U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,460,899 times

Advertisements

I retire in 32 days. as soon as we get our house built, it will be off to the races. We have already been to 20 countries, and have no desire to lessen that. We will actually do some domestic trips while we build. Just the other day we got out our travel "Bucket List" and updated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:58 PM

154 posts, read 401,876 times
My spouse and I always made travel a number one priority. We both studied abroad, both in high school and in college.
We didn't take many international trips when our children were growing up. However, we always went on at least one extended vacation in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico with them.

Since then, we have traveled to Portugal, Spain, England, and Costa Rica.
We always take at least 2 airplane trips domestically a year. We love seeing the southwest. One of my favorite trips was hiking and seeing the breathtaking scenery in Utah. Been to Florida many times. Now that we are approaching retirement, (4 years to go, hopefully) we are taking at least 2 big vacations a year.

Once I retire at age 58 and my husband at age 62 we will travel at least 4 big trips a year. Also, hoping to rent a place in the south for at least 2 months of the winter. I want to do as much as possible before we turn 70. Trying to keep ourselves in good physical shape and eating as healthy as we can so we can actually have the stamina to do all this!!

Old 04-27-2015, 03:01 PM

26 posts, read 17,680 times
Just retired April 1 at 55. My hubby is still working, so we may not travel alot right now, but we are putting together our "list". We struggle with where to go since I enjoy tropical beach locations, and he likes history and sightseeing.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
My spouse and I always made travel a number one priority. We both studied abroad, both in high school and in college.
We didn't take many international trips when our children were growing up. However, we always went on at least one extended vacation in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico with them.

Since then, we have traveled to Portugal, Spain, England, and Costa Rica.
We always take at least 2 airplane trips domestically a year. We love seeing the southwest. One of my favorite trips was hiking and seeing the breathtaking scenery in Utah. Been to Florida many times. Now that we are approaching retirement, (4 years to go, hopefully) we are taking at least 2 big vacations a year.

Once I retire at age 58 and my husband at age 62 we will travel at least 4 big trips a year. Also, hoping to rent a place in the south for at least 2 months of the winter. I want to do as much as possible before we turn 70. Trying to keep ourselves in good physical shape and eating as healthy as we can so we can actually have the stamina to do all this!!
Can I ask where you live now and if you plan on staying there as a domicile in retirement? I'm currently living in CA...retiring in Oct. ...considering moving back to a cold weather state in retirement (no state income tax, family there, etc..lower cost of living)...and then just travelling a lot in colder weather times and perhaps staying domestically for a couple of months in warmer weather...

Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM

154 posts, read 401,876 times
Burkmere, I live in the high property tax state of N.J.! So no, we hope to leave N.J. when we retire but we do want to stay within a few hours drive of our friends and family. We are considering Delaware at the moment. We can put up with a bit of winter, but the last two winters really got on our nerves.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Burkmere, I live in the high property tax state of N.J.! So no, we hope to leave N.J. when we retire but we do want to stay within a few hours drive of our friends and family. We are considering Delaware at the moment. We can put up with a bit of winter, but the last two winters really got on our nerves.
I hear ya. I'm weighing the need/advantages of being near relatives in a low cost/no income tax state vs. being in a warmer climate in retirement. Will have to see how it processes out.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Since I have moved to paradise, I really have not had a great desire to travel. Most of the places that I would travel to have worse weather and/or less things to do.

Gone are the days where I had to head out of town every month or two on a trip.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 PM

13,893 posts, read 25,347,447 times
None darn it! No money. But I can't complain because I went all over the world when I was young and still working.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:50 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,658,054 times
I did a career in the military and we lived in Europe and Hawaii along with several states in the US, and travelled extensively at every location. I have also travelled to Asia for a couple of duty trips (Japan and Korea, with some touring too), so we aren't really looking to travel significantly once we retire full time - we got most of it out of our system already!

I suspect we will go to Australia and take a cruise from there to New Zealand, do an Alaskan cruise, and one trip to Europe for a river cruise - probably 1 trip per year for our first three years in retirement.

Besides that, I think our travelling will be limited to car trips to see family (once we relocate to the mainland) with some side tours along the way while getting to and from.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM

34,699 posts, read 33,718,482 times
I traveled in my job and didn't like it. Being single, I had nobody (spouse, kids) I needed a vacation from unlike most of my co-workers. I liked the "being in different places" part and have been to 33 states plus DC for work or vacation but hated the act of traveling by plane and since my Star Trek transporter has yet to be invented, and I decided once I retired I would never get on an airplane again, I do vacation road trips in retirement. When I was married and living on Long Island, we did vacation road trips for bass fishing tournaments.

My purpose for travel changed in retirement when I developed a photography hobby and especially a bird photography hobby. This fits well with my "I don't want to dress up" and my "I'm pretty boring" personality. Five years into retirement I also developed leg/mobility issues. My vacations are road trips primarily to photograph birds and scenery for competitions later in the year. I get up every morning before the sun comes up and head out. Some of the National Wildlife Refuges have auto loops or wildlife drives and many of the forests have roads running through them meaning you don't have to do a lot or any walking. I seek those out. I've never paid more than $4 to enter a refuge, many are free, and I only pack sweat pants/jeans, tee shirts and OFF! plus camera gear for my trips. Last year I was in South Carolina, the year before that I was in Delaware/MD and the year before that I was in Michigan. Tennessee is geographically in a good place for road travel since it is surrounded by 8 states. I leave for North Carolina and 4 refuges this weekend and I'll be gone for 12 days. I may do a similar type trip in the Fall to a different state.

However, my choices are restricted now due to the leg issues (thank God I didn't have a hang gliding, mountain climbing or hiking hobby) so if I could give any travel advice to retirees it would be, you never know when your health may go south. Do your traveling when you physically can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or