U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:43 PM

26,092 posts, read 28,500,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Wait, though, don't get me wrong, my dad and uncles were vets and I think they deserve a TON. But what I see at the VA is guys who went thru the service for a few years, then want to claim every disability in the book (everybody has PTSD regardless of where/how they served. . They get good health care (depending on your VA hospital of course- some not so great) and even get money to compensate for their travel expenses.

Not true of most vets of course but there is plenty of free loading going on by SOME people.
I have a friend who is a social worker for the VA and she said the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 AM

26,092 posts, read 28,500,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Excellent idea and perspective. That would take care of people at all income levels. Maybe a mandatory "no cashing out before age 62."
Yes, absolutely no cashing out early unless you have a lot of $$ in the plan...and then only a certain percentage. (I'd allow extra contributions beyond the minimum, up to a point).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement