Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

Our family has had it with living in a subdivision. High costs on property taxes, insurance, and water and sewer bills has been bad enough. But around here, what broke the camels back for us is the increasing love for everyone to have a dog, leave it in the backyard, and bark at anything that moves. I really don't like it, but it drives my autistic son absolutely nuts. Anyone else had it?

There's plenty of alternatives. We're going to try full time RVing, but we know that will not be forever, so a retirement mobile home park also might be in our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
For the vast majority of people full time RV living means living in a RV or mobile home park. RVs are jammed in tight and it seems everyone has a dog, TV and boom box. Should I mention domestic disputes and theft?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Ages and number of people in your family would help.
Do your intend to move around the country or stay put.?
I think an RV is going the worse for your desired life style.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Our family has had it with living in a subdivision. High costs on property taxes, insurance, and water and sewer bills has been bad enough. But around here, what broke the camels back for us is the increasing love for everyone to have a dog, leave it in the backyard, and bark at anything that moves. I really don't like it, but it drives my autistic son absolutely nuts. Anyone else had it?

There's plenty of alternatives. We're going to try full time RVing, but we know that will not be forever, so a retirement mobile home park also might be in our future.
Yeah, I get it, though we don't live in a subdivision. I wouldn't RV, personally, just too expensive and tiring I would imagine. What I would do is find a sweet little bungalow with no neighbors close by, and then be gone on extended road trips by car as much as possible. That is our plan, seeing as much of Vermont, NH, and Maine as we can, staying at inns near lakes and the ocean. Perhaps that bungalow will actually be in Maine.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
.... What I would do is find a sweet little bungalow with no neighbors close by, and then be gone on extended road trips by car as much as possible. ......
Ah the good old days. Now that little bungalow with no neighbors is likely to be robbed the first night you travel.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:24 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Ah the good old days. Now that little bungalow with no neighbors is likely to be robbed the first night you travel.
I don't know where you live but there are places where theft is not that common.

OP-would RVing be good for your son? I've never had experience directly with anyone autistic (except for drawing their blood occasionally) but as I understand it, they don't do well with change.

It does sound like it's time for a change tho'.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I'm glad lots of folks don't do it or everyplace would be crowded. Our plans are somewhat different that what some might guess. First, no mobile home parks, unless its 55+. That will cut down on the riffraff. 2. National parks and forests that are not overloaded with weekend partyers. 3. Snow birding with other seniors for the winter. 4. Stay away from places that attract children and active youths.

We'll just have to see how this works. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We've stayed in some RV parks already in the rented rooms they have and they all seemed peaceful and people were quiet and well mannered.

As he's gotten older, my son is much better with change. What really helps is that we talk about it ahead and so avoid sudden changes. But he's gotten used to change. We've moved quite a few times. And at this point, he wants to move.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not if I leave my Jack Russell on the porch, lol.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not if I leave my Jack Russell on the porch, lol.
Jack might get a bit hungry after a couple of days.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Mobile home park? Do you really think they are more peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement