U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM

21,923 posts, read 14,414,141 times

Advertisements

Just a thought about not ever taking sick leave. You owe it to your work mates not to come in sick. No one wants your germs. This is especially true about places where a phone is shared. Stay home to recover and do everyone a favor. I know some bosses want people there no matter what, and I feel for anyone under extreme pressure to work sick, but I still think that it is best to keep one's germs at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM

17,417 posts, read 21,263,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Agree with theoldnorthstate about not burning bridges. While it may feel wonderful to make a comment like the ham one, it may come back to bite you but I sincerely hope that it doesn't.
No bridge to burn! I've had it with working in understaffed LTC facilities, and in my retirement years, I'm considering merely taking on a home care case, now and then. I'm just too old to be in charge of 25 patients on the nightshift anymore, and more patients if someone calls off!

The facility I work in adamantly refuses to spend the money to hire temp help when we're short, and there's money in the budget for that, Medicare insists upon it! The Administrator gets a nice bonus at the end of the year for the money he's saved the corporation, which has over 500 facilities scattered around the country. And not a dime of that savings is passed on to the employees!

The facility, in back of ours, owned by a different corporation, wrote out a nice check to all it's employees, one year, for all the unspent money in that account. And we don't even get a ham anymore at Xmas time!

Axes to grind? Burn that bridge? You bet!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No bridge to burn! I've had it with working in understaffed LTC facilities, and in my retirement years, I'm considering merely taking on a home care case, now and then. I'm just too old to be in charge of 25 patients on the nightshift anymore, and more patients if someone calls off!

The facility I work in adamantly refuses to spend the money to hire temp help when we're short, and there's money in the budget for that, Medicare insists upon it! The Administrator gets a nice bonus at the end of the year for the money he's saved the corporation, which has over 500 facilities scattered around the country. And not a dime of that savings is passed on to the employees!

The facility, in back of ours, owned by a different corporation, wrote out a nice check to all it's employees, one year, for all the unspent money in that account. And we don't even get a ham anymore at Xmas time!

Axes to grind? Burn that bridge? You bet!
In my own view, the comment in bold above is probably the number 1 political issue in the USA today. Every single person running for Congress, the Senate or President, plus anyone running for Governor, should have to specifically address that type of issue in their campaign.

Regarding the original poster question, I didn't slack off at all because I had a position that had a lot of folks interdependent upon my actions right up until my last week of work. I telecommuted the last few weeks of work, having moved out to California in retirement. But I was on a conference call, in fact I led the conference call, the last afternoon of my career. It wasn't a neurotic thing with me, I just enjoyed my work and didn't want to leave anyone hanging at the end. I wanted to leave with a good impression, though I never planned to return to work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement