U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 PM

6,130 posts, read 9,091,165 times

Advertisements

Most of the companies here post pictures ahead of time and you can see what's for sale. That, in itself, plus pricing and arranging everything to sell, is quite a job and worth the $ they take, IMHO. All the heavy stuff stays where it is in the house and you aren't moving anything yourself. The buyers do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,227,010 times
Quote:
Most of the companies here post pictures ahead of time and you can see what's for sale. That, in itself, plus pricing and arranging everything to sell, is quite a job and worth the $ they take, IMHO. All the heavy stuff stays where it is in the house and you aren't moving anything yourself. The buyers do that.
I was going to ask about that. Someone I know sold her mom's stuff, and moved everything down to first floor (LR and DR), even the bedroom stuff, I take it, because even though the house was empty she still didn't want people walking all through it. Of course, she had some things out front to attract the crowd

Also I"D rather have the items moved down stairs for the sale also...than have buyers move larger pieces. I just would rather have MY movers do it than their's. That's just how a feel about it.

Someone said that an estate sale is not about the money.....but I can't imagine that sellers still wouldn't like to get as much as they could. So given that....

...do buyers haggle as much and try to get the price down as much at an estate sale as they do at a yard sale? I saw a show on HGTV that was about estate sales, and those prices were crazy high. I'd only use an estate seller if I end up with more money than if I'd NOT used their services, or pretty close to it. But I wouldn't hire them to end up with almost nothing myself.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 AM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
Most of the estate sales in our area the prices are ridiculously low to begin with and if the items don't sell on the first or second day then they reduce the prices on what's left over. In my experiences most of the really decent stuff goes the first day and at the end of the second day they start reducing and on the 3rd or last day they reduce everything by at least 50%.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,025,414 times
I realize this is an old thread (where is the time going these days?) but this was the closest I could find to post in after searching the forum "estate sale".

We are going to have an estate sale in October and I'm starting to have SERIOUS second guesses about that decision.

I am going to have to be out of said house for two weeks with nowhere to go; my cat has nowhere to go. Cat "boarding" is $20/day, and "extended stay" hotels (yes, some of them are "pet friendly", but still) are like $50/day.

The caveat with this is...I am buying said house. It is/was our father's house, and we inherited it three ways, and I have qualified for a mortgage and will be buying their shares.

Is it too late to cancel this estate sale? With "boarding" my cat, and then being on the street for two weeks, minus maybe a day here or there where I check in to a hotel, the price tag for me just to get through the two weeks might not even be worth it.

Is it too late to cancel estate sale? I know I would p--- a lot of people off, but sorry, I am buying the d--- house, and If I am going to just "break even" having an estate sale, why bother?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I realize this is an old thread (where is the time going these days?) but this was the closest I could find to post in after searching the forum "estate sale".

We are going to have an estate sale in October and I'm starting to have SERIOUS second guesses about that decision.

I am going to have to be out of said house for two weeks with nowhere to go; my cat has nowhere to go. Cat "boarding" is $20/day, and "extended stay" hotels (yes, some of them are "pet friendly", but still) are like $50/day.

The caveat with this is...I am buying said house. It is/was our father's house, and we inherited it three ways, and I have qualified for a mortgage and will be buying their shares.

Is it too late to cancel this estate sale? With "boarding" my cat, and then being on the street for two weeks, minus maybe a day here or there where I check in to a hotel, the price tag for me just to get through the two weeks might not even be worth it.

Is it too late to cancel estate sale? I know I would p--- a lot of people off, but sorry, I am buying the d--- house, and If I am going to just "break even" having an estate sale, why bother?
You're still a month out - you've got a chance at breaking it off without (or with minimal) penalty.

I'd contact the estate sale company immediately and find out what their cut-off date is for cancellation.

Then I'd talk to your siblings, if they were expecting $20K from the sale of things, they're going to want their share. If all they were expecting was clean out of trash and enough money to buy a nice dinner - tell them how much this is going to inconvenience you and that you'll be happy to take care of the cleaning out on your own time/dime - after you've moved into the house.

best of luck with it all!!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM

7,695 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I, too, was nosy until I got a story that broke my heart and to this day still bothers me. At this sale I bought four large items as oppossed to "niky-naky" type items, and am so glad I was able to "pay homage" to the owners, particularly the woman. I no longer need or want to know the story about the "why" to any estate sale.

(If anyone wants to know the story, DM me and I will tell you. I feel it is too heartbreaking to post it here for all to read).

If the entire family including small children died, I've been to that one.

I'm sorry I clicked on this thread, because it reminds me I have to figure out how we're going to remodel a house that is lived in and overfull of stuff. Pretty sure DH won't agree to sell anything.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,632 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If the entire family including small children died, I've been to that one.

I'm sorry I clicked on this thread, because it reminds me I have to figure out how we're going to remodel a house that is lived in and overfull of stuff. Pretty sure DH won't agree to sell anything.
then you will have a WONDERFUL 'estate auction! '

he's gone... estate auction, next day place is empty, then.. you're gone (till the money runs out!)

(2) neighbor gals already have it figured out... DH GONE, sale... Neighbor gals will be gone to Europe till the cash runs dry. Husbands are 'Collectors' of REALLY heavy and vast equipment. The cash from estate sale will last for a LONG time!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 AM

9,208 posts, read 9,283,907 times
When it comes to furniture unless you truly are dealing with antiques, i question whether an estate sale is worthwhile. Instead, I suggest asking family what they want and giving the rest to something like the salvation army.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 AM

2,626 posts, read 2,582,612 times
When my mother died we had an estate auction, including her car and house. Whether you have a sale or auction depends on what works best in your geographic area (and the reputation of the person/company doing the selling). She lived in rural TN and people literally came from miles around. Everything sold and much of it, including the house, for more than I anticipated.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM

6,130 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Kavalier: Why do you have to be out of the house for two weeks? That is unreasonable. The sales people tag everything and it takes a couple days. Usually the occupants stay in the house and just leave for the day during the sale. Why did you choose this particular co. to do the sale? Did they spell out the terms beforehand? I definitely would cancel it. And find another person to do the sale. But as someone else said, unless the house is full of valuable antiques, it's probably not worth it.

You also can post individual items on Craigs list or Next Door, and just have a couple people coming to view. I definitely would not leave with the cat for 2 weeks. Totally unreasonable !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or