Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,459,172 times

Advertisements

Like they say, nothing like a half ham in the freezer, an onion on the belt and a crisp fifty dollar bill in the punchcard dispenser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:55 AM

554 posts, read 743,362 times
Everyone! Thank you for your "tales of preparation" for retirement. For one, I'm always curious to read how other folks are handling the "ramp-up" (or "ramp-down", depending on your viewpoint) to retiring - especially the work environment.

I've been under-employed in a contract position with a large IT company for over 5 years. Prior to that, I was 'way-under-employed with a state department of health in another state, but that was another 'life' in another place.

Living in California does have some 'benefit'; I make more-per-hour than I would, doing the same job in another state. That allows me to contribute more to a 401(k), and boost my meager retirement fund.
I've been told (by fellow employees) that they couldn't do "the job" without me. I've heard, though, that management thinks everyone in our department is expendable - except for themselves, of course.

So ... I take each day as a brand-new challenge - a challenge to make it through the day (years, actually) until I retire, and to be as productive as possible - which I hope will help to avoid being "put out to pasture" until I'm ready to go.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,291,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm curious, for those, especially, that had to grit their teeth to try and survive a bad work situation, heading for the last days towards the finish line. And the few days before you got there?

You knew that freedom was shortly ahead of you, and did you have some fun, in those last days, say things you never would have said to a supervisor/co-worker 2 years ago, look at them with that Go-ahead-and-fire-me-look, surprise everybody with your more defiant behavior, show up a little later in the morning, or leave earlier in the day or did your behavior remain the same?

I just turned 65 and I'm heading for the finish line and it's been very liberating to me. With too many axes to grind, from working their 13 years (Long-Term Care/Rehab facility) I'm becoming more and defiant.

"We're short of help tonite (they're always short of help!), will you work tonite?"

"Put a $50 bill above the timecard machine, and put a half ham in the refrigerator, and I'll be there!"

Why the half-ham? We all used to get a ham at Xmas time, every year, up until 6 years ago!

Why the $50? For all those nights we were short (saving the company someone's wages for the night) and I had to tend to 33 patients instead of 25.

So! I guess they won't be calling me again!
No I wouldn't and no I didn't. Learned as a young professional never to burn bridges. You never know what the future holds.

Doesn't mean that you don't have reason to feel that way and your line of work is hard.

But good luck to you as you wind down your career. Enjoy your retirement.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
I'm about to leave a job. I'll probably give notice next week. I am FREAKING trying to get everything wrapped up. I have so many people who depend on me. And I've worked so hard developing this position with no guidance from above. My stuff is straight. My customers love me. I don't want to leave them hanging. But my next job will be the one I retire from so... I'll let you know in a few more years.

BEST WISHES to the OP!!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
I did everything expected of me till the end. I was instructed to do a few extra things, but I never had to put in extra hours. At any rate, I knew my time was short and so I simply continued to do what I had done all along.

I didn't work a full day on my last day though!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
It's been an ego trip, let's say, to pride myself in only calling off sick 4-5 times in the 13 years I worked there, and, being retired, what good will that attendance record do me? And meanwhile, my co-workers think nothing of calling off 4-5 times a year, leaving us short!

No appreciation for my reliability/punctuality has ever been given to me, so a couple weeks ago, I called off, trying to pick an excuse for not coming in, but what a great day that was, and not being sick!

I'll definitely do that again some time, old Mr. Reliability!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,640,247 times
I'm still at it, (way over the age) and love working, but will retire soon. Just think I'm ready to enjoy other things now. People that I work with fluff-off so much that it burns me up. But I just keep working and say I'll pull my load and some of theirs too.
I really feel sorry for them. I think it takes more energy to avoid work than to just do your job. No slowing down for me, even after I retire. My make up I guess.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,021,807 times
I have 2 years and one month until I can retire. I still work at my job as hard as ever. But I love my job. Some of the managers and self - centered and not too fun to work with, but my peers are great and the external customers are fine. And the projects I get to work on are incredible and I love working on them

I have, however, cut back on all the little 'extras' such as the employee club that I do not enjoy because of the internal politics and activities. (For example every time someone has a baby we give them a pretty substantial gift--crib and changing table with bedding generally, but sometimes other things if they already have furniture, but always expensive. I adopted older special needs kids and did not even get a card. They said they were not sure what to do since they were not babies and had 'handicaps'. They were embarrassed that the kids I chose (and wanted) had special needs. My friends at work knew exactly what to do--they bought age appropriate toys for the kids--a Barbie or a fire truck, etc. and had asked for the employee club to buy a group toy box or handful of toys which they chose not to do.) So now I just ignore them and do not give them my dues, etc. nor participate in their activities. For my co-workers I give them cards, flowers or gifts myself and I decide what and when I want to. In the end this is also much cheaper for me too as I no longer get the 'you owe us $50 for XXX.' requests as they know to split the bills without me

I also question travel and training if I do not want to do it and it does not benefit what I am doing...and is not required. Before I would have shut up and did what I was told.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,246,311 times
Agree with theoldnorthstate about not burning bridges. While it may feel wonderful to make a comment like the ham one, it may come back to bite you but I sincerely hope that it doesn't.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Agree with theoldnorthstate about not burning bridges. While it may feel wonderful to make a comment like the ham one, it may come back to bite you but I sincerely hope that it doesn't.
I'm returning to an organization where I didn't burn bridges. Good thing!

Another thing, as a Christian, my boss is God. If I do my job so God is happy with me, my supervisors should be ecstatic. I guess that's why I have over 700 sick leave hours built up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement