U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:03 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,738,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One word: "Insurance." House burns down we come out ahead. Hmm! As for the burglars, hopefully we'll be home. I love the smell of cordite in the morning. Yes, I am sure you do. NO doubt at all.
Yes, of course -- I forgot about insurance -- and I even have apartment insurance. But if your money was in the mattress -- how would you prove it was there to begin with? Seriously. I'm curious. I've always figured that if money I have stuffed away (somewhere in my place) -- if I lose it (memory problems?), if it is stolen, if the apartment burns down -- I've just lost it. How can I ensure that I won't?

As for the other thing -- it's very hard to be aggressive successfully when we're old and sick/disabled. I am not in the best of health either, as you know -- I sure wouldn't try it. Nothing like that is worth losing my life over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,302,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
We wouldn't be able to sell -- but it could come in really handy for bartering/trade.
Your average mellinial that what you call them? pays for their coffee at Starbucks with their I Phone. I highly doubt they know what the silver content of coins would be. Point is you might get along for a couple of months.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,557,477 times
Quote:
Yes, of course -- I forgot about insurance -- and I even have apartment insurance. But if your money was in the mattress -- how would you prove it was there to begin with? Seriously. I'm curious. I've always figured that if money I have stuffed away (somewhere in my place) -- if I lose it (memory problems?), if it is stolen, if the apartment burns down -- I've just lost it. How can I ensure that I won't?

As for the other thing -- it's very hard to be aggressive successfully when we're old and sick/disabled. I am not in the best of health either, as you know -- I sure wouldn't try it. Nothing like that is worth losing my life over.
You can't insure it. However, we would be well compensated for "furnishings" and likely downsize, make do with less and come out ahead if we had a total loss. Come on tornado!

For the record, we have accounts with several banks so our "mattress" is not really used and just enough cash is kept on hand for convenient, very local shopping.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,895,869 times
Quote:
Everything is going to further the inequality income gap, for the present and probably for a long time in the future.

But the other tragedy is that we're just letting it happen. On the other hand, a population revolution is no match these days for 'the forces that be' on the other side.

Even voting doesn't help. The Boston Globe -- The Boston Globe! -- ran a lengthy piece recently about how voting (president, senatorial, house of reps -- and even local government) is a big lie and joke. (It's been so long since I voted for anyone or anything that I can't remember when I last did -- because I believed that it doesn't matter, and I still believe that way, only more so now.)

I don't know what the answers are. I do know that if things remain as they are, give or take a little, I'm all right for the next 15-20 years. If things get worse -- and they easily could -- well, I'll cross that bridge when it comes up.
I find my self agreeing with many of your posts, but I am at odds with you on his one. I tell my 18 yo son that Thom Tillis (who he can't stand) is his senator. Not mine, because I voted for Kay Hagan. It was a very close election and the if the youth vote had turned out like it did in 2012 Hagan would likely have won (almost undoubtedly; I have seen the numbers crunched in a couple of articles). I vote every time. I do tend to compromise to try to make my vote count. If I run one of those "who should I vote for" apps I am Green Party, but I vote Dem instead because I don't want to throw away my vote and as much as I agree with the platform plank, Jill Stein has no business being president (Bless her heart ).

Old 04-18-2015, 02:49 PM

29,905 posts, read 34,959,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Extremely complex ,I agree .but for those who can evaluate what they are buying this new rule can make for some interesting combos exempt from rmd's
If they are offered as is in their workplace savings plan which is one of the big issues of what is and isn't offered. What will probably happen is the old garbage marketed as being a hybrid of the new ones. Sorta like Beta/Hybrid index funds with higher fees and load charges. Interesting you note they are complex and not easily evaluated which by the proposed new standards might make them to complex for the average person to buy.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,560,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Too bad there will never be laws that can protect us against bad advice due to ignorance and stupidity.
Yep. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately since we're all *guilty* at one time or other), they haven't yet figured out how to make ignorance or stupidity illegal.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 AM

29,905 posts, read 34,959,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yep. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately since we're all *guilty* at one time or other), they haven't yet figured out how to make ignorance or stupidity illegal.
But they have figured ways to make one persons ignorance or stupidity part of the rules for those who aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement