U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 AM

761 posts, read 639,058 times

Advertisements

Facing some uncertainty with a marriage separation so I decided to check in with 2 financial advisors.
My regular Fidelity rep., who is a CFP and also an advisor from Edward Jones.
Both offer PAS (portfolio advisory services) with EJ being slightly higher.
May be a tough choice to decide on which to choose.
The fancy graphics and projections look nice on a computer screen and on paper but how they translate to real life will remain to be seen.

Both seem to think that I can retire at 64 and be fine.
Fidelity projected that I could retire now and maybe work part time and be ok, but I will stay the extra 2 years. As a matter of fact, money "should" hold out even past the age of 92 (don't expect to see that, but.....).

At any rate, I am moving into a townhome in a gated community that my wife and I own.
We just refinanced it and it is now in my name.
Low mortage payment, so it should be manangable.
Also, fully furnished, but I will be taking some furniture to replace dated items in the townhome.
A little more traveling involved, but not too bad.

It was a relief to find that there is light at the end of the tunnel and 2 years should be doable.

Every time I get in the car now, I buckle my seatbelt and repeat "401K", "401K" to remind myself to act responsibly on the road.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or