U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 AM

1,324 posts, read 838,347 times

Advertisements

As a 63-year-young single, I hope to relocate to Arizona sometime this year or early next spring. I have a very limited income. I discussed this move with my daughter who thinks I should fly out for a few days, obtain lease for apartment/townhome/duplex for next month, return home and move the following month.

I had thought to just move to Tucson, take a 30-day furnished rental, explore the area - not just Tucson but other areas of Arizona (maybe Bullhead City or Kingman), then obtain whatever lease.

Yes a furnished rental would be expensive, but not nearly as much as flying out for such a short period of time. The month rental would give me more time to find somewhere I really want to live.

In your opinion, which is the better plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Smile Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
As a 63-year-young single, I hope to relocate to Arizona sometime this year or early next spring. I have a very limited income. I discussed this move with my daughter who thinks I should fly out for a few days, obtain lease for apartment/townhome/duplex for next month, return home and move the following month.

I had thought to just move to Tucson, take a 30-day furnished rental, explore the area - not just Tucson but other areas of Arizona (maybe Bullhead City or Kingman), then obtain whatever lease.

Yes a furnished rental would be expensive, but not nearly as much as flying out for such a short period of time. The month rental would give me more time to find somewhere I really want to live.

I thought about getting a furnished apartment for 6 to 12 months which would give me plenty of time to explore a lot of places. I asked the forum about getting a furnished place and got some interesting feedback. There was discussion about not giving up things of sentimental value. I have nothing that conjures up sentiment. Anything that might be of sentiment has been let go many years ago.

But have decided against furnished for other reasons. I don't want to leave my toe back in NY.... if I have stuff in storage I could be tempted to give it all up and move back (do not want to do that). But I did decide to evaluate the stuff I have and do a bit of weeding out. My couch has been moved many times and probably will never be what it used to be. So if I can't sell it, I'll donate it. Same for some odd things I have around. Considered buying a small kitchen set (very cute and very reasonably priced), could possibly still do that .. sell or donate what I presently have. I want something that might perk me up a bit when I first got there. I don't require expensive things. I don't need expensive to be happy.

My income has limits..... have stressed over that for much too long. I am doing my best to accept "what is." In another 4-1/2 years my bigger debt will be paid. Something to look forward to.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,339,474 times
Quote:

I think the 30 day furnished rental is a good idea. It will give you time to check out different places and more rentals in the area you decide to live. If you're going to stay for a month, though, you probably will have to rent a car for that time unless you're close enough to drive.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:23 AM

425 posts, read 388,308 times
Quote:

At first I thought your daughter lives out there already, but upon re-reading, I guess she doesn't. I like your plan better.

I think such a major move requires more than a few days or even a week. I guess you have to rent a car as well.

Unless, you have family or good friends already there who will drive you around, and show you the different possibilities and neighborhoods.

Realtors do do that, but when our realtor drove us all over our town (we relocated to Maine from NJ), I just found myself getting tired, a little dizzy from so many turns, and other than realizing I didn't want to be in the part of the town that was so far from the supermarket, I don't know how helpful it was. It became a blur.

If you haven't already, use the Arizona forum to get feedback on your locations. Think of your questions and ask.

Good luck to you! Tucson is great.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:40 AM

6,131 posts, read 9,095,981 times
I would say take your daughter's advice and fly out here and rent a car and get an apartment. Look for one that has storage in its own complex. When we moved here (daughter and me) we found one that included the storage. We went home and packed and so when the truck arrived (U Pack) here, most of it went into the storage and the rest into the apartment. We stayed in that apartment (I did anyway) for 6 months, while I looked for work and a permanent place to live. My daughter moved out first because she found work first.

Believe me, Phoenix (or Tucson for you) is mind boggling if you don't know the area. It will take alot of driving around for you to determine where you want to be. This is not an easy thing and I always said it's better to have someone to do it with. But if alone, you just bite the bullet and think good thoughts. It's not impossible.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I would say take your daughter's advice and fly out here and rent a car and get an apartment. Look for one that has storage in its own complex. When we moved here (daughter and me) we found one that included the storage. We went home and packed and so when the truck arrived (U Pack) here, most of it went into the storage and the rest into the apartment. We stayed in that apartment (I did anyway) for 6 months, while I looked for work and a permanent place to live. My daughter moved out first because she found work first.

Believe me, Phoenix (or Tucson for you) is mind boggling if you don't know the area. It will take alot of driving around for you to determine where you want to be. This is not an easy thing and I always said it's better to have someone to do it with. But if alone, you just bite the bullet and think good thoughts. It's not impossible.
PhxBarb, I like those last three words you wrote..... it's not impossible. Good positive attitude!!

I would recommend one more thing. If you do not know the cost of living of a place you can find out. You can compare where you live now to the city/state you want to live in. I've used Sperling quite a bit to determine what area was friendly for my income. And remember, within a state there are variables, while one city is friendly, another (larger) city may be too expensive.

Just a thought. My good wishes to you..... I have information, determination, positive attitude but sometimes I still think I'm going on a wing and a prayer.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,056,086 times
First of all, find out if a 1-month rental is even a possibility. Where I live, 6 month is the shortest usually and then way more expensive. I'd take a trip out to look around before moving. Yes, a trip is expensive, but could be much cheaper than if you make a big mistake on area. Stay at AirBNB or VRBO and get some thoughts from locals.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

OP: I'd go with this option, too. One month is hardly enough time to find out where you want to put down roots. Get a month-to-month lease (not a year lease), and you'll get your deposit back when you leave. Then you won't be under so much pressure to choose, you can take all the time you need. You have to make time for surprises, too, such as getting a bad cold, or whatever, which can set you back a few weeks.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:16 PM

708 posts, read 538,790 times
The one month plan sounds good. We had friends who rented in Tucson for a month, part of which was to attend a trade show.

Out daughter has a better idea for just about everything we do. Based on that, I would say trust your own judgment.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:27 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,229,362 times
Since you are on a limited budget, why not make use, at least for the first few days, of the Evergreen Club? There is a nominal membership fee, and you will be staying with someone who knows the area and may be able to give you some tips or local information that would help you get settled. If you don't like one host you can find another one. You would have to host someone at some point, but it might be a great way to meet interesting people. Anyway, just thought I would mention that as another option.

Here is the link:
https://www.evergreenclub.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or