U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times

Advertisements

^^^
Yes, I agree. The hard part is deciding what to keep. That, in itself, would be exhausting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
I definitely would. I have had many yard sales.

Too much work.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
If I had an old farmhouse with several generations of possessions, farm equipment or other specialty goods, I would either have a farm auction or an estate sale. However, I have perhaps ten items that are extraordinary that would generate interest from third parties. The rest of the stuff is pretty ordinary. If I were to liquidate, I would send the top items to a consignment shop in the area and the rest to the local charity thrift store after giving family members first dibs.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 PM

174 posts, read 187,866 times
I would consider having an estate sale, but don't know if the cost is justified. I did talk with one estate sale person. The rate by her company is $350 for each "sale" day, so a two day event would cost $700, then a commission of 30% is taken. The company does all the pricing of items, runs the sale and then donates or disposes of leftover items. So basically, the owner doesn't have to do anything. I tried doing research, but it seems that most estate sales companies deal more in antiques and art, of which we don't have. One company that was popular in my area for several years had a bad review. They didn't "pay up" after the sale. I cannot handle doing a sale of my own. Been there, done that. Just not worth it and am older now so it's more difficult. I would be interested if anyone knows of, or has used a reputable estate sales company in CT or a NY company that serves CT. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 AM

1,045 posts, read 959,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Would you? Did you? I mean where you hire a lady who comes in and prices Everything. Then you leave the house for a weekend and the lady and her helpers sell everything. I did it for my Mom's house and people tramping all over was a sight to behold. But it saved me having to sell stuff individually.

Am wondering if this is as popular in different areas as it is here. I am just a couple miles from a huge retirement community and they have them every single weekend. I am sure there is an advantage to selling everything and then buying new stuff in the new place. What do you think??
Estate sales are not the 'rage' here yet. I do see them occasionally. When my son went off to college I had a home AND a 10'x20' storage full of 'stuff' that I have been slowly selling via Craigslist the past 4 yrs. It is EZ to sell that way and I got everything out of the storage and put it into my 1 BR apt, which then resembled the TV show Hoarders for about 9 months. It got me up and out of bed every day to work on getting rid of the stuff, made me a nice little side income for a bit, and I got rid of ALL of it. I know me, and I lose interest in things in a short amount of time. If I hadn't done it like that I would have died and my son would have been stuck doing it or the storage company would have sold it all off to the Storage Wars people.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,224,402 times
It's years away yet, but I think I'll try to just do it myself.

If i'm retired and prepping for my move, then what have I got to do besides the sale?
I'll just take my time and do it. I'll just hold an "everything must go" sale every weekend for, oh I don't know, maybe a month...sell what goes. And donate what doesn't.

I'm fairly cheap when it comes to some things....I just cant see giving up part of the proceeds....30%? I know the sale organizers might get more money for the things....but suppose they don't. I want as much of the proceeds for ME, not to pay someone for the sale.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,377,315 times
If you are moving miles away, and you are also downsizing, then I'd say have an estate sale. You will give up a portion of the proceeds, but sometimes you don't have the energy to do the sale yourself.

I think in many cases, sales are held by the children of an elderly, or deceased parent. The kids don't live around there, or they are really busy, so they outsource it to an estate sale company.

I think these have their place. I did not do this when I moved. We donated and took our donations off our taxes.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
The stuff that we accumulate over the years can be ridiculous......I'm making a move soon and used the opportunity to toss a lot of stuff as well as donate stuff to Goodwill......it feels so much better getting rid of things that I hadn't worn or used for a long time - still giving furniture to Goodwill as I clear out belongings......would be nice to get some money for stuff, but I'm not into selling stuff.....

It is a nice feeling that 1) someone is getting stuff for their homes at decent price, and 2) the stuff is being recycled in use.....

There are a lot of estate sales where I live and I did go to a few when looking for a couple of things for the new house. It is very eerie walking through the personal items people have accumulated over the years. I assumed that the folks were dead or placed in a nursing home. Didn't imagine it was estate sales for people moving away at the beach or traveling in an RV while strangers rummaged through their stuff.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
I am so nosy. When I go to a really good estate sale and see how some people have lived, I want to know about them and what happened to them. Usually the ladies will tell you if they can.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am so nosy. When I go to a really good estate sale and see how some people have lived, I want to know about them and what happened to them. Usually the ladies will tell you if they can.
You usually can tell a lot about a person by looking at his/her stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or