U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,561,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am thinking you have not spent a lot of time overseas since your 20's?, but...

I and many others have no problem with some of the 'adjustments' of living overseas in retirement. (and there are plenty) We both ride scooters for 90% of the trips, vans and drivers are CHEAP when you need one. (Scooter is faster anyway on back roads and in traffic. And of course more dangerous. DS got run off the road, so had to make a $10 trip to hospital to get patched up. I'm insured till July, so no problem getting dead via a scooter crash, DS will live High on the hog.). Just gotta watch thos Toyota pickups with 3M high loads of durian. They are always tipping over. I have lost only 3 friends to traffic accidents in Thailand. Many more in USA.

$2000 / month is completely is BY CHOICE... we gave it all away in our 30's to a family foundation, we still gift out of our abundance (BY CHOICE) (and drive a $35 grease car that is 37 yrs old... that is not an issue, tho friends are not impressed we don't have AC. Had a WONDERFUL retirement and pension till Ms. Medieval History major trashed 330,000 technical $100k+ / yr jobs and took our company equity and cash to the cleaners, and she took our 1,000 hrs sick leave and 30 days / yr vacation to Monte Carlo to 'Double-down'. I hope she is better at being US President (sees a perfect fit! (but not my vote!))

Living overseas may NOT be forever, but then... neither are we.

I am not gonna sit in the comfy USA and condemn those who are capable of giving it a try, just because I like to be a wet (sweat) blanket.

State the issues / options and consider some folks MIGHT have a brain to decide (novel idea), but not very likely to the 'C-D senior club'.

Sioux Falls is a great choice. I will stick with Spearfish as probable US domicile (long term), but wish an international airport was closer!

For now SA TX and PNW WA will do for my short amount of time in USA (Also have places in Colorado and soon NE TN). Thailand and South America places will be a cottage on a farm (or renting a flat). Very VERY Ez to do for long trips. (<1 yr)
Yep, like many things in life...it all depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,643,098 times
Yes I agree whole heartedly.. I too have a friend living in Thailand and he wanted me to visit him.. ALONE.. He has the morals of a street dog and on $5K a month he says he lives like a Minor Deity hahaha Old Craig is living pretty large.. But thats just not the life I wish to live.. For me it would suck living anywhere even in paradise , if I had to watch every penny and not be able to live/splurge a little once in awhile.. Its Hard To Eat a Beautiful Sun Set......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yup. A lot of the folks bragging about being able to live on 1000 a month in Thailand "have" to live on $1000 a month. And believe me, they aren't having all that much fun or money to do much with and being stuck in Isaan on $1000 a month is not my idea of anywhere near fun. Ok, maybe if you are 25 for a few years, but not 60 plus if you aren't used to it. Sure, 2k is better there if you are in a rural area in Thailand, but even in Bangkok, your lifestyle will need some adjustin'!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:31 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,766,103 times
Have you looked into what is involved in living in another country? The flight there will be expensive. Where do you stay while looking for a place to live? How do you pay for that? If you live in another country, will you be able to collect your SS? Have you looked into the US tax situation if you leave the US? There are some crazy tax laws. How will you visit your family? Children? Grandchildren? Have you looked into what happens if a war breaks out? How do you get out of the country? Where do you go? With what money?

I would look into cheap places in the US long before I seriously consider moving overseas. There are plenty of places here you can live cheaply. You can also look for a part or full time job. It may not be your dream job.....but how many of us actually land that in our lifetime? Hate to say it, but WalMart and McDonald's always seem to be hiring. May not be glamorous, but it sure beats a cardboard box!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:48 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
I love it. First this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by great discussion View Post
After being laid off my job of over 25 years and getting the bad news that the job market for professional people is lousy if you are pushing 60, my desire for a new career type job is slowly going away.
Then the truth comes out:

Quote:
Most employers see a layoff as the same as being fired. Regardless the company decided they did not need someone like you and if you were any good they would have kept you. Potential employers don't want the unemployed regardless of why they left.
Quote:
Laid off or fired, pretty much the same. Any organization worth anything knows that they have to hold on to their best people. In times of layoffs they get rid of the dead wood, and find a home for the best workers. Most employers know that the people laid off are either dead wood or trouble makers.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,766,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I hear Ocala is lovely. Thoroughbred country. Pick up a part-time job or start a small business and you could add $1000/month or more to your income. Volunteer at a food bank or join a food co-op and cut your costs.
Starting your own veggie/fruit garden is another way to cut down on expenses. You could can tomatoes or freeze them for many meals. Same with many other fruits and vegetables. You can also make things like jam and pickles to help out. Baking your own bread is significantly less than store bought....better for you too.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM

491 posts, read 598,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yes, Sioux Falls. I grew up in S.D. Currently live in CA. Not totally sure yet, but Sioux Falls is nice Sure, there's winter, but I don't plan on being there all winter. Family there, etc. I'm also just kind of tired of California and the politics and taxes here, plus there's a drought. So, here's an example of how high tax rates doesn't necessarily help the state if people move at least partly because of it. I mean, I can be gone from Dec. through Feb. and still be way ahead financially.Tired of the left wing politics in the Bay Area. We'll see. I think the first thing is can one retire financially? Then, I think it's a process after that. One might not know exactly how they are going to do retirement until they try things out. What you thought you were gonna do may "feel" much different two years later. I think after the finances are figure out and there's other things you'd rather be doing than working, the other stuff will evolve as long as you have a basic plan and financially you will be ok.

Oh, and my take home will be about what yours is, perhaps a little less when I figure everything in. Maybe 7k. And I'm single, but don't own a home. In my case, that's a good thing...flexibility.
I live on the other side of the state(Black Hills) although I grew up in the easten part of the state. I lived in two other states most of my adult life and moved back here 10 years age. This winter I paid to have snow plowed 3 times and two of them if they came a few hours later it would have been all melted. Certainly there have been years when there was more snow. I personally don't mind cold and snow, much prefer it to heat and particularly heat and humidity. I guess I totally don't get the "isolation" thing, but I am a introvert and actually prefer fewer people.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I would look to rural US. Somewhere warm and rural, a place you can have a garden and some chickens. A private well. Wood and propane/electric heat. Close to a town with a Walmart and some good discount grocery stores. Maybe get to know a few people and pickup up job at a small store or something if you need it. Take a close look at taxes, i figure income tax isnt going to be your primary concern with your income being trimmed so much. Download some tax forms from the perspective state and get a rough idea of your taxes to make sure. Checking rental prices might be difficult without being there but you should be able to get a good idea from the local sunday paper online.

States I would look at

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah etc. Not all those are warm of course. I would probably start in south east texas, coastal areas and work my way up. A lot of nice small towns that you can get by comfortably in on 2000 a month (assuming you arent paying debts).

Mississippi, Louisiana, parts of rural Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee ....

Old 05-01-2015, 04:33 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,561,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I live on the other side of the state(Black Hills) although I grew up in the easten part of the state. I lived in two other states most of my adult life and moved back here 10 years age. This winter I paid to have snow plowed 3 times and two of them if they came a few hours later it would have been all melted. Certainly there have been years when there was more snow. I personally don't mind cold and snow, much prefer it to heat and particularly heat and humidity. I guess I totally don't get the "isolation" thing, but I am a introvert and actually prefer fewer people.
BTW, I grew up in between Aberdeen and Pierre...so sort of North Cental S.D.

I still don't know for sure if I'll do it, but right now I'm thinking I will. I retire Oct. 1. I grew up in S.D. got my undergrad degree there, but moved in my mid-20's to CA and it's been ok to me, particularly job-wise. Now that I'm retiring and I'm single..no kids...I'm thinking it migh be nice to be near family...(some live in Sioux Falls, some in other parts of S.D. Some family 5 hours away in Iowa...these are sibling, niecess and nephews, and grand nieces and nephews in S.D. and Iowa My Mom is also in S.D. and is 83.

I'm going back for three weeks to hang out and test out Sioux Falls (and going to an Eagles concert there!)...my bro is a big-wig there and got tickets! I think realistically the only place I'd want to live would be Sioux Falls because I'm kind of used to the suburban life out here and it's an up and coming metro area of 250k...nice downtown now, etc...can go to Twins game in the summer..Omaha and Mpls a not too long a drive away...etc...plus direct flights to Vegas, Phoenix, etc. on Allegiant!

To me , the major drawback would be the weather..but I'm thinking I can go somewhere for three weeks in December....then parts or all of Jan and Feb...and maybe hit Spring Training in March or March Madness in Reno or Vegas (I do that now)...then I"m already through the bad stuff. Who knows? Maybe I'll find that spending more of the winter there than I though is worth it. I don't want to paint too positive a picture in advance in terms of spending all this quality time with the nieces, nephews, and grand nieces, nephews, siblings, etc...I don't want to be disappointed when I can't get as close as I want, etc...but probably worth a try...

Oh, and financially...no state income tax so that saves 8% right away...everything else is generally a little cheaper, also...so I figure with the money I save, it'll finance a lot of my trips....should have 7k take home to live on anyway....will probably rent...but gives me a chance to buy a very nice two BR condo for about 150k back there, too...

Rambling...but these are my thoughts....I like the Hills...do you live in Rapid? At least if I'm in S.D. I can certainly visit the Black Hills in the summer..one thing I"v always wante to do is take a thorough drive through the Badlands...never done that!!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,379,886 times
Lived overseas for 21 yrs so SOME experience, tho not retired. YES, you can live very well overseas IF you study and ensure that you are right for the place you wanna try and IT is right for your needs. Measure twice and cut once is an old adage that will serve you well in making this type of call, so STUDY, STUDY, STUDY and ensure that those that are giving you info are #1, giving current info; #2 have similar needs/situations' #3 are being HONEST and not giving you info along with a sales pitch!

Good luck!!! We have seriously given thought to ex-pat lifestyle once retired, but I am and hubby isn't yet, so we still study and study if that is right for us, and if so, where.

Good Luck!!!!!

PS....LOVE Thailand personally, but not for everyone!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:25 PM

5,416 posts, read 5,109,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
If you are not an Experienced World Traveler ( not vacationer!! ) dont even entertain most foreign locations. Its just not going to work and especially if you need to pinch pennies... Good Luck, I hope it all works out for you..
I looked into possible locations for early retirement. In poverty that is. My conclusion was that the ~$1k/mo that I can comfortably live on in the US would be difficult to beat anywhere. The big things like rent, utilities, and vehicles just aren't that cheap. I know how to get by in the US, but somewhere else it would be tough, especially not knowing the language. Of course if you are the adventurous sort and wish to live in another culture as they do then you'll be fine, but in that case the motive isn't really to save money either.

It looks to me that the ones who can really benefit from retiring overseas are the ones that wish to live like kings on ~$100k/yr. You can have a very nice house and best of all, servants. Even if you hire illegals in the US it would be tough to afford, but in poor countries you can get a butler, maids, cooks, driver, etc for peanuts. Also if you are so inclined, you can afford good prostitutes on a regular basis. I'm not interested in either, even if I could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or