Or what if you could buy the amount of old age benefit you got and pay the same premium as everyone else your age? If I buy insurance on myself and not my wife, if she dies I don't get to collect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or