U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Thanks again to everybody! We have narrowed it down to Roanoke, Virginia area and The Woodlands in Texas! For those who want pictures, here are some random shots of my neighborhood.
Roanoke is not known for being exotic (ref to your posted pics). Wondering why you chose it?

My Jack Russell is a rescue from Woodlands, Texas, a lot of abandoned dogs there I hear. This of course relates to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Then why go thru the process of moving your family if highly successful. Moving back for five years seem extreme if you have the money already to assure their future. I'd think retiring at 34 the SS can't be that much or important for such a extreme move.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,204,023 times
I just can't imagine the OP's wife being happy in Roanoke.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM

786 posts, read 895,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Roanoke is not known for being exotic (ref to your posted pics). Wondering why you chose it?

Based on the school districts in Salem and Cave Spring, Close to UVA, Wife has relatives in Virginia, Good flights out of DC, not to far from my old stomping grounds in Manhattan.

My Jack Russell is a rescue from Woodlands, Texas, a lot of abandoned dogs there I hear. This of course relates to nothing.
Lot's of stray dogs and cat's in Peru, they have an annual Cat BBQ a few hours south of me, Afro-Peruvians say it is an aphrodisiac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This relates to the social security question, My account shows a max survivor benefit for my spouse of $2552.00/mth in today's Dollars. Not a lot but if she lives until her 90's it adds up and it is Cola'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I just can't imagine the OP's wife being happy in Roanoke.
I can't either, but as she has lived in the Big City (8 million people) all her life watching "Leave it to Beaver", she wants to experience living in the suburbs!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
She might surprise you. Neighbor was born and raised I NYC and never left before serving in marine corps. he moved here afterwards for work and loves it. He just can't quite get the accent tho to pass as a real cowboy but he can handle a horse. now.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,874,457 times
Quote:
Lot's of stray dogs and cat's in Peru, they have an annual Cat BBQ a few hours south of me, Afro-Peruvians say it is an aphrodisiac.

This relates to the social security question, My account shows a max survivor benefit for my spouse of $2552.00/mth in today's Dollars. Not a lot but if she lives until her 90's it adds up and it is Cola'd!

I can't either, but as she has lived in the Big City (8 million people) all her life watching "Leave it to Beaver", she wants to experience living in the suburbs!
I really can't see a break-even point in this move for you financially. It'll be around 30 years before she could collect on it and who knows what the social security rules/regulations would be by then.

I looked up equivalent costs of living for Peru vs US a couple of days ago and its something like 40% less there. You (and she) would likely be better off if you just invested $10k (of the $70k) over the next 10 years and just stayed there. Consider taking a couple of long vacations, see how your family likes day-to-day life in the US. I'd bet that even you will notice significant changes since you last lived here.

And BTW, although $70k (per year) might seem like a large income, it isn't really. You'd be amazed how quickly that will go and just how far it actually does go here. Particularly with kids.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 PM

242 posts, read 264,574 times
Duuuude! Big mistake moving back Statside! You're a King in Peru amigo! Why mess up that lifestyle to return to a country filled with video cameras on every corner, obese women who act like men, horrible processed foods and a money-is-all mentality. You have been warned so don't come crying back to us when your life unravels in the UU.EE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 PM

786 posts, read 895,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I really can't see a break-even point in this move for you financially. It'll be around 30 years before she could collect on it and who knows what the social security rules/regulations would be by then.

I looked up equivalent costs of living for Peru vs US a couple of days ago and its something like 40% less there. You (and she) would likely be better off if you just invested $10k (of the $70k) over the next 10 years and just stayed there. Consider taking a couple of long vacations, see how your family likes day-to-day life in the US. I'd bet that even you will notice significant changes since you last lived here.

And BTW, although $70k (per year) might seem like a large income, it isn't really. You'd be amazed how quickly that will go and just how far it actually does go here. Particularly with kids.
I thank you for your advice. COL where I live is at par with Houston or Atlanta from a housing standpoint, Taxes and Utilities are far lower and no car is necessary and taxis are just $2.00 around town. Big savings will be private schools ($24k here) and in state University tuition's. I am retired but my Wife should make 3x-5x what she earn's here and if she decides to come back she will double her salary by having a few years work experience in the USA. Both my sons will get better educations and have the choice to live and work in the USA or return here or better yet Ex-pat with a big company (with US salary and perks). Also, hopefully my Daughter in Denver will get married and have children and we all can be closer to them. As a millennial finishing up her PHD, she is unable to travel down to see her brothers very often and as my son is in school.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound like she's old enough to remember Leave it to Beaver ().

The climate in Texas vs. Virginia is quite different. The politics perhaps.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Duuuude! Big mistake moving back Statside! You're a King in Peru amigo! Why mess up that lifestyle to return to a country filled with video cameras on every corner, obese women who act like men, horrible processed foods and a money-is-all mentality. You have been warned so don't come crying back to us when your life unravels in the UU.EE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howdy, Duuuudee! Why are you still here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or