Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,415 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I'm 49 years old and I count with about $100k on a retirement plan, but also I owe about $96k for the mortgage of my house, I was planning to cash out our money from the retirement plan to ease the monthly payments and at the same time to start saving for the future little by little to replenish the money we used for the mortgage which by the way I never been able to save for any 401k programs because the tight of the economy; so as I said this is my chance to pay off my house and start fresh with no house payments, so my questions to all of you is to advise me if I'm doing the right thing or maybe a mistake using our money this way...I need your help please.

FRGG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
I think it is a huge mistake. You will not be debt-free, you will owe the IRS big time when next April 15 rolls around. Possibly your state too, if you live in a state with income tax. When that is finally paid off, you will not have much time left to save some money for retirement.

You'd be better off to stop contributing new money to your retirement accounts than you will be to cash them in. You still have 100k growing and compounding for you, and that is huge. Don't throw that away.

Instead, focus on your budget. How much can you divert to your mortgage each month? Do you have spending "leaks", expenses which can be reduced or even eliminated? Focus on how your 100k is invested. Do you have a reasonable asset allocation plan, and are you watching your costs?

Old 05-02-2015, 04:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgg View Post
Hello everyone:

I'm 49 years old and I count with about $100k on a retirement plan, but also I owe about $96k for the mortgage of my house, I was planning to cash out our money from the retirement plan to ease the monthly payments and at the same time to start saving for the future little by little to replenish the money we used for the mortgage which by the way I never been able to save for any 401k programs because the tight of the economy; so as I said this is my chance to pay off my house and start fresh with no house payments, so my questions to all of you is to advise me if I'm doing the right thing or maybe a mistake using our money this way...I need your help please.

FRGG
Instead of cashing out retirement, start making one or two extra payments per year to pay down the mortgage, it will go fast. I was able to do this by tightening our belt and with freelance on top of my day job. I do not regret that route.

Extra Payment Calculator ~ Amortization Schedules ~ Accelerated Payments

Old 05-02-2015, 04:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Instead of cashing out retirement, start making one or two extra payments per year to pay down the mortgage, it will go fast. I was able to do this by tightening our belt and with freelance on top of my day job. I do not regret that route.

Extra Payment Calculator ~ Amortization Schedules ~ Accelerated Payments
I know it's controversial, but I'd always want a mortgage if I had a house! Especially at these rates!

Old 05-02-2015, 04:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Saving is hard. Leave that money where it is. I agree with others. Make payments for more than the basic payment. You'll be amazed how much faster you can pay off the house

Old 05-02-2015, 04:34 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Even without a penalty do NOT cash our your retirement. Unless you are investing poorly your rate of return on your investments should be higher than your mortgage interest with rates being so low for so long.. Now you figure in the tax deduction of the mortgage and the tax penalty you will pay by cashing out a retirement account at this age and this is a no-brainer.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Bad idea! Like some others have said, you'll take a huge hit on taxes, better to take their suggestion and make extra payments on your mortgage principle. Even if you stop paying into your IRA, your $100k, assuming a very conservative investment risk to net 6% over the next 17 years (when you reach FRA), you'd have over $268K, more than double! To pull it now you'll be throwing away $168K.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Leave it since beside the tax hit you also get a ten percent penalty for taking the money out. so you still would owe on the house. Also you might go into a higer tax bracket

Old 05-02-2015, 06:13 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
DON'T DO IT!

If you do, you will come to rue that day. Listen to the wise people here.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgg View Post
Hello everyone:

FRGG

Why not sell your current home and pay it off then purchase a smaller home with smaller payments, maintenance and utility bills.
Hopefully you can get enough left after the sale of your home and that paid off to purchase a smaller home with cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement