U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 AM

1,322 posts, read 837,779 times

Advertisements

As a baby boomer, I am appalled at the the number of sensationalism shows on television these days. I have never considered myself as "straight-laced" and many times my dad referred to my friends as long-haired hippie freaks A few years ago when my dad was still alive and in his 70's, I was surprised to find him watching Jerry Springer. When I asked why he was watching it, he said there really wasn't much else on (this was though he had cable TV and plenty of other channels to watch!).

Am I alone in feeling that shows like Springer are nothing but sensationalism? I find as I get older that I'm watching less and less TV and reading more and more books (though I've always enjoyed reading and books are always better than movies!).

After reading other people's comment about missing the local TV stations when they relocate, I think I'm not alone with being bothered by all the sensationalism. I'd like to hear what others think, so please speak up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
What sensationalism are you referring to?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 AM

2,002 posts, read 2,644,275 times
Got rid of cable, no OTA available, just watch Netflix -- problem solved!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

6,423 posts, read 3,362,821 times
Too busy in retirement having fun to watch much TV.
Agree -- most TV is junk. We record the few good series we like, watch at our leisure, and fast forward out the commercials.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,573,407 times
Traditional daytime TV doesn't have much nutritional value: Jerry Springer-type shows, judge shows and gaggle of folks talking about nothing shows. Almost makes one long for the soap operas of yore -- aren't there only a few soaps left?

We have a Tivo and have our favorite shows set to record. We watch them when it's convenient for us. About the only time I see commercials anymore is during live football games.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,781 times
I am discusted with the "Reality" shows that are on. Naked people running around, people getting married at first sight. People doing illegal activities such as brewing moonshine, Drag racing Etc.

I am a religious person and to me, these are clear signs of the Last Days.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,818,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am discusted with the "Reality" shows that are on. Naked people running around, people getting married at first sight. People doing illegal activities such as brewing moonshine, Drag racing Etc.

I am a religious person and to me, these are clear signs of the Last Days.
You just mentioned all my favorite shows! LOL

As far as the original topic goes, the news is the most sensationalized programming on tv.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What sensationalism are you referring to?
You don't find shows like Springer to be sensational with topics like my mom slept with my boyfriend, my 13 yr-old-daughter is dating a 24-yr-old? It seems the worse the "horror" story the more the audience enjoys it.

The local TV news bring up anything at all to talk about, most of it just garbage time fillers. For example: "Photos of Chicago Police Officers Playing Sports With Kids Go Viral" How is that really newsworthy?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,063,747 times
Springer? He's still around?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 AM

1,926 posts, read 992,839 times
My eighty something neighbor watches Snapped. She loves it. We also watched the naked camping show when I had cable. I would call and tell her when it came on. After awhile, you forgot they were naked, but it was nice to see real naked people, not model types, with all their real life flaws and itches Made me feel good about myself. It was not lewd or sexual in any way.

I don't like crime shows as entertainment. I think it numbs us to the consequences of mayhem. I only have PBS on an antenna now and I like it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement