U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,646,595 times

Advertisements

Yes it is and on $2000 a month just the initial cost of getting "there" can be a killer.. and you HAVE to figure on getting back, and everything is Always more expensive for the "Gringo" .. Toss in the need to Speak the language.. Its an Implausable Dream.. We had a home on Cozumel and sold it for numerous reasons..We did move to the fun in the sun though and are living pretty happy on the water in SWF..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Living overseas is a possibility, but is way oversold and can be difficult on many, many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,565,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I am SO glad to read some unbiased info on retiring overseas here. The usual internet crap is all wine, flowers and carefree living, never mentioning the technicalities or Real costs. This is GREAT stuff! DW would never retire in Asia, central or South America. Europe is possible, but even the. Only for a few years, tops.
As someone who has spent a lot of time abroad, living there permanenty is way too hyped. It will work for some, of course, but there's lots of issues to overcome and presumably folks here are retirement age so it's not like you are moving there havin worked there for years and years throughout your career or you are first moving there in your 20's or 30's. Much different ballgame. Sure, it can work...but if you aren't familair with the territory, to me, it doesn't make much sense.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Yes it is and on $2000 a month just the initial cost of getting "there" can be a killer.. and you HAVE to figure on getting back, and everything is Always more expensive for the "Gringo" .. Toss in the need to Speak the language.. Its an Implausable Dream.. We had a home on Cozumel and sold it for numerous reasons..We did move to the fun in the sun though and are living pretty happy on the water in SWF..
Yup. A lot of the folks bragging about being able to live on 1000 a month in Thailand "have" to live on $1000 a month. And believe me, they aren't having all that much fun or money to do much with and being stuck in Isaan on $1000 a month is not my idea of anywhere near fun. Ok, maybe if you are 25 for a few years, but not 60 plus if you aren't used to it. Sure, 2k is better there if you are in a rural area in Thailand, but even in Bangkok, your lifestyle will need some adjustin'!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I live comfortably in the upper Midwest for around 2k a month. actually, so far this year it is$1700 a month, which includes pro rated property taxes, health insurance and meds, I would personally rather live here than overseas.
Totally agree. In fact, I' looking at the Upper Midwest as a place to retire. What I can save by doing that and being closer to family and no state income tax will allow me to be gone for 3 months or more during the "bad weather" part and still come out ahead. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds..

I'm fortunate enough that I won't be doing on 2k a month, fhowever.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,271,519 times
Where in the upper midwest with no state income tax are y'all talking about? South Dakota is the only one I know of? That's a no go for DW. Too isolated and too harsh winters. We've been thinking Delaware (even though Delaware has an income tax). We will have more like $8k/mo to live on.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Where in the upper midwest with no state income tax are y'all talking about? South Dakota is the only one I know of? That's a no go for DW. Too isolated and too harsh winters. We've been thinking Delaware (even though Delaware has an income tax). We will have more like $8k/mo to live on.
Yes, Sioux Falls. I grew up in S.D. Currently live in CA. Not totally sure yet, but Sioux Falls is nice Sure, there's winter, but I don't plan on being there all winter. Family there, etc. I'm also just kind of tired of California and the politics and taxes here, plus there's a drought. So, here's an example of how high tax rates doesn't necessarily help the state if people move at least partly because of it. I mean, I can be gone from Dec. through Feb. and still be way ahead financially.Tired of the left wing politics in the Bay Area. We'll see. I think the first thing is can one retire financially? Then, I think it's a process after that. One might not know exactly how they are going to do retirement until they try things out. What you thought you were gonna do may "feel" much different two years later. I think after the finances are figure out and there's other things you'd rather be doing than working, the other stuff will evolve as long as you have a basic plan and financially you will be ok.

Oh, and my take home will be about what yours is, perhaps a little less when I figure everything in. Maybe 7k. And I'm single, but don't own a home. In my case, that's a good thing...flexibility.

Last edited by Burkmere; 05-01-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,646,595 times
IMHO and only having really been to Mexico and owned a home and car and bank account etc etc and then traveled and stayed here and there ... It Is Cultural SHOCK... Not All Bad for a short time, often its part of, The Adventure, but believe me when I say , that some of it, gets OLD REALLY FAST.. The Screw The Foreigner Game gets old real fast and I suppose the less $$$$ you have the faster That Game Gets Old..
Lets remember or possibly become aware of this as well.. Depending on where you move to and from, in The USA, The Culture Shock can still Very Real.. We Moved from The Far Western Suburbs of Chicago to SWF ( This is a middle to upper middle class, Pool Home Water Front Retirement Mecca) Not All of us, but the majority of us , who have retired here have Passive house-hold Incomes of, between $50K and $150K a year. We far out-earn most of those who live and work here. Culture Shock..Thats to say...... if you have 2 cities offering the same jobs, but 1 is offering 50-100% or more $$$$ than the other the quality/attitude/education of the people that will apply , are totally different..
We All IMHO really need to research where you want to make your final stop to be.. We decided Cozumel wasnt the place for us, so we sold that home and car etc etc looked over on the Beach on the Mainland near Progresso... that didnt really hit the mark either.. We had looked in and around The Lake Areas of AR. and MO. as well. We finallly settled on Waterfront SWF. It still took some adjusting on all fronts...
If you are not an Experienced World Traveler ( not vacationer!! ) dont even entertain most foreign locations. Its just not going to work and especially if you need to pinch pennies... Good Luck, I hope it all works out for you..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM

191 posts, read 146,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
yeah we all know how hard federal and state workers work. give me a break.
I'm a state worker and work just as much and as hard as most anyone else. There are lazy asses everywhere even in - gasp - private industry. I know because I've worked both sides of the fence. The contractors I see in my own office don't work any harder than anyone else and many of them have better/more flexible benefits than us lazy gov't types. Working from home part of the week and their commute time considered part of their paid work day, to name just a couple.

At the end of my career and if I'm not dead, I'll enjoy my pension, thank you very much - I will have earned it. That along with the other investments I make sure to have so I/we can afford to retire at the typical age.

Generalizations are for people who believe everything they see on the news and in general don't want to think too hard.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,228,824 times
Forgive my ignorance..SWF?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,657 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
...1000 a month in Thailand "have" to live on $1000 a month. And believe me, they aren't having all that much fun or money to do much with and being stuck in Isaan on $1000 a month is not my idea of anywhere near fun. Ok, maybe if you are 25 for a few years, but not 60 plus if you aren't used to it. ...
I am thinking you have not spent a lot of time overseas since your 20's?, but...

I and many others have no problem with some of the 'adjustments' of living overseas in retirement.
(and there are plenty) We both ride scooters for 90% of the trips, vans and drivers are CHEAP when you need one. (Scooter is faster anyway on back roads and in traffic. And of course more dangerous. DS got run off the road, so had to make a $10 trip to hospital to get patched up. I'm insured till July, so no problem getting dead via a scooter crash, DS will live High on the hog.). Just gotta watch thos Toyota pickups with 3M high loads of durian. They are always tipping over. I have lost only 3 friends to traffic accidents in Thailand. Many more in USA.

$2000 / month is completely is BY CHOICE... we gave it all away in our 30's to a family foundation, we still gift out of our abundance (BY CHOICE) (and drive a $35 grease car that is 37 yrs old... that is not an issue, tho friends are not impressed we don't have AC. Had a WONDERFUL retirement and pension till Ms. Medieval History major trashed 330,000 technical $100k+ / yr jobs and took our company equity and cash to the cleaners, and she took our 1,000 hrs sick leave and 30 days / yr vacation to Monte Carlo to 'Double-down'. I hope she is better at being US President (sees a perfect fit! (but not my vote!))

Living overseas may NOT be forever, but then... neither are we.

I am not gonna sit in the comfy USA and condemn those who are capable of giving it a try, just because I like to be a wet (sweat) blanket.

State the issues / options and consider some folks MIGHT have a brain to decide (novel idea), but not very likely to the 'C-D senior club'.

Sioux Falls is a great choice. I will stick with Spearfish as probable US domicile (long term), but wish an international airport was closer!

For now SA TX and PNW WA will do for my short amount of time in USA (Also have places in Colorado and soon NE TN). Thailand and South America places will be a cottage on a farm (or renting a flat). Very VERY Ez to do for long trips. (<1 yr)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or