U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times

Advertisements

I think all you have to do is have the money and do a search of great places to live with just those things. But most likely you will live nearby not within; if you are renting apartment .Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Exactly! The OP shouldn't burden himself and his family by subjecting all of them to the horror and indignity of having to abide for five years in a place he obviously loathes. In fact, the entire premise shows a total lack of caring and character.

"Let's go put up with a place I've taught you to hate like I do so you can collect from its government and taxpayers when I predecease you as I almost certainly will."

That's special!
I mighlt think twice. The young wife will probably be chased incessantly back here by successful 30 and 40 somethings and dump him as he will almost 70 by the end of the five years. If he needs ss that badly, she'll be looking around!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:00 PM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I mighlt think twice. The young wife will probably be chased incessantly back here by successful 30 and 40 somethings and dump him as he will almost 70 by the end of the five years. If he needs ss that badly, she'll be looking around!
I don't think he needs it, but what if he trades her in? I think they will be okay.

I guess he was in his late 40s when they met? You just don't one day see them as an old geezer.

My other half is 16 years older. He will be 70 in a couple of years, I don't see him as some old decrepit dude. We got older together. Of course I'm no spring chicken.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, for his sake I hope not. I simply took offense at the "had to" in the subject line.

I happen to like it here., I fought for it. I lived in three other countries over the years. I always returned here. I've lived in nine states. That someone seems to approach returning here for a few years as a burden or chore for future financial gain I do find objectionable but in the end, to each their own.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:50 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,540,598 times
OP Houston might work or somewhere in the area. Especially since your wife has contacts who know the area.

If I were to just plop down somewhere in the continental US without any ties to a particular place, I would look twice at TX. Big state and lots of differences, but Houston has a lot going for it.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't think he needs it, but what if he trades her in? I think they will be okay.

I guess he was in his late 40s when they met? You just don't one day see them as an old geezer.

My other half is 16 years older. He will be 70 in a couple of years, I don't see him as some old decrepit dude. We got older together. Of course I'm no spring chicken.
Well, I deleted my post and now I'm posting again. So he was basically 50 when he married the 18-19 year old from a foreign country. Sure, lots in common, but who am I to judge.

He's coming back to collect social security to take advantage of the country he won't live in after the five years.

Well, in five years when he's close to 70 and she's still a babe, she'll have to fight off quite a few attempts from younger, richer, guys in the US. He might wanna think twice about taking advantge of the system.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,640,314 times
Quote:
Well, I deleted my post and now I'm posting again. So he was basically 50 when he married the 18-19 year old from a foreign country. Sure, lots in common, but who am I to judge.

He's coming back to collect social security to take advantage of the country he won't live in after the five years.

Well, in five years when he's close to 70 and she's still a babe, she'll have to fight off quite a few attempts from younger, richer, guys in the US. He might wanna think twice about taking advantge of the system.
Indeed.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:

This is not only so off topic, it's totally inappropriate and arrogant. What business is it of yours regarding his private life, and why do you even feel you need to express your opinion? None of us knows any others of us in real life. Maybe we can stick to the question.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is not only so off topic, it's totally inappropriate and arrogant. What business is it of yours regarding his private life, and why do you even feel you need to express your opinion? None of us knows any others of us in real life. Maybe we can stick to the question.
Not true. As for the rest, the OP invites it.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not true. As for the rest, the OP invites it.
Now Curmudgeon, you know what I mean. And how does the OP invite it?

I find it amusing that this OP and another one (a well-known poster who is a current target of scorn) are getting so much attention regarding their personal lives. Writing these targeted personal jabs have GOT to be a waste of time for those writing them in retirement, we haven't got forever to live. The jabs fall on deaf ears, anyway. One of the genius features of CD is the ignore button!

PS: regarding none of us knows each other in real life....how do you know I'm not a female serial killer, or a male CIA agent, or locked up in an asylum using my friends computer, and I'm not really retired and I'm related to the Rockafellas and....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or