U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:57 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,769,854 times

Advertisements

These are the lowest of the low. We must all alert our neighbors, parents, friends to the unscrupulous practices of people like this.

Telemarketer accused of "bullying" the elderly - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
From what I read he was charged with calling people on no call federal list. Sounds like all they could charge with for whatever reason. I mean I'm on that list and get calls all the time like that.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
The area I'm at is probably one third retired folks and the local tv stations are always trying to stay on top of the latest scams. And these cretins are inventive-they think of damn near everything.

All I can say is this is pretty damn disgusting. Well, I can say more but the language filter will catch the expletives.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 AM

39 posts, read 31,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From what I read he was charged with calling people on no call federal list. Sounds like all they could charge with for whatever reason. I mean I'm on that list and get calls all the time like that.
Sorry I targeted you, texdave, but we do need to get awareness out. I plan on saying something like, 'Has the attorney General approved this. Are you aware I'm on the 'do not call' list? BUT, there were many times I had to be aggressive in my business life. I don't know how to let other seniors know. I do plan on putting info on the community bulletin board as I become aware of it, but most of the folks here are 70-90 and do not have computers & are not interested in having one. This is one of the times I am so appreciative of having this knowledge & the machines.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:34 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
So the easy fix is just don't answer the phone. Let them leave a message. You can always return the important calls.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,301,479 times
DH & I never pick up the phone without checking caller ID first. We must get a dozen telemarketer calls a day, even being on the Do NOT Call list. When no one picks up the phone, they disconnect. A few go to voice mail and get deleted. I'm just surprised people actually pick up the phone every time it rings without screening. Maybe the 75-90 contingent grew up in a simpler time where you didn't have to worry about idiots.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I get a lot of calls from non-profits and charities. I do check caller ID and let it go to voice mail most of the time. Very few people communicate through calls anymore, it's true. Scams have to target elderly because so many people have stopped having landlines. I think they will go the way of the dodo bird as more and more people stop having landlines.

But yeah, bulling older people who are too decent to conceive of a scam… very low indeed.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 PM

1,208 posts, read 707,680 times
If you pick up the phone and it's a telemarketer, just hang up. No need to be polite, No need to get angry, No need to be mean. No need to speak to them. No need to acknowlege anything they say. Just hang up. Just hang up.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I get a lot of calls from non-profits and charities. I do check caller ID and let it go to voice mail most of the time. Very few people communicate through calls anymore, it's true. Scams have to target elderly because so many people have stopped having landlines. I think they will go the way of the dodo bird as more and more people stop having landlines.

But yeah, bulling older people who are too decent to conceive of a scam… very low indeed.
I agree. I'm living in a senior building where I believe I'm the only one with a computer or cell. Most folks here are in their 80's & 90's. I'm sure they answer the phone because that's what you do. Should add that the charities that I donate too send me letters rather than phone.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:14 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Caller ID is not a free service included with your phone connection. You have to pay a for-profit corporation for your protection from another for-profit corporation, and those two corporations are in bed with each other.

Actually, I get so many calls from friends with unlimited long distance to talk my ear off, sometimes it is a welcome relief when it is a telemarketer that I can hang uo on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or