Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yep, he can live just fine.... Too bad so much is being taken from others against their will to provide him with the standard of living...

Now if government had simply allowed low earners to buy tiny homes they could afford, he'd have a paid off tiny home by now and would not need taxpayer-subsidized housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:35 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,108,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Now if government had simply allowed low earners to buy tiny homes they could afford, he'd have a paid off tiny home by now and would not need taxpayer-subsidized housing.
Yea, sorry, as I sit in my 224 sqft I don't buy your bull****. (not that that ever did.)

Don't like the laws where you are:

MOVE!

Quit blaming your failures on everyone else, man up and accept responsibility for yourself for 1x in your life!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 AM

106,249 posts, read 108,257,613 times
save your breath . he will never change and will just fill the forum threads with tales of poor freemkt and how no one will lower their standards so his failure can be rewarded in some fashion.

we have been listening to his complaining for years now with no action on his side..

Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,849,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when does subsidized housing come with cable and internet?

How does he get $194 SNAP? In Oregon he would get ZERO SNAP.
I agree. $194 is the full amount a single person without kids can get on SNAP. I know, because that's what I'm getting and that's because my income is $200 a month right now. However, when my disability goes through or I retire, whichever comes first, the amount I get for SNAP will take a nose dive. I will be lucky if I get $20 a month and probably less than that, and my income will be less than your mythical friend.

SNAP is dependent on your income and if you have an income of any kind, you are going to lose a substantial portion of your SNAP.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,849,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Can he get the low-income senior housing in just a few months? He has to live in LV before he can sign up, right? So if he doesn't have family or friends in the area, where will he live in the meantime?

I think the relocation is going to be the biggest challenge for Dave.
If Dave applies for Section 8, provided it's actually open and taking applicants, his wait will be at least 5 or more years.

If he applies for low income housing, he just has to wait until someone else dies or moves out. It could be a couple months to a couple years. When I applied for housing where I'm at, I was told it would take at least a year, however, I got a room in just three months. Otherwise, if Dave doesn't find housing right away, he can continue living with his relatives or live like the rest of us do, in our vehicles or on the streets until something becomes available.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yea, sorry, as I sit in my 224 sqft I don't buy your bull****. (not that that ever did.)

Don't like the laws where you are:

MOVE!

Quit blaming your failures on everyone else, man up and accept responsibility for yourself for 1x in your life!

You're saying that people should NOT be allowed to buy what they can afford?

The property-owning majority is rent-seeking (in the economic sense) and uses government to that end in order to redistribute wealth upward from renters to owners...and you have no problem with that.

Move to where? Rent-seeking property owners are the majority pretty much everywhere, so there's effectively no place for the minority to escape oppression.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If Dave applies for Section 8, provided it's actually open and taking applicants, his wait will be at least 5 or more years.

If he applies for low income housing, he just has to wait until someone else dies or moves out. It could be a couple months to a couple years. When I applied for housing where I'm at, I was told it would take at least a year, however, I got a room in just three months. Otherwise, if Dave doesn't find housing right away, he can continue living with his relatives or live like the rest of us do, in our vehicles or on the streets until something becomes available.

That is an awfully big IF. In Portland, the Section 8 waiting list opens about every five years and 85% of the wannabes (18,000 out of 21,000) cannot even get on the waiting list as a lottery weeds them out. Most of the subsidized low-income housing has five to ten year waiting lists, which of course are closed about 98 percent of the time.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
save your breath . he will never change and will just fill the forum threads with tales of poor freemkt and how no one will lower their standards so his failure can be rewarded in some fashion.

we have been listening to his complaining for years now with no action on his side..

Ever heard of tiny house communities? It's the future of affordable housing whether you like it or not.

Tiny House Communities

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 AM

106,249 posts, read 108,257,613 times
yeah we call them trailer parks or bungalow colony's in most areas.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-17-2015 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,764,298 times
I am in Florida, many retired people here live on a shoestring. A friend gets $490 in SS, $310 in you don't make $ from the government. Also gets $200 in food stamps, She worked under the table most of her life, wanted that instant gratification, never put away a dime. Now, as she has always done, lives from paycheck to paycheck. She pays 0 for Medicare and gets all her scripts free. Plus, free dental! She lives in a dump of a single wide mobile home and pays around $300 a month in lot rent, she bought her mobile home for $500, from her last tax refund (2013). No car. She wastes $150 a month of her money on cigarettes, she has cable, internet and greats a free snap cell phone.

Right now I clear $1,296.00 from SS, when I am 70, I will switch from my deceased husbands to mine. The gov. deducts $104 for the script part of Medicare, also estimated taxes. I get no food stamps, no aid of any type, never have, in fact, I have never collected unemployment. I, like so many other seniors who worked and contributed the max to SS are the real losers. We are the same ones who invested for our future retirement, and are punished for doing so, all we do is continue to pay...taxes on every dime we have saved....over and over again...the American way! I am not wealthy, I live in a small home and within my means.

My friend is one of many, that in retirement, gets way more than she contributed, anytime she hears the word "free" or new a new government aid program, she is the first in line and she will get it, she knows how to play the system. My father worked for over 45 years at one place, never earned a lot of money, always contributed to the system, rec'd less than $900 a month SS at age 65, no food stamps, this friend gets more than he did...explain this to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement