U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

looking for May-Oct location that is friendly to 50ish former financial professionals. how are Princeton, the Poconos, and New Paltz? want somewhere not pretentious but with a variety of restaurants, activities, good walk ability, biking, and within 2 hrs of NYC, Phila. and friendly to newcomers. jersey shore seems a bit too homegrown. where should we looK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njflasnowbird View Post
looking for May-Oct location that is friendly to 50ish former financial professionals. how are Princeton, the Poconos, and New Paltz? want somewhere not pretentious but with a variety of restaurants, activities, good walk ability, biking, and within 2 hrs of NYC, Phila. and friendly to newcomers. jersey shore seems a bit too homegrown. where should we looK?
You might look at the Middletown/Red Bank NJ areas.

I was was stationed at Ft Monmouth many years ago and lived there. Easy commute to NYC (hour or so by train), reasonable cost of living (for NJ anyway). Just a nice place.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
What kind of activities that you are looking for? outdoor? cultural?

Why not take some short visits to see which cities and towns are more to your liking? I'd think that Princeton and New Paltz would have more cultural activities than Pocono.

I live in the Mid Hudson Valley (90 minutes north of NY city - 1.5 hrs Metro North commuter train to Grand Central). The cities along or near both sides of the river are medium or small. There are some nice restaurants (many chefs came from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park - the home of Roosevelt). There are many outdoor activities: rowing, kayaking, sailing on the river, hiking/rock climbing in Minnewaska, the Mohonk Preserve, horseback riding in Millbrook/Pleasant Valley area. There is a long hiking/biking trail as part of the Walkway over the Hudson

Walkway Over The Hudson

There are some small artist colonies/art galleries in Rhinebeck and Cragsmoor. A bit further north is Woodstock and bit further east is Kent in CT which also have art galleries, nice restaurants and interesting boutique shops.

There are several colleges and universities in my side of the river (Marist, Vassar, Bard colleges) which frequently offer cultural activities (art shows, plays, concerts, symphonies).

Old 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks so much. Lectures, theater, music, golfing, biking, foreign films, etc. which mid Hudson Valley towns would be dog friendly and welcoming to newcomers?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,820,670 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. Lectures, theater, music, golfing, biking, foreign films, etc. which mid Hudson Valley towns would be dog friendly and welcoming to newcomers?
I would say Princeton would be best for the criteria you mention.

Google 'Town Topics'. It's a Princeton-based small weekley newspaper. It lists all the various activities going on in town, and with the university there, there is always something to do.

You can take the Dinky to the Princeton Junction train station - a one-mile ride - and from there go to the city or Philadelphia (or anywhere, really, if you get off at Newark International Airport!).

Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
We have dog(s) too and has taken them pretty much everywhere without any problems. There is a dog park near our house but we prefer taking our dog to wooded trails where we can let her run loose (with an electronic collar control - we only need to use vibrate mode to get her attention).

You can live in Rhinebeck, Redhook, Millbrook in the East side of the river or New Paltz, Kingston, Woodstock on the other side. Poughkeepsie city has a nice theater and a civic center. The downtown is a bit rundown but there are areas with beautiful Victorian homes. The outskirt towns are very nice with many new homes (sprung up after 9/11 with people fleeing NY city). Downtown Kingston in the waterfront area is quite bustling with restaurants and a maritime museum (when I last visited there during a moonlight row, I met the actress who played in the play 'The other Mozart' written by her sister. I also met a Tibetian singer whom I was told pretty famous (I forgot her name). She had performed with Annie Lennox etc. There are a lot of art activities and concerts in Woodstock and we are not very far from Tanglewood, the summer home of the BSO.

People in this area is not as friendly or neighborly as the Midwest where we originally come from but we have found many good friends from work, church and sport clubs (aviation, rowing and scuba diving).

Old 04-17-2015, 03:01 PM

5,537 posts, read 9,937,499 times
Hard to say without knowing your budget. Princeton is very pricy. Bethlehem, PA is more reasonably priced and offers a lot of what you are looking for.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:34 PM

Taxes/HOA fees total less than 10k a year, townhouse for 350k.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:04 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,010,159 times
Quote:
Taxes/HOA fees total less than 10k a year, townhouse for 350k.
I always thought PA was fairly cheap to live. $10k/year for tax and HOA seems quite high for retirement, but I guess if you can cover that for the next 20 years it would be doable.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM

160 posts, read 89,067 times
It's very pretty in Bucks County along the river. Close to Princeton with lots of shops, restaurants, theater, wineries and outdoor areas for hiking, etc. Why not check out the New Hope/Lambertville area?

I Love New Hope**&**I Love Lambertville - Home

It's also close to both NYC and Philly as well as the beach which can be as close as an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or