U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,024,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Not quite at retirement age yet. But...having sold a home not long ago, I am very glad that we didn't attempt a FSBO. There were many complications that I was grateful to have had handled by a third party. Moving was difficult enough! If it were a small condominium where we hadn't lived for more than a few years--in a hot market--perhaps it might have been worth a try.
Legal complications? Arbitration? That would be handled by the two lawyers, not the realtor. Can you explain a little more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:40 AM

6,592 posts, read 8,044,990 times
I'm thinking of going flat fee (adds to MLS and popular RE websites) when I sell my small horse farm. While equestrian realtors might know about owning a horse and the local horse show scene, they don't know my farm, my land, or my community like I know it. I want to be the one to market it and the one to answer questions. I don't want someone else improvising or delaying answering simple questions. One of the flat fee agencies I discovered has a website template and domain register for a modest fee, which I have not seen offered by any of big agencies. Very useful IMHO. One of the earlier posters mention writing a blog, which I have never done and don't know what that entails, but I would consider it (maybe).

My photography skills are rusty but I figure I can take tons of photos and select the better ones. I also have the benefit of waiting for the best natural lighting over a multi-day period. The legal end will be straight forward since I have an attorney lined up. I will be paying full fare to buyers agents, who are the real heroes in selling these less usual properties.

If I had ANY non-conforming property, or an historic home, or any special conditions, I would suggest that reasonably savvy owners should talk to a real estate attorney to see what role they could play, then think long and hard about listing your place yourself. Setting a price of course means following the local market very closely and being able to justify the price. If you need to show the home yourself, and are doing it by yourself, be sure to have some type of security arranged.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 AM

451 posts, read 385,845 times
We initially put our previous house FSBO. We put the signs out the day before a neighborhood garage sale and had a huge amount of traffic. We even had a few people say they were going to go home to draw up an offer.

The funniest couple that walked through LOVED the house! Then as they were leaving, they said "We'll take it. Does the $800 per month include utilities"?

Umm.... It's not for rent, it's for sale. And you won't find a 4bd/4/ba home with new roof, water heater, AC unit, fixtures, paint and carpet, landscaping etc. in this neighborhood for $800 per month.

They argued with me that they saw it advertised on the Internet. I told them to walk over to my FOR SALE sign and take one of the flyers. While they did that, I closed and locked the door.

We ended up hiring an agent because the new house we bought was 45 minutes away and we would not be able to accommodate people for showings. Our agent jacked up the price a bit, sold it quickly and we banked roughly what we were expecting in the first place.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:23 AM

179 posts, read 189,211 times
No one mentioned the stress of dealing with the real estate agents.

In the one we just put an offer on we had lots of questions. An owner would have been able to answer them immediately. Instead we had to tell our agent, who had to contact their agent, then get the answer and the same way back. Each step was a couple of days.

The nightmare we had with our last listing could not be done again by anyone aging. We don't know if we will ever totally recover from that because it was daily stress and they still didn't get it sold.

It does make us laugh though because the office we had it listed with calls us every couple of weeks to ask if we want to relist. They ask questions such as "what are you going to do with that house". We are waiting to see how long it takes them to take the couple of minutes out to look at county home sale closings and find out our house closed last year.

If there were truly a professional way to sell a house I would do that but here there are only real estate agents and brokers and realtors. We can't go through that again.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 AM

1,189 posts, read 981,762 times
Default a realtor can be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Legal complications? Arbitration? That would be handled by the two lawyers, not the realtor. Can you explain a little more?
Not legal, not arbitration. The assessed value was quite a bit below the sales price. The buyers were not particularly pleasant people and we were glad not to have worked with them in order to salvage the sale. It could have fallen through, but our agent was able to work it out.
The process of prepping our home for sale, sorting things worth saving, donating and actually moving out was time consuming and tiring. It was a good sized home where we had raised four children. We were delighted to have professional assistance at the business end.
Our state does not require lawyers to be involved in home sales.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
No one mentioned the stress of dealing with the real estate agents.

In the one we just put an offer on we had lots of questions. An owner would have been able to answer them immediately. Instead we had to tell our agent, who had to contact their agent, then get the answer and the same way back. Each step was a couple of days.

The nightmare we had with our last listing could not be done again by anyone aging. We don't know if we will ever totally recover from that because it was daily stress and they still didn't get it sold.

It does make us laugh though because the office we had it listed with calls us every couple of weeks to ask if we want to relist. They ask questions such as "what are you going to do with that house". We are waiting to see how long it takes them to take the couple of minutes out to look at county home sale closings and find out our house closed last year.

If there were truly a professional way to sell a house I would do that but here there are only real estate agents and brokers and realtors. We can't go through that again.
Up here there is some kind of law that if you de-list with an agent, and you then sell on your own or with another agent within 6 months, you owe that first agent (the one you dumped) some kind of commission, maybe half. The reasoning must be that they did "something" to initially market the property. So sellers beware.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Not legal, not arbitration. The assessed value was quite a bit below the sales price. The buyers were not particularly pleasant people and we were glad not to have worked with them in order to salvage the sale. It could have fallen through, but our agent was able to work it out.
The process of prepping our home for sale, sorting things worth saving, donating and actually moving out was time consuming and tiring. It was a good sized home where we had raised four children. We were delighted to have professional assistance at the business end.
Our state does not require lawyers to be involved in home sales.
It's a real problem when the asking price is above the assessed value. How did your realtor work that one out? Did you get your asking price, or close to it?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,332,248 times
Sorry I didn't get here earlier, negirl.

I am lucky enough to have a place to move into so selling quickly isn't part of the equation.

That being said, I don't even want to deal with selling while we are still in the house. Once we finally hit the road, I hand over the keys and the hassle.

Wish me luck

Old 04-25-2015, 05:10 PM

21,554 posts, read 44,151,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Up here there is some kind of law that if you de-list with an agent, and you then sell on your own or with another agent within 6 months, you owe that first agent (the one you dumped) some kind of commission, maybe half. The reasoning must be that they did "something" to initially market the property. So sellers beware.
Same around here - but only if the buyer's name appears on the list given to the seller when the listing expires. It's called filing names. If the names aren't filed with the seller, generally no commission is due the listing agent.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,271,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If I were making an offer on a house and you pulled down the cabinets that were hanging in place when I saw the house and made the offer I would be pissed too. Why do you make her out to be the bad guy here? Your line that the cabinets "was an heirloom furniture item and anyone would know it was not staying with a home" is complete nonsense.
Do you even know what a Welsh cabinet is?

Here is a photo of one very similar to mine. The top has to be secured or it would tumble over very easily. It matches my other dining room furniture. Why would anyone think this was a fixture?

http://www.rubylane.com/item/541897-...-Dresser-China

Last edited by brokensky; 04-25-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or