U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 AM

761 posts, read 641,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I don't know what is what about this. All I know is this: every poor person I have known and currently know (sans the homeless) do pretty well. They have housing, food, medical care, don't pay taxes -- and they can afford The Internet and/or Cable. I sometimes wonder why I worked so hard, at such a stressful job, for almost 30 years. Oh well, now that I've 'vented' -- I had, do have and will have a much better life than they do. But it irritates the H out of me that my neighbors, who are on some form of public assistance (which I helped fund with my former income taxes and currently help to fund with my current income taxes), at various ages, have enough money for everything (it seems), including alcohol and drugs. And how can they afford a smart phone????!!!!

Yes, there are always very legitimate reasons and circumstances for a person being poor, especially older women who were divorced by their husbands. But a lot of the time it's simply because people don't want to work and have found a way to avoid doing it or didn't want to work, didn't plan at all for retirement, and now they expect that we, who worked and paid taxes, to support them.

And I'm a bleeding heart liberal!

And that is my rant for the day! LOLOLOLOLOL
Years ago, I had to take a business trip to Pennsylvania out in the Pittsburgh area.
After we got off of the plane, we had to travel by car to our venue.

Driving through one of the poorest sections I've seen in a long time, I was amazed at the number of trailer homes that were rundown looking and still had a satellite dish in the front yard. I guess we all have our priorities, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 AM

3,916 posts, read 2,888,205 times
I am cursed with compassion. I am okay with my high income being taxed to provide for the less fortunate even though some aren't trying very hard. Most are trying. These days it is pretty much required that you have a phone and email if you are looking for a job or employed. I also think a job, any job, should pay enough for a decent lifestyle. Dishwashers should be able to go on vacation and retire some day.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 AM

130 posts, read 101,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Driving through one of the poorest sections I've seen in a long time, I was amazed at the number of trailer homes that were rundown looking and still had a satellite dish in the front yard. I guess we all have our priorities, eh?
I don't know about Pennsylvania, but the satellite dish is the state flower of West Virginia.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,660,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
For a lot of us it means possibly lowering your sights a little as to what kind of home and where but if you are living in a $200k home that you are still making payments on, you could possibly roll the equity into owning a less expensive home. If you can scrape up enough to get a decent manufactured home, there are plenty of communities where you can live a few blocks from the beach with a pool, club house, some activities and pay rent/HOA/utilities of around $500. Some places I have looked at come in a little under that. No, this doesn't mean that being poor means you can easily retire, just pointing out that with caveats that many of us can do, annual costs can be in the poverty range.
I'd like to know where the rent/HOA/utilities a few miles from the beach for $500/month is. It would probably be overrun with people.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'd like to know where the rent/HOA/utilities a few miles from the beach for $500/month is. It would probably be overrun with people.
I just tried CL in Jacksonville for manufactured homes and added lot rent to my search. I found a $330 plus power in a community with a pool and clubhouse not far from the beach. It does look a little bit dated; I didn't say anything about it being modern or fancy. I said you can do it. A lot depends on what it takes to make you happy.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM

A little more, following up on the last post. Let me paint a little picture for you. You're sitting in a lawn chair you purchased at Family Dollar under an old aluminum awning. There are a few cracks in the concrete around the sun faded pool. When the traffic on the beach front road isn't heavy you can hear the waves crash. When it is heavy, you have to walk down to the corner and wait for the light to cross. You live in a manufactured home that's maybe 1000 sq ft. You usually bathe in a stand up fiberglass shower with a curtain. Your bathroom is tiny but functional. You spend your days mostly in the company of others living the same way. The wine is from WalMart but the friends you make and the happiness you can enjoy are only constrained by your personal feelings about this scenario. If you are good with that, you can retire well on poverty level income.

EDIT - adding a quote/link to another thread in the forum as a senior member happened to mention the low HOA and club fees that can be found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are other options besides FL and SC including Texas, Arizona, New Mexico among others.

As for high HOA fees, I pay $180 per year in HOA fees and $450 per year for access to 13 pools, 12 fitness centers, as well as a number of other activities.
Also wanted to add that my plan is to pay a little more than I am suggesting as I would like things a little nicer if I can afford it and it looks like I will be able to. My point is that depending on what is important to you, it is very possible to enjoy retirement cheaply. I totally understand that some people have gotten so used to finer things that it is difficult for them to enjoy life without them. There are also health concerns that make the lifestyle untenable for some.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,116,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Years ago, I had to take a business trip to Pennsylvania out in the Pittsburgh area.
After we got off of the plane, we had to travel by car to our venue.

As an erstwhile door-to-door cable TV salesman, I like to say it's an indicator of the sad state and quality of broadcast TV.

In 1980, families in small-town southern Michigan had huge antennae on their roofs, to pull in network TV from all directions.

Today I bet most have switched to cable or satellite TV.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As an erstwhile door-to-door cable TV salesman, I like to say it's an indicator of the sad state and quality of broadcast TV.

In 1980, families in small-town southern Michigan had huge antennae on their roofs, to pull in network TV from all directions.

Today I bet most have switched to cable or satellite TV.
It's not just quality (signal and/or programming) but also variety that drives people to alternatives. I think all 3 (broadcast, cable and satellite) will get swept away by streaming in a few years. Cable has largely converted to streaming already("On Demand").

Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 AM

8,850 posts, read 7,740,377 times
We just came from a visit to the Rockport, Corpus Christi area in Texas. A short drive or even a bicycle ride close to the beach. Fairly safe. Rent in many RV parks was under $400 a month. RV's can be purchased used, for very little.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,347,727 times
Lots of people who "retire poor" were never much more than a few steps above that to begin with throughout their working lives anyways. I think that was sort of the case with the OP's original example. You generally don't miss what you never had, and most of these people have never had much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement