U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County Calif
105 posts, read 171,043 times
Reputation: 214

Advertisements

I like Austin and San Antonio Texas for tax advantages and climate. Nevada for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,051,174 times
Reputation: 15650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sownman View Post
I like Austin and San Antonio Texas for tax advantages and climate. Nevada for the same reason.
Ditto Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
 
6,416 posts, read 5,134,289 times
Reputation: 13085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Surprisingly enough, for his sake I hope not. I simply took offense at the "had to" in the subject line.

I happen to like it here., I fought for it. I lived in three other countries over the years. I always returned here. I've lived in nine states. That someone seems to approach returning here for a few years as a burden or chore for future financial gain I do find objectionable but in the end, to each their own.
Same here curmudgeon. I'm retired military, my other half is a Vietnam vet - 2 purple hearts.

I looked into moving to Italy. I've been to Central America and the places people rave about the cheap living.

But no, I would never move. Even though I say I hate Texas, its mostly the humidity and the heat. I have too many obligations right now to move, but I would love to just wander from place to place in the US.

Follow the cool dry weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM
 
931 posts, read 617,125 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Maybe living in the US is not worth collecting the survivor benefits, given how wonderful life is in Peru and how terrible it would be for you to live in the United States. Given the nature of your inquiry and the history of your posts, I'm not sure what kind of responses you expect to receive.

But...try Santa Barbara, California, if you have the money and can bring your own 5-year water supply.
No.......I used to live there and it is insanely expensive. I would say Florida, several small towns with low crime and is mostly inhabited by retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,591,584 times
Reputation: 29084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Same here curmudgeon. I'm retired military, my other half is a Vietnam vet - 2 purple hearts.

I looked into moving to Italy. I've been to Central America and the places people rave about the cheap living.

But no, I would never move. Even though I say I hate Texas, its mostly the humidity and the heat. I have too many obligations right now to move, but I would love to just wander from place to place in the US.

Follow the cool dry weather.
I salute and thank both of you. I was stationed in Texas twice - once at Fort Bliss (was there ever a more inaptly named place?) and later at Fort Hood - and disliked it both times so I understand how you feel.

I think that most of us who have been in the military, especially overseas and in combat, develop a special appreciation for the country we served and for which we put our lives on the line.

Sadly, there will always be takers with little regard for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,591,584 times
Reputation: 29084
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
PS: regarding none of us knows each other in real life....how do you know I'm not a female serial killer, or a male CIA agent, or locked up in an asylum using my friends computer, and I'm not really retired and I'm related to the Rockafellas and....
Actually, NEG, a number of C-D posters live in this general area, we've met over a half dozen of them and have become friends with several. We've been in one an others' homes, shared meals, boated together, etc. No serial killers yet. Dang! That would make for retirement excitement! Time to cast a wider net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,769 posts, read 40,197,017 times
Reputation: 24021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
..
I think that most of us who have been in the military, especially overseas and in combat, develop a special appreciation for the country we served and for which we put our lives on the line.

Sadly, there will always be takers with little regard for it.
same true for all tax paying citizens of most countries. There is no animosity on the part of most expats, they exercise free choice, and imagine if we all accepted the freedom of choice of others. some have very legit reasons, often financial (cost of living) or medical needs that are not available in USA. Many just happen to enjoy being gone (from anywhere), and some just need the adventure.

Just imagine if OP paid into SS and US IRS for 40+ yrs. They got $30k+ from me last yr and I was only in the USA a couple months. OP might be in the same boat.

Of course I continued to pay my $15k annual USA based property tax as well 50%+ to state schools (which we never used since we homeschooled) and $26k in USA Medical insurance (of which we used ZERO benefit, as usual)).

Not all can afford to live in the USA with that kind of non-discretionary financial hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,769 posts, read 40,197,017 times
Reputation: 24021
I can't believe some of the recommendations from this forum...

CA.
TX,
MA,
HI,
FL

Guess we have become 'senior senile' and lost our common sense to comment on possibilities to meet the stated objectives of OP.

Wow, no wonder OP has chosen to live outside of USA, good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,591,584 times
Reputation: 29084
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
same true for all tax paying citizens of most countries. There is no animosity on the part of most expats, they exercise free choice, and imagine if we all accepted the freedom of choice of others. some have very legit reasons, often financial (cost of living) or medical needs that are not available in USA. Many just happen to enjoy being gone (from anywhere), and some just need the adventure.

Just imagine if OP paid into SS and US IRS for 40+ yrs. They got $30k+ from me last yr and I was only in the USA a couple months. OP might be in the same boat.

Of course I continued to pay my $15k annual USA based property tax as well 50%+ to state schools (which we never used since we homeschooled) and $26k in USA Medical insurance (of which we used ZERO benefit, as usual)).

Not all can afford to live in the USA with that kind of non-discretionary financial hit.
No argument, Stealth, but you missed my original point about presenting as if being "forced" to spend time here was not a pleasant thing to contemplate.

As for your following post, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 PM
 
2,699 posts, read 4,436,556 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
If you had to live in the USA for 5 years, where would it be?
I am 62, wife 32, Son 10 and a 3 week old baby. In order for my wife to collect my SS survivor benefits we are forced to move from Peru to the USA for 5 years. We are looking for a suburb of a major city with modern apartment complexes, lots of young families, great schools,lot's of healthcare jobs, good weather, nice parks,little crime,less churchgoers,etc. Where would you choose?
Maybe Sacramento? Texas and Florida won't have good public schools, and aside from the Miami/ Ft Lauderdale and Austin areas will be religious. I'd also look at Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top