Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:00 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times

Advertisements

The thread "Would you marry again" led me to think of rewriting our wills so that our daughter's interest is protected after one of us passes away.

We currently have mirror wills leaving everything to the surviving spouse and upon his/her passing, the entire estate will go to our daughter except some specific sums going to relatives in both sides.

The wills were setup many years ago. As we get older, I started to realize that the wills were not adequate in addressing what would happen in the case of remarriage of the surviving spouse but had never found the time to research on the best estate planning.

The sentimental expressed in this "would you marry again" thread and my observations of the fact that most if not all the widowers that I know had remarried made me think that the possibility of my husband to remarry if I pass away before him is very high.

I know that my husband loves my daughter dearly and would not put the interests of others over hers. However, he is also very easy going, trusting and have very little interest in financials, legal issues, estate planning etc. So, I think it is up to me to redo the wills.

I found some good suggestions in this article below especially the part about Testamentary Trust for the Spouse.

http://livingtrustnetwork.com/estate...-marriage.html

I would like to hear from others your thoughts and experience on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
WE BOTH HAVE CHILDREN FROM FIRST MARRIAGES. MY DAD REMARRIED LATE IN LIFE AND MY SISTER AND I WERE CUT OUT OF THE NEW WIFE'S WILLS AFTER MY FATHER DIED.

MY WIFE AND I ARE LEAVING EVERYTHING TO EACH OTHER AND NOT WANTING TO CUT EACH OTHER OFF FROM EACH OTHERS ASSETS WITH TRUSTS WE SWORE TO EACH OTHER WE WOULD ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING FOR EACH OTHER'S CHILDREN.

WE EACH HAVE LIFE INSURANCE FOR ABOUT 250K WHICH GOES TO OUR CHILDREN IN THE EVEN ONE OF US PASSES . THAT WAY THE CHILDREN OF THE DECEASED SPOUSE GET SOMETHING RIGHT UP FRONT WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE 2ND SPOUSE TO DIE.

sorry about the caps , not sure why it posted all in caps. when I hit send.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
The thread "Would you marry again" led me to think of rewriting our wills
so that our daughter's interest is protected after one of us passes away.
Do that. The "how" part is mostly about how much your stuff you have and what it's worth.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
WE BOTH HAVE CHILDREN FROM FIRST MARRIAGES. MY DAD REMARRIED LATE IN LIFE AND MY SISTER AND I WERE CUT OUT OF THE NEW WIFE'S WILLS AFTER MY FATHER DIED.

MY WIFE AND I ARE LEAVING EVERYTHING TO EACH OTHER AND NOT WANTING TO CUT EACH OTHER OFF FROM EACH OTHERS ASSETS WITH TRUSTS WE SWORE TO EACH OTHER WE WOULD ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING FOR EACH OTHER'S CHILDREN.

WE EACH HAVE LIFE INSURANCE FOR ABOUT 250K WHICH GOES TO OUR CHILDREN IN THE EVEN ONE OF US PASSES . THAT WAY THE CHILDREN OF THE DECEASED SPOUSE GET SOMETHING RIGHT UP FRONT WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE 2ND SPOUSE TO DIE.

Similar situation my father remarried too late in life and sister and I got sold short.

Now I'm remarried and both of us have kids from first marriages. I want things done fairly for them.

We are just now getting started on doing a living trust and trying to get it setup the right way.
Part of it is real estate which creates a dilemma.

Your idea with the life insurance sounds interesting.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:25 PM

238 posts, read 617,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I like your idea too mathjak

Old 04-15-2015, 01:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Good idea.

My parents started to do joint wills/trusts years ago to do exactly as you describe. Leave all to the surviving spouse (ex. goes to Dad if Mom dies), which then goes into a trust to support Dad. Dad can remarry and together with new wife share all monies. Then when Dad dies... Mom's money moves down to the children. New spouse can receive ?all of Dad's money or whatever he puts in the trust/will.

But my parents never finished the final paperwork, and my mother died with no final will/trust in place. We were able to encourage my father to finally put a basic will together after Mom passed so he had something in place, but this was stressful and took years. But this does not include anything about Mom's monies, of course, as they are all pooled as all were rolled over into his IRA etc.... Dad will get re-married soon, and then all monies will go to new wife. He has spoken openly about his plan.

That is his right. It is his right to do what he wants with his money.

I suspect though, my mother would not be thrilled to know his prior mistress is now inheriting HER money as well, but I digress....

Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
You need a trust.
Consider setting up the trust now. Could aid in settling estate.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
We haven't redone ours but my thought is to leave everything to our daughter, with the stipulation that the other spouse could use any amount for their direct benefit as long as they live. This is to prevent a spouse from unwittingly being scammed by someone in the future after the other is gone, or marrying again, and somehow everything ending up community property then the new spouse being the survivor and directing it all elsewhere.

I saw my mother basically left out of a nice estate because of this.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
We haven't redone ours but my thought is to leave everything to our daughter, with the stipulation that the other spouse could use any amount for their direct benefit as long as they live. This is to prevent a spouse from unwittingly being scammed by someone in the future after the other is gone, or marrying again, and somehow everything ending up community property then the new spouse being the survivor and directing it all elsewhere.
A will is not the vehicle for a stipulation, they're seldom if ever binding. You'll need to set up a trust.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
... But this does not include anything about Mom's monies, of course, as they are all pooled as all were rolled over into his IRA etc.... Dad will get re-married soon, and then all monies will go to new wife. He has spoken openly about his plan.

That is his right. It is his right to do what he wants with his money.

I suspect though, my mother would not be thrilled to know his prior mistress is now inheriting HER money as well, but I digress..
And her (and his) children will get nothing. Yup, I suspect that your mom would not be thrilled about what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement