U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times

Advertisements

I almost married him but he was too clinging. I felt stifled. I will have to look out for that but hopefully he learned something in those 20 years. I know I sure have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was thinking of a mobile home just yesterday. But, in the chat thread I shared that an old friend & I are talking about my coming out there. He lives in Palo Alto. I'm thinking about it. I can't move until April when my lease is up so there's plenty of time to decide.

Ooops, it was here. We haven't seen each other for over 20 years so it would be a real adjustment, more for me than him. He got married & divorced in the meantime, but I've been alone for a long time. I don't know if I could live with someone. I've always thought the perfect relationship would be next door neighbors & people go their own apartment when they need space. I've never met anyone who agreed with me, lol.
There was a very interesting article in the NYTimes about couples that did that - live apart but still be a couple.

One had two separate smallish houses and shared a large patio area. It was neat.

I told my roommate that my first venture into my communal living will be for him. I am moving him out into his own little house! LOL

Old 12-02-2015, 12:02 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
I was thinking of a mobile home just yesterday. But, in the chat thread I shared that an old friend & I are talking about my coming out there. He lives in Palo Alto. I'm thinking about it. I can't move until April when my lease is up so there's plenty of time to decide.

Ooops, it was here. We haven't seen each other for over 20 years so it would be a real adjustment, more for me than him. He got married & divorced in the meantime, but I've been alone for a long time. I don't know if I could live with someone. I've always thought the perfect relationship would be next door neighbors & people go their own apartment when they need space. I've never met anyone who agreed with me, lol.

Most of our parks here have manufactured homes rather than the regular mobile homes. Mine is a manufactured home but it doesn't look like one, especially from the front or back. You can tell, once inside, where the two halves were put together when it was built. The addition makes it seem more like stick built house too.

Yeah, it's a while till April. You have to survive the winter first!

For years I've had the same idea about separate dwellings/relationship. I've never found anyone that agreed with me either.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:27 PM

372 posts, read 448,408 times
Quote:

.... I've always thought the perfect relationship would be next door neighbors & people go their own apartment when they need space. I've never met anyone who agreed with me, lol.
Well, there is a cool retiree on another forum -- and whom I may have seen in these parts, too -- who thinks like you. She just moved next door to her "beloved" and that suits them fine!

And PS, California doesn't tax social security. Yet. 😎

Old 02-23-2016, 10:27 AM

108 posts, read 81,605 times
I am 44. My fiance who is almost 62 brings home $1450 monthly. In retirement, he will bring home about $2200 monthly after taxes and health insurance for him. Our 3-year-old son is on Anthem (from his dad's work) and Medicaid. I am on the Healthy Indiana Plan (basically Medicaid in a fancy wrapper). We do not have cable or satellite, we have liability only on our two vehicles (which were paid for a long time ago), we agreed a long time ago for me to be a stay at home mom for a while as child care is way too expensive and we gross too much to qualify for child care vouchers. I buy our son's clothes at second hand clothes stores as well as my clothes. We do have internet and my fiance still has his same iPhone from 4 years ago. I have a lifeline phone which is a free government phone with 350 minutes and unlimited texts. We live in 1000 square foot apartment where we pay $600 a month and this is in the best part of town, so it helps at the cost of living up here is very low. We keep the thermostat at 68 degrees year-round. We eat out once a month. My plan is to dip my toes back in the workforce after my fiance retires meaning starting out with a part time job. I myself can make up to about $21,000 a year and still stay on the healthy Indiana plan... Plus our son can stay on Medicaid as long as we make $50,000 a year or under. One of these days if I do get a full time job, the reality is that all three of us will eventually have to be on Obamacare as my fiance will have to be come June or July but we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Despite living very modestly, we are very happy. I am living proof that not all young women are looking for a rich sugar daddy.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
I had forgotten all about this thread. I chose not to move by my friend, still too clingy. Loveable but clingy. I would suffocate.

Still looking at Tennessee.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 PM

5,030 posts, read 3,217,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when does subsidized housing come with cable and internet?

How does he get $194 SNAP? In Oregon he would get ZERO SNAP.
WA too he gets ZERO

Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times
Thanks so much for your post, Meo. When I clicked on to view the new posts, I saw your post from December talking about your male friend. I was gonna ask you about your decision but you beat me to it. Sorry it didn't work out, if that is what you wanted. Otherwise, glad it didn't work out it this is what you wanted. Your happiness is important to all of us on this thread. Hope you are doing better, as I have to do, keep looking forward and don't look back on sadness. Gonna visit Tennessee in April?

Please reply in the Chat thread. I forgot this was a specific thread and us continuing our "chat" here would be off-topic.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 02-23-2016 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Added last line.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 PM

445 posts, read 281,862 times
Meo and Az Desert Brat, also off topic, but it's an older thread so hoping nobody cares. In my twenties I dated a guy for a couple years. We were agreed that the ideal marriage housing arrangement would be one where we would buy three adjacent apartments. The middle one to share, private ones on each side. We parted for other reasons but stayed great friends until his death, and often talked about our ideal living idea. So you are not alone!

Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM

1,819 posts, read 717,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yep, he can live just fine.... Too bad so much is being taken from others against their will to provide him with the standard of living...
Oh, please. She made it clear he would rather work and is disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement