U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 10,375,338 times

Advertisements

read it again, texdav. She said no mobile home parks unless 55+.

No guarantees of course but sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM

8,857 posts, read 7,740,377 times
Mobile Home parks and RV parks are commonly written off as "Redneck Heaven". Some of you might be surprised at how nice some can be. They have an added advantage. Since this is private property, they can and do enforce rules against being a PIA. Some have rules against barking dogs. They have quiet hours. And since its private property, they can kick people out who don't abide by the rules. Sometimes you have to ignore the steriotypes and investigate for yourself.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:19 PM

482 posts, read 401,387 times
We currently live on 3.5 acres with a well and septic, and no HOA.

Sounds like paradise - no water or sewer bills, no nagging HOA?

Guess what. Well pumps go bad - thousands of $$. Wells go dry - more $thousands. Septic tanks need to be pumped. You can't have a garbage disposal on a septic tank.

And no HOA means your neighbors can do any $#@! thing they want as long as they don't violate county ordinances. Neighbors can be extremely creative, in a bad way.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:42 PM

6,326 posts, read 4,768,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm glad lots of folks don't do it or everyplace would be crowded. Our plans are somewhat different that what some might guess. First, no mobile home parks, unless its 55+. That will cut down on the riffraff. 2. National parks and forests that are not overloaded with weekend partyers. 3. Snow birding with other seniors for the winter. 4. Stay away from places that attract children and active youths.

We'll just have to see how this works. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We've stayed in some RV parks already in the rented rooms they have and they all seemed peaceful and people were quiet and well mannered.

As he's gotten older, my son is much better with change. What really helps is that we talk about it ahead and so avoid sudden changes. But he's gotten used to change. We've moved quite a few times. And at this point, he wants to move.
1. Don't count on over 55 mobile home parks cutting down on the riffraff.

2. National parks and forests are indeed often overloaded with weekend visitors including those who come to party. If you are within 300 miles of a city you can expect lots of weekend visitors. I have learned to plan my trips around the weekends. If I am moving to a new area I try to do that on a Sunday afternoon to get the best chance of finding a campsite. Never try for Friday or Saturday nights.

3. Winter snowbird areas are some of the worst places I have ever seen. Enjoy your stay at Yuma or Lake Havasu or the like. You will be jammed into a small space with neighbors very close and the costs will not be cheap.

4. I agree about avoiding places that are attractive for children and younger people. Stay away from lakes, rivers and water of any sort.

You will be able to find some very nice RV parks but be ready to spend some serious cash for them.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,478,991 times
Sometimes people have to experience things themselves. If I'd listened to the naysayers in my life, I would not have experienced some beautiful things.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,478,991 times
And, no, not everything was pleasant, but I would not have known unless I'd experienced it for myself. And taking the chance on living in San Francisco is still a beautiful memory. I had to go home after 3 years because my mother needed help, but it's a beautiful memory.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:09 PM

639 posts, read 1,747,223 times
An RV lifestyle can take many forms. I follow blogs of several fulltime RV'ers that have been on the road for years. They are very generous in giving information on costs and locations. We now go and boondock in AZ for months at a time. Eventually we may sell the house and fulltime but I'm not sure hubby can part with all his stuff. Property taxes may be the deciding factor.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:28 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Our family has had it with living in a subdivision. High costs on property taxes, insurance, and water and sewer bills has been bad enough. But around here, what broke the camels back for us is the increasing love for everyone to have a dog, leave it in the backyard, and bark at anything that moves. I really don't like it, but it drives my autistic son absolutely nuts. Anyone else had it?

There's plenty of alternatives. We're going to try full time RVing, but we know that will not be forever, so a retirement mobile home park also might be in our future.
I live in south texas. Every now and then I think about moving to a subdivision, but then I think about how close everyone would be.

I live on three city lots with an acre that is in the county. There is nothing behind our house but open fields and our neighbors are 75 feet away on each side. Yes, it is a lot of work to maintain the yard, but it is so peaceful.

Can you find something like that in Lubbock?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM

7,781 posts, read 4,777,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
If I'd listened to the naysayers in my life, I would not have experienced some beautiful things.
I predict "someone" will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are about that.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,023,795 times
I'm not sure about RVing in retirement. I've heard there are people that do it to save on the fixed costs. I have to admit being able to pickup your stuff and drive somewhere else sounds exciting and scary at the same time.

Dogs.... my development is full of dogs. Only 2 houses on my street don't have a dog. They bark, they escape and I sometimes have to cleanup on my property when a stray does his business. Aren't children enough to keep you busy?

Forget the coyotes. such noisy critters... and they drive the neighborhood dogs crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement