U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:25 PM

47 posts, read 103,891 times

Advertisements

We are a 50+ couple headed toward retirement in the next 8 years or so. My wife is concerned that our current home does not have a bedroom/ bathroom in the main floor. I don't see this as a problem for the next 15 to 20 years (perhaps because of a severe lack of imagination) and after that who knows. My questions to the esteemed forum are as follows:
  1. Will a bedroom/ bath in the main be a main consideration in choosing your retirement residence?
  2. If so at what age do you think that climbing up or down the stairs 2-3 times a day becomes a chore or worse? I understand this will be dependent on the individual. I guess my question pertains to a person of average health.
I would like to downsize to a townhome and I don't see many of these in our area with bath/bed in the main. In the area where I live bedroom/bath in the main is hard to find even in the detached homes.

Curious to see what everyone thinks.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Yes, definitely need a bedroom with a bath on the first floor.

Not so much for me but for mobility challenged BH.

Around 70 yo.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:39 PM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
Heart failure here, so everything on one floor without even a step up from the drive was what sold me on my retirement home. I have two large bed rooms and use one as a den.

In the house I sold, I would often walk around the house to the back rather than go up the half dozen steps to the front entry.

I love this place. I am close to 70.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM

28,505 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk1057 View Post

We are a 50+ couple headed toward retirement in the next 8 years or so.
My wife is concerned that our current home does not have a bedroom/ bathroom in the main floor.
I would like to downsize to a townhome.
If you're going to downsize do it before you need to.
Not likely to find a TH with lower level master.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 PM

2,851 posts, read 918,367 times
Break a hip and you'll quickly find out... and I hope you NEVER break a hip...

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM

950 posts, read 715,339 times
My retirement house I bought is handicap accessable and one story.

No, I don't need it now,but it will aid me when I do.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:58 PM

6,590 posts, read 3,674,133 times
I think it's hard to predict - I'm usually healthy but had a bad experience with statin drugs and could barely climb up a full set of stairs. My wife broke a hip at 61. There are lots of reasons to keep things as simple as possible. I think Mark Twain said men age from the bottom up and women age from the top down. So far, I think he is right -- in my case anyway...

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk1057 View Post
We are a 50+ couple headed toward retirement in the next 8 years or so. My wife is concerned that our current home does not have a bedroom/ bathroom in the main floor. I don't see this as a problem for the next 15 to 20 years (perhaps because of a severe lack of imagination) and after that who knows. My questions to the esteemed forum are as follows:
  1. Will a bedroom/ bath in the main be a main consideration in choosing your retirement residence?
  2. If so at what age do you think that climbing up or down the stairs 2-3 times a day becomes a chore or worse? I understand this will be dependent on the individual. I guess my question pertains to a person of average health.
I would like to downsize to a townhome and I don't see many of these in our area with bath/bed in the main. In the area where I live bedroom/bath in the main is hard to find even in the detached homes.
Buy a single story, ranch home - if you can find it. That, or plan on installing a stair lift some day. Even then, one needs to be able to sit.

Answers to your Qs:
  1. Yes - absolutely - AND a first floor laundry.
  2. Age isn't the only issue. Although, by mid 70s, you aren't going to be liking those stairs, much. Illness/surgery also are realistic considerations.
Your wife is right. My entire life I've always wished I had at least one bedroom on the first floor. What if one of you has major surgery and needs months of convalescence??? It happens.

I broke my leg at age 65 - was still working at the time so I was in pretty good shape. Spent over two months recovering in my two-story home w/brs and bath on 2nd floor, 1st flr pwdr rm. First two weeks I slept in recliner on first floor. Finally had to get in my own bed. The only way I could do that was scoot up and down the stairs on my behind. I kept a set of crutches at top and bottom of stairs.

Now 73 y/o, no ailments - but should another issue arise where I need convalescence - this is NOT the house for it. Today I look at those stairs and realize - if I stay here long enough - a stair lift might some day be necessary - although I'm perfectly fine right now.

Comments above on broken hip/hip surgery/heart failure and who knows what other ailment - all very real considerations.

If you are planning to move, by all means - 1st floor br/bath - and laundry - are an absolute must, imho. Plan ahead.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-17-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 PM

1,521 posts, read 978,321 times
Heck, I bought a one story house before I was 50. Got tired of the stairs, especially if I injured myself playing basketball. I ripped my patella tendon last year which forced me to "retire" from the sport. Sure am glad I didn't have stairs!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:31 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,804,608 times
When we were house hunting in a new state 9 years ago, I wanted a master on the main. My spouse emphatically didn't, he wanted to be on the same floor as the kids. Now the kids are college grads and on their way out, and he admits how silly he was. We could easily live on one floor of this big house, if only we had a bedroom. We're looking for a ranch.

Why heat or cool more than one level, even if you don't mind the stairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or