U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:20 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,091,165 times

Advertisements

Would you? Did you? I mean where you hire a lady who comes in and prices Everything. Then you leave the house for a weekend and the lady and her helpers sell everything. I did it for my Mom's house and people tramping all over was a sight to behold. But it saved me having to sell stuff individually.

Am wondering if this is as popular in different areas as it is here. I am just a couple miles from a huge retirement community and they have them every single weekend. I am sure there is an advantage to selling everything and then buying new stuff in the new place. What do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,160,148 times
When my MIL dies - after DH and his Brother pick what they want and grandkids pick then I hope we have one. She has a large house with LOTS of things in it - some antique - some junk.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Would you? Did you? I mean where you hire a lady who comes in and prices Everything. Then you leave the house for a weekend and the lady and her helpers sell everything. I did it for my Mom's house and people tramping all over was a sight to behold. But it saved me having to sell stuff individually.

Am wondering if this is as popular in different areas as it is here. I am just a couple miles from a huge retirement community and they have them every single weekend. I am sure there is an advantage to selling everything and then buying new stuff in the new place. What do you think??
I think an estate sale is the way to go. I don't know what percentage they get from the sale but it would be worth it to me. I wish my brother had done an estate sale with my mom's house. He had yard sales every weekend for three weeks. The yard was FULL, the driveway, carport and AZ room were FULL. I don't know how anyone could even see what was there. And since I was still in my little house behind there it was crazy just trying to get through it all.

I would have liked to get rid of 90% of my 'stuff' when I moved and buy new (to me) things. I am replacing some things, a little at a time, so it'll all work out.

People having the estate sale can help the people moving into the community to refurnish their homes! I do see a few estate sales in the paper and I really prefer them to the garden variety yard/garage sale. Usually better quality 'stuff'.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM

361 posts, read 348,115 times
When we decided to travel full time in our RV we put the house on the market. After it sold we had a person come in a price everything in the house (estate sale) except for very personal things that we stored with relatives. The day before the sale began we got in the motorhome and left. Now after 9 years on the road we purchased a home and of course had to purchase all new "stuff". No problem and I would do it again.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Would you? Did you?
If YOU'RE the one doing it... it's just a yard sale.
Yeah... have one.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:14 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,185 times
Absolutely, for a relative. We stumbled into this when we were emptying a relatives home from out of state. We had limited time there and I reached a couple of antique ladies about a couple of items. Turned out they did estate sales and could do it on a quick turn around for us. We basically gave them the keys to the place and came back, 500 miles, the week afterwards. They were wonderful. What they didn't sell, we put into lots and they took to an auction. They also put a few items on eBay. Then what was left, they brought a trailer and hauled it to the dump. We had the house ready for the market on time. And, it turned out the people who bought it had spotted it due to the estate sale. It wasn't on the market yet but they figured it must be coming so had their realtor watching. We are already planning to contact them when the time comes for my FIL home in the same area.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,178 times
Several times. The first time was for my first MIL. She passed away. She used to own an antique store and she kept a lot of inventory in her home. When you opened closet doors stuff rolled out like a tsunami. There were little paths you had to follow to walk through the house. If it got really bad we had to crawl underneath tables. We didn't know what was valuable and what was junk so we hired an estate agent. It took her months to go through everything with an army of workers, but she priced everything for us and got it all sold in 3 days(!).

The second time was for my first FIL. Apparently he had taken a lot of stuff out of the antique store and stored it in storage units after his wife died. We couldn't believe it when we found more stuff. We hired an estate agent and she went through his home and storage units with a small army, valued everything and got it all sold in 3 days.

The third time was when my current husband and I decided to get married. His wife had died and he had a houseful of stuff. I also had a houseful of stuff. We needed to merge our stuff. We eventually decided to just get rid of it all and buy joint stuff together. We picked the items that we couldn't part with and then we hired an estate agent to value what was left and to sell it. It all was sold over the weekend or was donated.

I find it an easy, though costly, solution.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,417,308 times
As a retired widower, my daughter finally convinced me to sell the house and move out of state to go live with her family. So an estate sale was the best way to clear out all the unwanted items from the house. I went thru this website Find Estate Sales to locate agents in my area, and because I was not under any time crunch, I went to several sales to see how it worked, and "interview" the agents to find one I felt comfortable with. When the time came, they cleared the house in 3 days, including a car.

BTW They charge between 40% and 60% of actual sales, depending on size of sale. Just bear in mind, you are doing this to clear things out, not to make money.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Auction / Estate Sale +++

imagine getting rid of EVERYTHING in 1 day! (for a 30% 'up-tick') With the right sales people you can make a haul (and not have to U-Haul it away / WASTE weekend after weekend setting up your displays / delivering stuff to eBay customers.)

Poof, gone!

Some of us don't have much 'daylight' left... don't burn it on 'stuff', better to burn the stuff! (gone in one day too!)

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM

527 posts, read 1,091,750 times
With the contents of an entire house
Once you have pulled out all the important to you stuff.

A yard sale,
you deal with putting stuff out, with public coming in, negotiating with buyers (would you take this$) all day.
As each peice goes, memories of that lamp or chair come back
When end of day, you will still have some stuff. dump ? another sale? bring back into house? burn it?

An estate sale, run by a company
You drive away for a day, enjoy the beach
some cash is waiting for you,
if you worked out a deal, any stuff left over, the company pays a lump sum for what doesn't sell and takes
house is empty in 1 day and you have a little cash in your pocket, have dinner thanks to the deceased.
Your mind is clear that all the stuff has gone to a good home appreciated and not to dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or