Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd like to thank each one of you for your advice, it is really tempting the option of cashing out but at the same time I been uneasy about if I'm doing the right thing, no seems to be clearer that holding my horses and keep doing what I'm doing (living tightly) it's the way to go... once again thanks to all. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I know it's controversial, but I'd always want a mortgage if I had a house! Especially at these rates!
Pay 10 to save 5? I would not take money out of a retirement account. Just try to pay down what you can every month no matter how small of an amount.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,959,019 times
Get some housemates, and charge them the prevailing rent in your area! Use that money to pay back your mortgage, over and above your normal monthly payment. It'll be paid off in no time, and then you can start building up your money for retirement.

P.S. It would be easier to answer with more options, if we knew your age, income, and monthly outgo for bills.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,245,065 times
Very bad idea to cash out and payoff the mortgage. Maybe get some help with budgeting.There maybe some ways to cut your expenses.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM

10,802 posts, read 14,862,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgg View Post
Hello everyone:

I'm 49 years old and I count with about $100k on a retirement plan, but also I owe about $96k for the mortgage of my house, I was planning to cash out our money from the retirement plan to ease the monthly payments and at the same time to start saving for the future little by little to replenish the money we used for the mortgage which by the way I never been able to save for any 401k programs because the tight of the economy; so as I said this is my chance to pay off my house and start fresh with no house payments, so my questions to all of you is to advise me if I'm doing the right thing or maybe a mistake using our money this way...I need your help please.

FRGG
I will echo in with everyone else... huge mistake!

On top of federal income tax, along with very possible state income taxes if you live in a state with a state income tax, there's that pesky 10% penalty of early withdrawals before the age of 59 1/2.

Take out $96,000 and pay at least 35% on federal and state income taxes leaving you with $62,400. Subtract from that the 10% early withdrawal penalty and there goes another $9.600 leaving you with $52,800 which means you will still have a mortgage of $47,200 after squandering nearly all your retirement savings.

Huge mistake, don't do it!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,915,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I will echo in with everyone else... huge mistake!

On top of federal income tax, along with very possible state income taxes if you live in a state with a state income tax, there's that pesky 10% penalty of early withdrawals before the age of 59 1/2.

Take out $96,000 and pay at least 35% on federal and state income taxes leaving you with $62,400. Subtract from that the 10% early withdrawal penalty and there goes another $9.600 leaving you with $52,800 which means you will still have a mortgage of $47,200 after squandering nearly all your retirement savings.

Huge mistake, don't do it!
It may seem that your tax bite would not be that big, but realize everything you take out is added to your normal taxable income to calculate your tax bracket. So 35% is probably pretty accurate. And also your state tax is figured the same way so it could be pretty large. and the money you have to take out to pay these taxes? guess what? Its taxable! Welcome to the world of the 401K

So right now between these two accounts you are net positive 4K.
After taking your 401K out and paying your mortgage down, which would probably be closer to 55K. you are net - $55,000 You still have a 55,000 mortgage and No 401K at all.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,582,662 times
I'll agree. Don't do it !

Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,422,704 times
I would suggest almost making a game out of how little money you can live on. There is a blog from Cornwall, England where a woman and her husband did just this to pay off a huge debt. They could not get out of their big house because of the debt and got mad.

They paid off the debt, started on the mortgage and finally were able to sell the albatross and move to a much smaller house. They continue to save on everything and enjoy a really nice life.

Frugal Queen

I also recommend an old book from the library, Your Money or Your Life. I like how it makes people think about money.

Your question is the biggest problem with self directed retirement accounts.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:30 AM

105,710 posts, read 107,700,939 times
personally trying to live like a pauper doesn't sound like a game i would want to play.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 AM

6,552 posts, read 6,984,568 times
Quote:
Hello everyone:

I'm 49 years old and I count with about $100k on a retirement plan, but also I owe about $96k for the mortgage of my house, I was planning to cash out our money from the retirement plan to ease the monthly payments and at the same time to start saving for the future little by little to replenish the money we used for the mortgage which by the way I never been able to save for any 401k programs because the tight of the economy; so as I said this is my chance to pay off my house and start fresh with no house payments, so my questions to all of you is to advise me if I'm doing the right thing or maybe a mistake using our money this way...I need your help please.

FRGG
Quote:
Well, I'd like to thank each one of you for your advice, it is really tempting the option of cashing out but at the same time I been uneasy about if I'm doing the right thing, no seems to be clearer that holding my horses and keep doing what I'm doing (living tightly) it's the way to go... once again thanks to all. ;-)

Good and wise choice. At 49 you would not be starting out fresh anyway. Some interesting tips towards the end. "Rent a room or two out!" Hmmmmm might not be good if you are married though my house seems to work out since I am renting to family. Well not exactly renting. I take care of nephews from Korea while they go to school. The parents pay us to take care of them. I am in a unique situation so not many can do what I do.

Still there are many things you can do but that would not work until you are 59 and a half. If you were there I might say okay but..... you would have to take into consideration the tax burden you would incur. You would need 30% more then the mortgage to make it a clean pay out. In 10 years you would have that but in 10 years your mortgage will be 10 years older and less for pay out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement