Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:47 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
More pension envy no doubt. Now run along!
Curmudgeon, I respect you and derive much wisdom from your viewpoints, so eloquently expressed. So much so that I'm thinking to explore the Ozarks when I hang it up and do the National Parks tour for a coupla years in my yet-to-be-acquired RoadTrek or similar.

But I've got to disagree with you about "hardworking" bureaucrats. I have been dealing toe to toe with Feds here in Metro DC for almost a decade. A more entitled and arrogant bunch you'd never want to meet. The more impediments they can cause, the more important they are. The more they control others' time, the more important they are. The more time you waste, the more control you have over others' calendars. That is the Fed game. - with the exception of the DoD.

In sum, I rather agree with the posters who are skeptics about bureaucrats who claim they "work hard". You may well be an exception, but regrettably you are lumped in with a sorry bunch, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I see you changed it from your original obnoxious personal attack.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I don't have any special knowledge, but I have read in various conversations of late that Thailand too is tightening up their residency visa requirements.

Anybody looking to retire in a foreign country first needs to look at the visa regulations to see what requirements are and whether they qualify.

After that you can argue the cost bread and rent.
Of course visa requirements is a very important first step.

As a 'young' retiree you will be joined the ranks of those who cross borders frequently to keep 'entry stamp fresh' every 60 days in Thailand. There are 'independent border agents' (guys on motorcycles) that will deliver you to a place that will stamp your Passport. We were usually in Burma doing this, but ONLY when we hadn't been outside Thailand for 59 days in a row!!! Very rare, since we travel a lot. Need to remember... most of Asia and western Europe you can cross a few countries each day,... Take the night train and you may wake up several countries away from where you left. Thus a 'free pass' for another 59 days. I also follow the 'Tax Treaty', so at 183 cumulative days / yr I'm GONE from that country.

As with most foriegn living...flights / travel... be ready for a LONG queue, delayed flights, pushy NOISY people with B.O., shopping bags (lots of shopping bags) in overhead, FULL flights, even at 3AM. JAMMED FULL! Price of admission, not for whiners and complainers and those wanting an EZ chair / couch potatoe experience. Gotta get in a Dig, smell, push, and 'cackle' with the best of them.

If we lose all the low cost air carriers, that might be a burden, but there are SO MANY!!! I usually used Scoot, Tiger, Jetstar, Air Asia, for under $100 you can fly all of Asia, many destinations under $50 (next day / same day). VietJet is really good ($25), as is PAL, I have not tried Vanilla Air! It is Japan based, so should be a real tight squeeze for a westerner!

Plenty in Europe too.
List of low-cost airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really brave and being local... use the overnight buses (~$10). As a commercial driver I don't do overnight buses. especially in Canada! (man beheaded seat mate on Greyhound).

Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course visa requirements is a very important first step.
Unfortunately, this is a step nobody else here seems to have taken any note of. They seem more interested in arguing amongst themselves about rice and beans and bus fare.

If you don't have a legal status to reside in any given country, the cost of goods and services is a moot point, because you won't be there anyway.

Americans seem particularly impervious to the importance of visa acquisition and legal foreign residency permits.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:33 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
As a 'young' retiree you will be joined the ranks of those who cross borders frequently to keep 'entry stamp fresh' every 60 days in Thailand.
Currently in Thailand you can get a 30 day extension on the 60 day tourist, so visa runs are only needed every three months.

Quote:
Really brave and being local... use the overnight buses (~$10). As a commercial driver I don't do overnight buses. especially in Canada! (man beheaded seat mate on Greyhound).
Taking an overnight bus hardly requires being "really brave" just common sense. Even in countries with a reputation for the occasional bus hijacking the overall numbers of buses on the highway every night as primary means of local long distance transportation puts into perspective how low your risks are.

Avoiding Canada because some psycho lopped off another passengers head you might as well avoid all the Asian airliners because of recent Air Malaysia accident.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
$400/mo would get you a very nice place in Chiang Mai, if you have an open mind.
Depends on very nice and where you want to be.

Yes you can get a reasonably nice place in Chiang Mai for $400 but if you want to be nearer the city center where you can walk to things and want a place more comparable to US apartment with a kitchen (granted not necessarily a need in Thailand) you start finding things can be closer to $600+. A lot of people get lured to the idea of Chiang Mai with web sites touting $300 lodging but they find it is either a studio or a place farther out in the sticks than they expected.

Obviously your point still stands, obviously cost of living is lower in Thailand and you can get a downtown place in Chiang Mai for much cheaper than similar in US city.

I don't know exactly what requirements for the Thailand retirement visa is right now, the financial requirements weren't too bad the numbers sound pretty gaudy in baht but I think were low enough that most people seriously considering the move could pull off. It did have a min age of 50.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I grew up in a small Midwestern town for 22 years and lived in two more in college and 4 years beyond. There are tens of thousands like this with many in larger places with airports, bus lines, near downtown and shopping in mid sizes cities of 50-100k. There's tons more in smaller towns. The OP isn't asking to live in Manhattan. 24k a year ain't gonna let you rent a 10k a month apt.

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/apa/4955782565.html
That's interesting. I'm from further up north. The rent and home prices in general keep getting more expensive the further north you go. In EGF, Crookston, TRF, etc. An apartment like that generally rents for around $800. Then, ND is quite expensive, too.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I researched this quite a bit and I believe you can live less than the cost of the USA in certain locations and depending on your circumstances. Key factors are:

1) What is your health care situation. If you are eligible for Medicare, there goes a big cost savings advantage of living overseas for those of us under 65. You should be able to get health coverage at 1/3 and possibly less compared to the cost of US coverage in Thailand, Malaysia, Spain, Peru among other countries.
2) How often and for how long will you fly back to the USA. Obviously, this will impact your costs.
3) Cost to sell and manage your US investments.
4) Currency changes and costs.
5) What level of local lifestyle and food standards will you accept.
6) Acceptance using the public transportation of the area.
7) Can you qualify for the Visa to stay there.

I have traveled and worked all over the world and currently working in Peru. For low costs but still good access to adequate hospitals, housing, entertainment, etc, these are good options in my opinion:
1) Chiang Mai - You can definitely live considerably cheaper in CM than any comparable US city. Plus they have adequate health care, housing is acceptable, the people are very friendly, large expat community, warm but no overly humid climate. Disadvantage is the transportation around town is not the best and you will still be limited in things to do and availability of things you are accustomed to in the USA.
2) Penang Malaysia - may be a bit more expensive than CM but still has a lot of nice features.
3) Arequipa, Peru - this is where I currently work and they have a great climate, good food, low cost, but there is a bit more crime here you will have to be more careful than what you would in Asia.

Big Cities
1) Bangkok - really has a decent public transport network, easy to get anywhere in the world from their airport, great food, but a bit humid and housing is not cheap. Food and other expenses are cheap though.
2) Kuala Lumpur - May be more boring than Bangkok but has great cuisine and advanced transport system.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you have a time machine, don't sell that because you're going to need it if you want to live affordably in Costa Rica. Set the Wayback Machine for 25 years ago and you should be set.

Many people have asked the question you're asking. For some, what it boils down to is healthcare. You can get Social Security as an ex-pat. But you can't get Medicare.

This is part of the reason so many people recommend not leaving the U.S.

I hear Ocala is lovely. Thoroughbred country. Pick up a part-time job or start a small business and you could add $1000/month or more to your income. Volunteer at a food bank or join a food co-op and cut your costs.
You can live very cheaply in Costa Rica. You just have to live like a Tico, without the American lifestyle.

- no AC
-use public transport
-live in Tico housing
-use Internet at cafes
-eat local foods only, including eating at sodas for the tipicale meal of chicken and Gallo pinto.
- put up with difficulties in setting up everything like utilities

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Lets see, when is the last time you heard of someones Roth Ira, or 401K being cut? Or ESOP shares being taken away? Obviously you like opinions masked to look like facts.
Watch Out: Your 401(k) Is Being Targeted - Forbes

Obama step closer to seizing retirement accounts

U.S. Supreme Court Decision Will Lead to Intense Scrutiny of ESOP Fiduciaries | Blank Rome LLP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement