U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

139 posts, read 302,270 times

Advertisements

I have always joked with my fellow retirees that if you start watching jerry springer, it is time to get a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,603,053 times
I can scarcely deal with TV anymore. Too much is psychologically and physically unhealthy for people, I think. I do confess to being fond of "Downton Abbey" and a couple other well made serials. It's nice to have that one evening to look forward to.

On summer evening at dusk I was driving sixty miles through farm country back home from visiting my parents and I noticed something that made me feel really sad. There wasn't a single person or family pet in the farmyards. No kids paying hide and seek, no parents sitting on the porch. No dawgs barking as I drove past. Silence.

But in nearly every home I could see the blue light of the idiot box shining through the windows.

It's not a matter of wrong kind of viewing as much as it is too much viewing. When it takes precedence over all the other things you could be doing you loose a healthy balance in your life.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,066,874 times
Its like anything else you have to separate the noise from the news. This is huge country and most do not pay much attention as it doesn't effect them directly on sensational headlines.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,682,576 times
We have basic cable for the news and only because it would cost us more to have internet only. We also have Netfix and Amazon Prime which is set to the kid's programming when the grandkids are here. Neither of us follow sports so our cable needs are minimal to nonexistent.

I've told this before about my grandkids. They have watched NetFlix only or DVD's from the library and no network TV ever. The six year old is realizing that McDonlad's is the place she knows as the chicken shop and only because she can read now. These kids have not been bombarded and brainwashed with commercials and so they don't know that they should want everything and are oblivious to brand names. I'm loving the innocence while it lasts.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-22-2015 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM

12,325 posts, read 12,555,838 times
Instead of wasting time on TV, I waste time on City-Data. It gets pretty sensational and irrelevant here too. "Last Times?" Really?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM

1,324 posts, read 841,340 times
So basically it sounds like we (the baby boomers) have "turned on, tuned in, dropped out"? Not many of us can't stand the TV news but I guess our tastes are the ones that count any more. Am I right?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 PM

23,699 posts, read 17,668,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I can scarcely deal with TV anymore. Too much is psychologically and physically unhealthy for people, I think. I do confess to being fond of "Downton Abbey" and a couple other well made serials. It's nice to have that one evening to look forward to.

On summer evening at dusk I was driving sixty miles through farm country back home from visiting my parents and I noticed something that made me feel really sad. There wasn't a single person or family pet in the farmyards. No kids paying hide and seek, no parents sitting on the porch. No dawgs barking as I drove past. Silence.

But in nearly every home I could see the blue light of the idiot box shining through the windows.

It's not a matter of wrong kind of viewing as much as it is too much viewing. When it takes precedence over all the other things you could be doing you loose a healthy balance in your life.
Agreed people need to get outside and live life but there is certainly a major difference in content watched. I would much rather watch sports, news, or something real and mentally stimulating vs. a fictitious series.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,044,463 times
We are 80 and 81. She watches things like General Hospital and I sometimes watch news.
We watch 30s, 40s and 50s movies on TCM and GetTV which are both on cable. She watches a couple of cop shows, I will watch one or maybe two in a months time. I totally ignore all "celebrities", both entertainers and sports figures. Their endorsement of a product or a politician is meaningless.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM

8,860 posts, read 7,744,265 times
I don't watch news anymore. Problem solved.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:34 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,713,463 times
Meh, it's just TV.

If anyone takes it all that seriously believing it's a sign of the downfall of Society they need to get out more. Or hit the "off" button on their remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement