U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,036,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
It's not just quality (signal and/or programming) but also variety that drives people to alternatives. I think all 3 (broadcast, cable and satellite) will get swept away by streaming in a few years. Cable has largely converted to streaming already("On Demand").
We can't get broadcast TV here, rural AZ, even with huge outdoor antennas. This happened after they switched the format a few years ago. Before that we could get at least one station even with rabbit ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,331,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Why does he want to live in Las Vegas? Does he gamble? That could ruin it.
That's easy. Low COL. Better weather for that bad knee. No ice and snow to slip on either. Remember Dave lived in NYC for decades!

Here's a bit of an update on Dave. He did get his SNAP determination and it did go down to $149 per month. No word on housing yet but he was told 6 moths to a year and we are no where near that time yet. A social worker told him to apply for paratransit. That would make his bus pass free. He did apply but hasn't heard yet.

Dave goes to the Jewish food pantry once a month. Last week he learned from another person the USDA gives away food if you have a Medicaid card. He is going to check it out this next week and learn all the rules.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 PM

4,976 posts, read 3,462,838 times
Sometimes it is unavoidable. I was laid off at 55 and worked as a temp until there was a car accident (not my fault) which ruined that opportunity due to back problems.
It took 2+ years for me to prove I was not able to work and during that time, thankfully I had family that believed in me and supported me.
So I did not have to live homeless, but that could have easily not happened without family help. I now give to those helping the homeless.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 13,028 times
How to spend money and rest time in our old age is becoming more and more important ! we should have a plan in our young age . i don't want a poor and weak life of old age.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 AM

That's true. But at 20-30, when we should be thinking about it, many of us didn't. This is the price we pay.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I agree. $194 is the full amount a single person without kids can get on SNAP. I know, because that's what I'm getting and that's because my income is $200 a month right now. However, when my disability goes through or I retire, whichever comes first, the amount I get for SNAP will take a nose dive. I will be lucky if I get $20 a month and probably less than that, and my income will be less than your mythical friend.

SNAP is dependent on your income and if you have an income of any kind, you are going to lose a substantial portion of your SNAP.
That is totally true. I receive 1280 before Medicare A &B. Once I started receiving SSDI, I was offered $10 in snap.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,880,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That's true. But at 20-30, when we should be thinking about it, many of us didn't. This is the price we pay.
I wish I could remember the speech our department head made when we got a 401k at the company I worked for in the late 80s. They had a pension before and our department head was on that. He told us it was going away everywhere and we had to provide our own. Looking back, I really can't remember exactly how he drilled it into my head but I believed him. I signed up and I always signed up at every job since. I see it like just another tax - not optional. I am a terrible saver outside of that. So, why am I in this thread? I am concerned about the spending side of the equation now. I should be in great shape but I need to completely blow up my budget and change my lifestyle or it won't last.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 PM

I did the same. When the recession came & I was laid off, it was quite a shock to try to live on unemployment & the part-time jobs I got. But, it taught me how to be frugal. Now that I'm getting SSDI, I live within my means & enjoy getting deals on on-line sites, example, I got a walker with a seat, which really gives me much more freedom, for $59 & the medical supply store in town wanted $199.

The frugal living forum is great for ideas.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM

4,672 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
At ages 20-30, I was a mother of two, wife, full time office worker, housekeeper, cook, etc.

Was I really supposed to be thinking of retirement then? At that age, it looked like a very long time away. Of course, I also thought I'd be married forever, too. LOL

My ex must have done some thinking about it, tho. Hid money from me and let me think we didn't have a lot. I felt a ton of pressure back in those days.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM

13,921 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
So, why am I in this thread? I am concerned about the spending side of the equation now. I should be in great shape but I need to completely blow up my budget and change my lifestyle or it won't last.
I had a great life lesson 7 years ago at the onset of The Great Recession at age 50. I was in a tech startup that went under. For the first time in my life, I couldn't just walk across the street and get a better job for more money. Nobody was hiring. Period. After a summer mostly spent enjoying myself while doing a couple of hours per day networking and trying to line up my next thing, it became pretty obvious nothing was going to drop in my lap.

I contracted my life down to minimize the cash burn. I had no debt, a paid-for vacation home at a ski resort, a couple of paid-for cars, and a very large pile of cash as an emergency fund. I decided to see if I could cover all my expenses on an unemployment check and still maintain a good quality of life on about 15% of the cash flow I was used to. Other than a couple of big bills like property tax, I was able to cover my expenses out of an unemployment check and only spent the interest on my emergency fund.

That was great practice for retirement since most of us have no clue what it would really take. When I started working again 14 1/2 months later, I embarked on "The Great Retirement Plan". A very downsized house that would only cost about $6K to run including taxes, insurance, and utilities. Everything structured to be able to live a high quality of life with a relatively small amounts of cash burn. If I defer taking Social Security until age 70, the $41.6K check should easily cover all my expenses. My 401-K/IRA/Roth retirement savings are mad money and to cover extraordinary expenses. I'm now working on topping up the after-tax war chest so I don't have to touch Social Security or my retirement portfolio until age 70.

When I retire at age 65, the only thing I don't have a good handle on yet is Medicare. I'm assuming that in 8 years, Medicare is probably going to look quite different from now so I haven't put any effort into learning how all the supplemental insurance works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement