U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM

2,013 posts, read 2,652,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
If you had to live in the USA for 5 years, where would it be?
I am 62, wife 32, Son 10 and a 3 week old baby. In order for my wife to collect my SS survivor benefits we are forced to move from Peru to the USA for 5 years. We are looking for a suburb of a major city with modern apartment complexes, lots of young families, great schools,lot's of healthcare jobs, good weather, nice parks,little crime,less churchgoers,etc. Where would you choose?
What about the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area? There are lots of nice areas, some very good schools if you are careful in your real estate choices, and as a bonus, there are lots of people from Peru and other Central and South American countries. I sold one of my homes there to a family from Peru; the people next door were from Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM

787 posts, read 897,479 times
Thanks, for all the suggestions. I will weed through them as time permits. We love Boston, but have discounted the entire NE (for extreme Winters) I spent 50 years in and around Manhattan and while still a great place to visit, I could never live there again. Washington is interesting (Tax wise,University wise) and my Oldest Daughter is moving to Corvallis, Oregon to finish her Doctorate in Psychology. California weather is the "bomb" much like Lima, but am concerned about water issues (much like Lima). Houston has been talked about as a lot of Peruvian Doctors my wife works with are going there ( we would consider The Woodlands) but the weather and water issues arise again. Florida is a possibility but we are not interested in living in an area with a lot of Latino's as my Wife would like to experience something different for her time as an Expat. I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,208,441 times
Honolulu? My brother was stationed there for 3 years but that was before his kids reached school age. After several other locations abroad and in the US, he settled and retired in Colorado Springs where his kids went to school. The area gets snow but not as cold as the Midwest or the NE, and the snow melts within a day or so. It tends to be conservative but people aren't in your face about religion. COL is reasonable.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-23-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Thanks, for all the suggestions. I will weed through them as time permits. We love Boston, but have discounted the entire NE (for extreme Winters) I spent 50 years in and around Manhattan and while still a great place to visit, I could never live there again. Washington is interesting (Tax wise,University wise) and my Oldest Daughter is moving to Corvallis, Oregon to finish her Doctorate in Psychology. California weather is the "bomb" much like Lima, but am concerned about water issues (much like Lima). Houston has been talked about as a lot of Peruvian Doctors my wife works with are going there ( we would consider The Woodlands) but the weather and water issues arise again. Florida is a possibility but we are not interested in living in an area with a lot of Latino's as my Wife would like to experience something different for her time as an Expat. I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming.
Better to state your criteria up front, as much detail as you can, so we don't waste time giving suggestions for places you'd never consider.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Quote:
Latinos? We are everywhere! Well except for Vermont and Maine. We kind of stood out when we were up there on vacation last year.

Try Oregon. My nephew did a stint with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and loved it. My sisters went there and they said they would move there without a second thought. It was in Ashland.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM

3,634 posts, read 1,570,787 times
Quote:
If you had to live in the USA for 5 years, where would it be?
I am 62, wife 32, Son 10 and a 3 week old baby. In order for my wife to collect my SS survivor benefits we are forced to move from Peru to the USA for 5 years. We are looking for a suburb of a major city with modern apartment complexes, lots of young families, great schools,lot's of healthcare jobs, good weather, nice parks,little crime,less churchgoers,etc. Where would you choose?
Look at Houston and suburbs. Houston is a major metro city and the healthcare sector should probably be the largest sector after energy in terms of jobs . tons of apartments, good schools, tropical weather, less crime. You can save some $$ as well compared to other metros such as NY, LA etc.

Its almost raining daily now, so no weather worries

Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM

13,349 posts, read 25,612,945 times
I gather that Honolulu schools are quite sub-par. Maybe to balance out the perfect weather?
I also concur that the suggestion of Boston is strange, as no one would ever say that Boston has "good weather." It also is low on modern apartment complexes.
The summers are close to tropical, at least, to me, who would prefer a high-altitude dry mountain summer any day. It seems every year gets more hazy/grey/humid, and not even that hot, just sticky.
But OP already said New England isn't on their radar.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,445,588 times
I think the Woodlands would be perfect. Also Dallas. But, we have a very large Hispanic population.

What about San Diego? Probably you should advise what you budget is....

Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,497,814 times
Lima, Ohio

Old 04-23-2015, 02:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think the Woodlands would be perfect. Also Dallas. But, we have a very large Hispanic population.

What about San Diego? Probably you should advise what you budget is....
I wondered about that. He did say that his wife is drawn there because the Peruvian doctors she works with, are moving there

Maybe it is the type, class of Latinos? Want more of a higher educated enclave of Latinos?

Move to far north San Antonio.

But if I had the opportunity, Texas would be at the bottom of the list. And I live here! Lol.

Maybe move from place to place in the US with the seasons. New England summers, California winters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or