U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Same around here - but only if the buyer's name appears on the list given to the seller when the listing expires. It's called filing names. If the names aren't filed with the seller, generally no commission is due the listing agent.
Thanks for clarifying that, I hadn't heard of it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:22 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,699,775 times
The way houses are flying the market around here lately, you'd have to be an idiot to fork over 6% to anyone.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times
Only in the land of opportuniy, Stan. You lucky goose. We're giving them away up here, who in their right mind wants to move here???

Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 PM

179 posts, read 188,478 times
[quote=newenglandgirl;39364702]Up here there is some kind of law that if you de-list with an agent, and you then sell on your own or with another agent within 6 months, you owe that first agent (the one you dumped) some kind of commission, maybe half. The reasoning must be that they did "something" to initially market the property. So sellers beware.[/QUOT

I wasn't aware we dumped anyone. Listing expired. That means we sat there for the whole time and then asked them to remove their sign at the end of the time. Is that dumping? Very strange.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,644,682 times
Then you were in a HOT market AND OR you sold too cheap..
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We will list ours FSBO when it goes on the market. The last time we sold it in 4 days. Piece of cake. Just hire a lawyer for all the legal stuff. Much cheaper and a lot less hassle than an agent what wants to show the house at 8:00am or 10:00PM. List it on craiglist. Run an ad in the paper or other circulars. One of the things the agent offers is that they can sell it quick. But if you've retired, your not usually in that big a hurry.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
That being said, I don't even want to deal with selling while we are still in the house. Once we finally hit the road, I hand over the keys and the hassle.
That's what we've been lucky enough to do every time we've traded houses. First we moved, then we listed the house and let the agent deal with it. It's not an option of course if you need the sale proceeds to buy another house or if your monthly cash flow prohibits carrying two mortgages for a short time. But that's never been the case with us and it won't be for our next move either.

I'd never look at or buy an FSBO (unless I personally knew and trusted the seller) because I don't see the upside - it's not likely the seller would cut the price and there's just too much room for all kinds of emotions to affect the negotiations. For the most part, our experiences with real estate agents have been better than those with lawyers.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
It would depend on situation and other things like health. We sold out last home ourselves ;no problem.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 AM

10,467 posts, read 5,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Do you even know what a Welsh cabinet is?

Here is a photo of one very similar to mine. The top has to be secured or it would tumble over very easily. It matches my other dining room furniture. Why would anyone think this was a fixture?

Antique Oak Welsh Dresser, China Cabinet, Hutch. English. from streetsoflondonantiques on Ruby Lane
Wow I stand corrected, my apologies. I did not understand what the cabinet was and obviously neither did the 6-7 posters who sent me positive rep votes for my post. From your description it sounded more like a fixed cabinet, it's clearly a piece of furniture. Again I'm sorry I did not understand what you were talking about, it's a beautiful piece so I can see why you were fighting for it.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01;.[/QUOT

I wasn't aware we dumped anyone. Listing expired. That means we sat there for the whole time and then asked them to remove their sign at the end of the time. [B
Is that dumping? Very strange.[/b]
I misread.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:28 AM

86 posts, read 94,879 times
We will be selling next spring, we are in a very hot market, two other condos in our complex sold this month in a day - at asking. We did talk about selling FSBO, but decided we will use an agent. We will try to get a reduced commission since we will use the same agent that sold this to us 3 yrs ago. At that time, housing here was still a mess and the condo was on the market for 18 months. We did get a bargain! It has changed now, we hope that next April it will still be hot. We'll see. Our energy will be used packing up and moving back to east coast, with the excitement of retirement at last.... Our experience with RE agents has been very good. They have worked for us and there was a lot of value add to the process.

When we bought our house in WNY, we expected a dining room chandellier that was magnificent. When we came back for the inspection, the fixture had been changed to the cheapest, cheesiest light you've ever seen! The offer sheet did not state that the fixture was not part of the sale. Our realtor negotiated a credit and while it was less I imagine that the fixture was worth, we were satisfied that we were acknowledged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or