U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is something I point out often, and people just look at me as if I have 3 heads or something.

Do an online search for Depression-era photographs of bread lines, soup lines. Notice that all the people in those lines are MEN. What happened to the women, the children? Truth is, they had to rely on church charity, and many of them slept outdoors all night. Many of them became ill, and died.

Women and children are the "hidden poor", the people that everybody assumes are being taken care of by men. Usually, they are not. They are the ones bravely trying to look "normal" at school, at work, in public. More $$$ are spent on helping men, while the women and kids run around trying to make ends meet in whatever manner possible. Often, they succeed, while their men lie around drunk all day and all night.
Many of the men in the Great Depression abandoned their families and took to the railroad tracks, some to find work to feed them, others never to return again. We have this on both sides in our family. Often, men who were in skilled professions, after losing their work, would sit in a depressive funk all day, too proud to join the bread lines, while their women went out and did menial work like taking in laundry and ironing. The women, as you say, had to humiliate themselves asking the churches for help. Interesting that the women were strong enough, a decade+ later, to hold down the fort at home with jobs while the men went off to war. Many young mothers and their kids had to go home to their parents, or otherwise double up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,727,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is something I point out often, and people just look at me as if I have 3 heads or something.

Do an online search for Depression-era photographs of bread lines, soup lines. Notice that all the people in those lines are MEN. What happened to the women, the children? Truth is, they had to rely on church charity, and many of them slept outdoors all night. Many of them became ill, and died.

Women and children are the "hidden poor", the people that everybody assumes are being taken care of by men. Usually, they are not. They are the ones bravely trying to look "normal" at school, at work, in public. More $$$ are spent on helping men, while the women and kids run around trying to make ends meet in whatever manner possible. Often, they succeed, while their men lie around drunk all day and all night.
I agree with you -- except a lot of those men were standing in line for their families too. But mothers who were widowed/divorced/disserted fared far worse than the men, you're right.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 AM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
please put your cans in a separate bag. I really don't like picking them out of the potato peelings.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:17 AM

4,489 posts, read 4,749,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
please put your cans in a separate bag. I really don't like picking them out of the potato peelings.

You go girl!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:21 AM

71,736 posts, read 71,853,273 times
one of my favorite shots i took in manhattan

Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How would a person living at poverty level live in the present, while prudently providing for retirement?
Quote:
Are you serious? You'd have to get out into Unashack territory to find a place without building codes. Good luck finding transportation or a job there.

All I need to make money is a reasonable amount of space (200 to 400 sq ft) and a sane living environment without out-of-control drunks.
Quote:
I have a general theory about this

People with fulfilling work/career will seek to return to work and exit an assistance program (e.g. unemployment) as soon as possible.

People with unfulfilling work/job will seek to avoid returning to work as long as possible, and will tend to milk assistance programs as long as they can.

If my theory is correct, it should be easy to predict at program entry the prospects for an individual to exit the program timely, and perhaps to adjust policy.
All answered many times before, ad infinitum, ad nauseum in all too many threads.

As always, excuses. Nothing but "poor pitiful me" excuses for the passive dependents, lazy and uninspired.

One answer fits all. Get a freaking job!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:34 PM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
And, lifestyle concern, while volunteering is great, he needs to use his brain a bit more, I think. Or maybe he is and you (understandably) didn't mention it.
He can go to the library (books, computers, DVDs, periodicals). Also, I just researched "free things to do in Las Vegas." Sorry for the all caps. It was just easier to cut and paste. Here are just a few free things:

LAS VEGAS SPRINGS PRESERVE: Trails and gardens are free to public.
MIRAGE CORAL REEF AQUARIUM
CBS TELEVISION RESEARCH CENTER ( CBS Television City Research Center puts you in the network TV show process, as you see new and upcoming programs and get to voice your opinion on them.)
ETHEL M CHOCOLATE FACTORY TOUR
CITY HALL ART GALLERIES
THE AQUARIUM AT THE SILVERTON
ANDERSON DAIRY TOUR
FREE TROLLEY RIDE AT THE DISTRICT
SHELBY TOUR, MUSEUM & SHOWROOM LAS VEGAS (famous cars)
M & M's WORLD LAS VEGAS TOUR
NEVADA TEST SITE TOUR
FIRST FRIDAY IN THE ARTS DISTRICT (once a month - outdoor festival of art perusal and appreciation. Local bands perform throughout the evening)
BARRICK NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM (UNLV campus)
HOWARD W. CANNON AVIATION MUSEUM
CIRCUS ACTS AT CIRCUS CIRCUS
BELLAGIO BOTANICAL GARDENS
OPEN AIR CONCERTS (assorted locations)
Many, many free events at the hotels.

Free things to do in Las Vegas Do free things in Las Vegas

Las Vegas Free Attractions | Vegas.com

CBS Television City Research Center - CBS Television City Research Center Las Vegas - Vegas Attractions | Vegas.com

There is also a Las Vegas Senior Center. Don't know if it's free.

Las Vegas Senior Center (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

Old 04-18-2015, 02:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,770,835 times
you can get by cheap if you have to.
all you have to do is look up the median income in
some parts of the US to know that.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:49 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,768,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
All answered many times before, ad infinitum, ad nauseum in all too many threads.

As always, excuses. Nothing but "poor pitiful me" excuses for the passive dependents, lazy and uninspired.

One answer fits all. Get a freaking job!
When I got a freaking job at minimum wage when I was 18, I was able to completely support myself and live in an apartment. That was almost 40 years ago. Who can support themselves in an apartment on minimum wage today? The constant "excuse" for people on welfare needing to "just" get a job is getting very old.

But maybe the problem isn't jobs, or money, or food. Maybe the problem is as simple as lowering what it costs to rent or buy housing. Of all the things that have affected people the most over the last 25 years, it's the elevated cost of housing, followed by the cost of education, and then the cost of transportation (price of cars, gas, car repair, insurance, availability and price of public transportation, etc). I would also have to add medical costs on to that, except I think today a lot of medical costs are higher simply because we use medical care to keep people living, where medical care in the past would have not been able to save those people. I include myself in that one.

Poverty isn't so bad if you know it's temporary and you have hope for the future. With no hope and no way out, you just give up. When you've tried and been knocked down upmteen times trying to get out of poverty and you never succeed, depression sets in and you don't try anymore. At that point, you're in a bad corner, but when getting out of it takes more energy than you have, you'll stay there and then do what you have to just to survive.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,882,516 times
Another thing I may throw into the mix is possibly moving to FL (lots of family there plus I like the beach) and buying a block cottage a few blocks off the beach outright. They can't take primary residences in FL even if some financial crisis strikes and you bankrupt. This may be at odds with the title of this thread but maybe not. I know a few places that are "old Florida little pink houses" where a 2 block walk to the beach and not much business within a few miles makes for cheap housing. Playing it right to reduce tax issues, it could come out of a 401k like prepaid rent. I will actually have plenty of equity (assuming no crisis in the next few years) or outright own my desirable middle class NC residence before I retire, so I am not planning to retire poor, but I won't work longer for just a few bumps in the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement