U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM

3,755 posts, read 9,615,977 times

Advertisements

I 100% recommend Road Scholar both in country and international. I think we are on our 10th trip and they were all fantastic. We are going to Oxford England for 11 days in a few weeks and then this fall we are doing the northern CA wine trip. We did Napa and Sonoma with them also. We have done the Survey of France with my husband using a walker due to a sudden accident and they made it possible. They pay attention to the surveys the participants give at the end of a trip. We took my motherinlaw to the Mansions on the Hudson and saw things we never would have found on our own.

Nice thing is that the whole itinerary is laid out for you ahead of time so you can read it and decide if the activities fit your interest.

Oh, our last trip was a South Carolina BBQ class with Road Scholar. The instructor, JT Handy, was the best ever. Learned so much, laughed so much, ate so much, and made many new friends.

The fellow travelers have been as interesting as the sites we visit. Usually teachers, ministers, librarians, professionals, doctors, etc. All looking for something more than shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 03:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 3,718,272 times
Alumni groups also have tours.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think my DH and I would enjoy traveling with a group sometimes. People to chat with over a meal, and take in the local offerings as a group. We don't have friends or family who are in a position to travel with us. I do see group travels offered online and wonder if anyone has ever done them and what its been like.... Anyone have experiences to share?
You're in the Dallas area?
There are many travel groups on Meetup who regularly plan group trips. Few seem to be age-restricted but the members appear to be mostly 40+ and 50+. If you're ok with that age range, go to Meetup and search for Dallas travel.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,439,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You're in the Dallas area?
There are many travel groups on Meetup who regularly plan group trips. Few seem to be age-restricted but the members appear to be mostly 40+ and 50+. If you're ok with that age range, go to Meetup and search for Dallas travel.
We do look at Meetup travel groups but haven't found any that look like a match yet for our schedules or interests.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,037,333 times
Senior communities often have travel clubs for residents.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,439,791 times
Thanks for the tip about Roads Scholar, we see many things of interest on their website!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:23 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My ONLY issue with the ones that I have investigated locally is that there cost is about 2-2.5x more than if I did the trip myself. Maybe when I am older, not driving and the like will appeal to me more.

Point taken and you are right. That is partly why we haven't really done many like that. The other part is we are not retired yet and are still spring chickens (57.5 me, 57 DW).

Old 05-03-2015, 06:30 AM

118 posts, read 128,262 times
I, too highly recommend Road Scholar and loved every minute of the trips I have taken with them. You can find something for every interest as their offerings are so varied. You will be with people with the same interest so friendships are easily formed. The program details that they show online are quite exact (open the tab that show daily schedule and read what you will be doing every day. You will get the idea if you will be on the go constantly or have more free time for shopping.

Pay close attention to the "activity bar" at the top of the trip summary and carefully read the activity description at the bottom. They are accurate. I took the Festive Christmas Celebration in NYC this past holiday and it was described as active and it was. We took the subway everywhere, which means lots of slippery stairs and the group walked at a good pace. If you were a stragler, you were left behind. Also, of course, due to the season, we were out walking a mile or two in a steady rain, snow & fairly late at night, and the trip was absolutely Wonderful, and the price was unbelievably low.

You will be staying in moderate hotels, nothing fancy, but I rarely saw my hotel room!

Lasting friendships are often made on these trips. And even if it is your first trip or you are traveling solo... You are traveling with friends, you just haven't met them yet! What could be better!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,786,811 times
Sounds boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or