U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:10 AM

15,242 posts, read 8,532,850 times

Advertisements

Unless you have infants/toddlers is there ANY good reason to have all bedrooms on 2nd floor? Regardless of health issues, don't parents with kids want a little privacy for their "adult time"?! ha

As for stairs "forcing" you to stay in shape - you won't appreciate it with a broken bone or back problems...be a responsible adult and CHOOSE to stay in shape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM

6,350 posts, read 7,829,685 times
For me, I live in a 2 storey cape with one bathroom on the second floor. I'm up and down those stairs on average seven or eight times a day. (and night)

I had open heart surgery and my surgeon advised that as long as I didn't "pull" myself up, he had no problem with my climbing the stairs during my six weeks recuperation period. He said, "Consider it physical therapy." I had colon cancer surgery and for the six months following, I was on chemo. During that time, I lived in my son's townhouse with his family. My room was on the second floor where there was a full bath, with a half-bath on the first floor. No problems there, up and down the stairs as I was able. Some days were tougher than others depending on the sequence of the chemo.

I have been back in my own home for the past six years and continue to climb the stairs to the bath/bedroom. Additionally, my laundry room is in the basement, so more stairs; fortunately, I don't have a lot of laundry so I don't have to make as many trips up/down as I did when I had a family to launder.

I would think that it's individual to each, and certainly there is much to be said for planning ahead. I didn't, thinking I'd never have to worry about getting old but here I am at 79. One thing I can say, I'm glad of the stairs or I might weigh a whole lot more than I do!

While I would never advise anyone as to the plans they make for future living, I can only say what has worked for me thus far- knowing that it could change any minute now. Then I'll deal with whatever it is.

ETA: I've lived in this same house for 40 years.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM

950 posts, read 714,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I wanted no stairs.

I have a weight bench in my carport
I do calesthenics in my carport

I have beautiful scenic roads to go on my regular 2 mile walks

If I am healthy ...........no problem
If I have health problems...........I am already prepared ( no stairs)

The worst possible reason to have a house with stairs is because it keeps you in shape.

To add.............in December I had hip replacement.
Mighty glad I had a bedroom an d bathroom on main floor for a few weeks.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM

6,819 posts, read 3,867,159 times
Best to have no stairs at all. Vacuuming them and carrying stuff up and down becomes difficult even without some kind of injury.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
  1. Will a bedroom/ bath in the main be a main consideration in choosing your retirement residence?
yes

2. If so at what age do you think that climbing up or down the stairs 2-3 times a day becomes a chore or worse? I understand this will be dependent on the individual. I guess my question pertains to a person of average health.

For me, it became a chore last winter to walk up the stone steps to the barn twice a day to take care of our horses. Fall risk, and I'm 52 and healthy. But I was scared to death that if I felll DH could not help me.

A healthy and active 62 in 2012 was DH when his hip cartilage was gone. I remember just before retiring when he got home once and the pain was so bad he had to crawl up the stairs from the living room to the main living area.

At first he thought it was back pain, but after that episode I dragged him to the chiropractor and we found out about his hip.

So there you go. Once a happy healthy guy fixing up old tractors, working on cars and playing around with his JD backhoe to not being able to do stairs without pain, step stool to get into shower, no going outside in bad winter weather for six months.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,953,398 times
We recently moved into what we believe will our retirement house. My husband is completely disabled due to 10 years of head and neck cancer treatment. I have osteoarthritis of the spine and permanent nerve damage in my legs. We had planned on a stair-free house, but found a place we loved up on a ridge. The front door enters at mid-level between two stories. It is only 7 stairs to get to the upper level, which has the master suite, guest bedroom, guest bath, kitchen, den, living and dining room. It is working out okay for now.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 9,605,753 times
Thought we would never need it and then fell and damaged my leg in my 50s. Could not get up the stairs to bed. Thankfully we had a bath on the first floor so I slept on the sofa until I could crawl up the stairs.

Then husband tore up his knee in exercise class. Again, thankful for the first floor bathroom. He was 63.

A friend is having knee replacement surgery and she is about 65. They have a bathroom on the first floor so they are going to push forward installation of a Murphy bed.

Anyone can have an accident or illness that makes stairs difficult or impossible. Better to be prepared.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:15 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
I'm in my early 50s and just bought a new house with no bedroom on the first floor. There is a powder room and I could theoretically enlarge that to include a shower and convert other living area to a bedroom. In reality, I am far more likely to sell and move to a single floor condo in an elevator building if I couldn't handle stairs on a permanent basis.

But I also believe that going up and down stairs helps maintain mobility. My mother is 76 and goes up and down her stairs just fine in a 2 story plus finished basement that she and my dad bought when they were in their late 60s.

If I had a temporary impairment, I'd figure it out the same way I did when I had hip surgery in 30s - obviously long before anyone would plan to need single floor living. But yes, there are ways to work it out when you need to.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
We've had an en suite bath in our last three homes but some of the master bedrooms have been a longer walk to the bathroom than the main bath in the hall so it all depends on the layout.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 AM

282 posts, read 306,027 times
1) Agree that age only in mid-70's. But could be sooner or later.
2) IMO, stairs are good exercise if you are still physically able. So a plus to have unless you can't do it.
3) If you buy the retirement home at age 55, that is twenty years away and you could want to move during those 20 years, so stairs OK in the 50's. I don't plan on being in the same home for the next 50 years.

I didn't think about the temporary need for a one-story, such as an injury or surgery recovery. Thanks to those that posted that idea.

Last edited by CSRSJim; 04-19-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or