Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times

Advertisements

50. Already did it. The company I worked for allowed retirement after 20 years of service.

If and when I work, it's usually only part time and only because I want to be in the loop meeting new people or to be in the company of children. I'm probably the cheapest babysitter not related to the family. It's not about money for me, it's pocket change for me as well as the ability to see the world through the eyes of a child and show the child the world through my eyes.

I am not above borrowing the grandchild of a friend and going to the fair. We usually like the same kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Retired at 52. Never worked again.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 PM

116 posts, read 448,565 times
I will probobly retire at 64...but will work doing something because I can't stay still for long. That is years and years away though, so maybe by then things will change.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
I dunno ...

I'm trying for 65 but, like an idiot I didn't plan for it when I was younger and only got seriously started in my 40's so ...

I feel like I need to work longer. Especially when I look at these retirement calculators that say I could live to age 90.

Plus, the fact that women live 6-8 years longer than their husbands also makes me paranoid about retiring earlier. Will I have enough money?

Even though I would get some of my husband's pension to supplement mine ... I doubt it would be enough for me to live comfortably.

So I'm probably going to try to work until age 70. My husband, however, will probably retire before I do. Our solution is to move back up to the Bay Area so he can play ... while I'll transfer to a higher paying job with better pension benefits.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-20-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
44!!! 6 more years to go on our plan!! yippee!!! Hubby is going to do voice overs after we retire though..so we'll still have some cashola coming in ...will probably do lots of traveling with that.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Retirement

My husband and I are both self employed so forget pensions and so forth. My goal is to increase his gross revenue but we are 55 and probably looking at 20 or so more years. We both actually like to work but we want to find a fun place to go (second home?) and have a virtual office - best of both worlds. We are fun type people, extremely active.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 276,933 times
Both self employed. Work for a long time, doing what I want.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
The way things are playing out in the falling economy, falling real estate and the falling US dollar, many of us might not be able to retire when we want to. I've taken a 20% drop on my California home in just the past year. Whole developments are in foreclosure. All homeowners take the hit for the bad lending by our esteemed banks. We can sleep easy knowing the Fed is still on "inflation watch"!

About the only investments that are still good are gold or foreign currencies.

Stock markets are crashing today (MLK Day) across most of the world. India down over 7% Germany and France over 4% China, Japan etc. around 5%. They are tanking because the shop-a-holic Americans have run out of money. We have spent ourselves into the poorhouse, both as a country and as millions of individuals.

My dream of retiring overseas is quickly fading away. The US dollar has been falling like a rock against nearly all foreign currencies. Most Americans do not realize the magnitude of the drop that the greenback is taking.

Guess I will retire to North Dakota or something. The 12 plus million illegals in this country may just move back to where they came from when they realize that the USD is becoming worthless. So now we get the big recession...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
My dream of retiring overseas is quickly fading away.
Yeah ... we pretty much gave up on that also. I don't want to be sweating currency fluctuations in retirement. The whole point is to relax and not worry about how much the dollar is falling.

Even if the dollar does regain it's value ... this latest drop has shown me that retiring overseas could be real problem because you'd never know what would happen. We're not particularly interested in living in some third world country either, just to save money.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 AM

16 posts, read 50,861 times
I'll be 50.5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement