Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

In 14 years in the Chicago area, I never watched a local news broadcast. They seemed more interested in stirring up controversy that in reporting the local news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Is that because they feel controversy brings in a bigger audience?

I, for one, miss the old (60's even early 70's) style of TV news back when the news was only 1/2 hour long and not repeated for hours on end!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am from Chicago area too and remember Walter Jacobsen and Bill Curtis so so long ago.
Phoenix news is totally boring. Every AM it starts out with where the shooting was in the avenues. The next thing is how high the temperature will be and then 5 commercials. And the weather ladies need to go shopping for new outfits. It's dress week at Ross. I guess they don't know.
LOL...all of that is so true. I watch some of it early in the morning, waking up to get ready for work, and all I see is weather, traffic, murders and mayhem. And you're dead on about the weather girls.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,148 times
Tv stations are having to rebrand local news. It's obvious they want the "one man band" for reporters, and in some cases, have the new meteorologists be MMJ(multimedia journalists) on the side. It seems cheap, and they are saving money. In some cities, it's not working out very well.

Then again, look how many "armchair" reporters you have with social media. Do the stations need as much help and coverage as 30 years ago? Its a fair question

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Is that because they feel controversy brings in a bigger audience?

I, for one, miss the old (60's even early 70's) style of TV news back when the news was only 1/2 hour long and not repeated for hours on end!
I've been trying to read the stories I want to see on the smartphone or web. I just can't totally not watch the news anymore. I am really trying though

Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I will watch local news but have given up on national OTA news. Don't have cable or dish. I can get better info in less time on the net. Local news is a beauty contest. I do want to see local meteorologists and not just another reporter doing the weather. Cut the chit chat as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I've been spoiled with having access to Chicago news my entire life. Sure my neck of the woods (NW Indiana) did not get the same amount of local coverage as Chicagoland viewers, but many stations here would run our big stories. When I traveled to other cities and watched the local TV stations, it always seemed a bit disappointing to me and never did figure out why. Maybe it was that the TV settings in Chicago were a bit "glitzier," maybe the TV personalities were a bit more professional, or maybe it was just that it wasn't home.

After relocating to another part of the country, do you miss your previous home TV stations? Do you watch more of the cable / satellite news stations now? What is it that you miss most about your previous local TV news?
The bigger markets usually have more glitz/polish and are generally more entertaining. I was spoiled by the Los Angeles market (esp. KNBC/KABC) the first 3/4 of my life.

I moved to Denver 8 years ago, and the news here doesn't hold a candle to LA's. The drama here is simply less dramatic. I'd even watch WGN (when they still aired the news to a national audience), just to get my big-city news fix.

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to watch the local news. Helps get a feel for the area/etc.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'd even watch WGN (when they still aired the news to a national audience), just to get my big-city news fix.

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to watch the local news. Helps get a feel for the area/etc.
WGN did stick to the older TV format much longer. Now I can't even stand the morning news on WGN I fondly remember the old WFLD (later became FOX and glitzy) which ran so many old movies. I even went through the TV studio when I worked in the Loop.

I hope to watch the local news when I arrive in Arizona to get a feel for the areas I visit before deciding on my permanent destination, but I'm wondering just how much I'll be able to watch before hitting the off button.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
One of the local TV stations has a sort of close-caption service that turns all their "news" reports into text and posts them on the website. It is an excellent example of why I prefer print over TV - the longest news stories are maybe a couple hundred words and barely contain the who, what, where, why, how. There is so little actual information in them that they might as well be texts on my phone.

I've gone entirely to text-based news on the internet plus my daily paper for local news. At one point, if you wanted "breaking" news (storm, fire, urgent event), live TV was a better choice, but that is no longer the case.

On the other hand, I have to say I have never been a fan of some of the shows like "Goodmorning America" or other chatty stuff, so I am probably not the target market for TV news.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 686 times
I am use to having Channel 9 and watching it religiously.......... However only having analog cable through my VCR, because cable has gotten so dang expensive. NOW they are Taking away channel 9 where I am use to watching shows such as Walker, texas ranger and In the heat of the night and Blue Bloods ........ I am disabled, and I enjoy those 3 programs....... Is it too much to ask for? Guess i wont be watching tv anymore. Gonna raise some money by selling it. There's nothing on it anymore worth watching. I only get stupid programs that nobody in their right mind would sit and watch.

They raised the price of analog and take away the channels. Ya just don't know how upset I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement