U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times

Advertisements

I think the media sensationalizes a lot of things it shouldn't, doesn't cover things it should, and think the problem has gotten worse over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times
I just get tired of the so-called reality shows featuring wannabe celebrities who are famous for nothing..."Real" house wives of XXX, those idiots from the Jersey shore, and heaven protect us from the Lardassians....Happy to say I have never watched one show with those publicity wh*res.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,258,145 times
I stopped cable about a year ago and bought an indoor antenna. I was sick of paying for TV that had little to offer except an occasional good program or movie. When I had those extra stations, you could watch the same movie over and over again for a long time.

As I grow older, I have re-discovered the radio. I can listen to some of the talk shows when I'm in the mood for that kind of viewpoint, listen to music, or just shut it off (which I can do with my TV, too).

I am appalled at programs like Jane the Virgin, etc. So many programs are geared around the lifestyle that many people are living presently. Not my kind of entertainment.

The blessing is (and so many people don't "get" this) is there is an "OFF" button on your TV/radio.
I like another poster's idea..... read!! So many good books out there, something for everyone's taste.

And I so totally agree with CarolinaDawg2's comment...... the NEWS is the MOST sensationalized programming on television.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,447,142 times
I agree to stop watching the stuff. I can't believe anyone would watch shows like Jerry Springer or any of the reality shows. Seriously! I cut off cable with all its advertising about 10 years ago. Only recently did I subscribe to Netflicks. Love it: Brit/BBC shows, foreign films, some good series shows, and old shows like Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,823,436 times
I'm more in the "different strokes for different folks" camp here. I don't find much objectionable on TV, even Jerry Springer can be a pretty funny diversion once in awhile.

As far as my own TV viewing, it pretty much is limited to sporting events. I watch a bit of basketball and baseball, and ice hockey too when the Flyers have a good team (not so much lately). I subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package, so I get almost every single game available for viewing every day during the season. So I just set TIVO and usually watch either the Indians or Phillies games that night.

My wife watches quite a few of the popular series on HBO, Netflix and the like. Since we both have our own TVs and spaces, this works out pretty well.

We both watch the late night local news together, and both think it is rather poorly done. Then we catch the first segment of the Tonight Show, and then flip over to the Late Late Show, and watch the first segment (James Corden seems pretty good).

Occasionally we watch stuff like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives or HGTV or science shows (mostly through the Smart TV hub).

But overall, we enjoy TV quite a bit.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM

825 posts, read 566,431 times
I cut off my cable years ago (2009). I do have a Netflix subscription and occasionally watch something associated with Amazon Prime.

Currently watching Wolf Hall on PBS Video and enjoying it very much.

There's no need to pay for or watch broadcast or cable TV, if you don't want to.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
You don't find shows like Springer to be sensational with topics like my mom slept with my boyfriend, my 13 yr-old-daughter is dating a 24-yr-old? It seems the worse the "horror" story the more the audience enjoys it.

The local TV news bring up anything at all to talk about, most of it just garbage time fillers. For example: "Photos of Chicago Police Officers Playing Sports With Kids Go Viral" How is that really newsworthy?
Oh that type of crap. I've never seen Springer and such, never waste my time with daytime TV. Why tune in?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,193,542 times
I really can't stand those reality shows with all their faked drama, and screaming at each other. Give me a good British mystery any time.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:37 PM

21,543 posts, read 44,077,984 times
CNBC and C-Span are must haves for me - in real time - and some cable news. Make a point of watching The Cycle on MSNBC at 2 p.m. central time. Very smart, young (30s), good looking hosts. Really like that show. Pleasure to see young people w/brains. So, I pay for cable. When I'm not watching the above, TV is on for background, usually tuned to LMN (movies) or WE (L&O reruns). Watch a lot on PBS - selectively. And, get other Brit shows on Acorn - although their choices are limited - as well as Netflix, of course.

Rarely watch network stuff, as a rule. When Regis left LIVE - that ended my viewing of talk shows, although once a blue moon I might tune in to one - usually too silly to stay with.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,193,542 times
I really can't stand those reality shows with all their faked drama, and screaming at each other. Give me a good British mystery any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement