U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,229,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is there some way you could change your Sec 8 housing? Are you on any type of disability? Perhaps you could claim your environment is contributing to your depression? It certainly sounds like it is. Isolated, no neighbors around, too far from needed services such as medical, no availability of social interaction----anyone would be depressed in such circumstances!
I was going to suggest something like this. Use a health condition to get out of the lease. The OP must have a doctor. The doctors I know would work with me. The OP must have SOME kind of health issue her doctor can say is being aggravated by the dirt and condition of the apartment.

The OP says she doesn't have any money, but can Section 8 -- or county services (for the mentally ill or elderly -- help with a quick relocation? (Although 61 is not really elderly)
The idea about a local church helping out is also a good one.

snowtired's post #28 is also right on point.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
I don't think this thread should be deleted, because the OP is bringing up a broader circumstance than her own personal one. It's a timely subject for many seniors who are alone, whether or not they have the physical and mental challenges to the extent the OP has.

In my opinion, the original post is talking about being STUCK in an unbearable situation (whatever that may be) and being totally alone and isolated (so many seniors are) and also broke (many seniors are).

The combination of these three things is pretty tough. She asks "how does an older person keep going putting one foot in front of the other when everything seems to suck."

The positive answers I'm seeing here are:

1.Find a social network of some kind, any kind, like a church (or Unitarian Society if one is not specifically religious). This could work, but the OP does not have a working car. So....

2. Positive daily habits at home, like meditation, yoga (you can get DVD tapes for simple yoga for seniors), taking care of plants, listening to music or quality rented movies (not daytime TV), allowing yourself to draw or paint or write (even at a beginning level), checking in on and with neighbors, etc. If my life were constrained to the point of the OP's, these are the things I would do, with pleasure.

As for the car, see if there is a vocational school that would come get your car and take it to their shop, perhaps they will fix it cheaply or for free (?)

Once the car is taken care of, then focus on the housing problem. Must have a car first, unless you move right onto a bus line. Contact the "elders at risk" program through your local council on aging, and ask for a housing advocate for the disabled.

Read up some natural approaches to bipolar. There is nutritional support that can help, such as fish oil and fatty fish (Omega 3's), and a quality daily vitamin/mineral supplement. My niece, who has a form of bipolar, has totally changed her diet, eliminated all sugars including flour products and fruits/juices, and has experienced a significant degree of relief and is slowly moderating her meds under a doctor's supervision.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,380,904 times
You will not lose your Section 8 unless you are responsible for the unit not meeting Housing Quality Standards... and even then... it is a process with appeal.

Many organizations will help with relocation and deposits... here it is the Salvation Army and the Catholic Charities and you do not have to be Catholic... the city also has special assistance for disabled seniors... up to $1500 grants that do not have to be paid back.

You are very articulate and have the time to research you next move...

In all cases... after the first year, you are free to give notice and move.

Section 8 portability kicks in after 12 months... I know people that have relocated from clear across the country keeping their Housing Voucher intact.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 28 days ago)

8,744 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Is there anything that you love? Something that makes you feel good inside. Focus on that to whatever degree you are able; it might drown out the rest of the stuff in some small way even. I think talking to a mental health professional might help, too. No easy answers. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:10 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,585,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am 61 and have been under treatment for depression for 20 years. I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co. I have to be here 11 more months and I can't even begin to make a list of all the terrible things about my apartment, including cockroaches and surrounded completely by dirt.

How do I hang on? How do I move forward? I have a serious brain disease of the blood vessels and a brain tumor, although I have been lucky enough to escape any operations thus far.

I lost interest in dating several years ago. I just stay home and watch TV and surf the web, trying to find other miserable and depressed seniors out there but only the active, positive ones seem to post online. If you understand bipolar 1 depression, you know you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. My next mental health appointment is not for another 3 months because of a shortage of providers.

I am even in debt for getting this horrible place, and so I can't save to get out.

How do I keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of giving up and staying in bed all day long and only going grocery shopping late at night so I don't have to see anyone?

Anyone who criticizes me does not understand clinical depression, anxiety, and panic.

Oh and I have NO FAMILY at all anymore. And very few so called friends. I'm not feeling sorry for myself; just stating the facts because I can't seem to leave my bedroom. I've gotten other helpful answers here before.
Thank you for your understanding.
Section 8 would never condone filth and bugs.
Complain to them.
You only pay a small fraction of your income as well.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,392,811 times
Since we have been asking questions trying to help you from the dark place you are currently and get no response, I PRAY you see the need to get with your medical provider and get the help you need....either you are not taking your medication as directed (you state a 20 yr history) OR your medications need to be changed ASAP as anyone this despondent is not being adequately treated.

If you have elected not to take your medications, unfortunately the hole you have fallen into will only appear deeper and deeper to you and I PRAY you will decide to take them again.

I worked in a lock down psych unit and use to do the medication class. SO MANY of our patients freely indicated that they were NOT intending to continue their in patient medications once out of the hospital. I use to try and get them to understand how it not only affects THEM, but EVERYONE who loves them and comes in contact with them by using my requirement for glasses to see things.

I use to tell them, you think I am only affecting myself if I chose not to wear my glasses to see (not hurting anyone else by myself was my #1 "reason" folks stated they were not going to continue medications out of the hospital setting); but hey, the moment I try to drive without my glasses to see, I not only put myself, but others in harms way by forcing MY decision not to correct something correctable on them as they drive around me.

There is SOOOOO much help for those with mental illness available, but you have to ASK, be HONEST and then TAKE the medications giving your provider a FAIR and ACCURATE assessment of how you are feeling on the meds.

Prayers and blessings for your ability to get thru this....after 20 yrs I am sure you have some coping skills.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM

687 posts, read 695,801 times
Quote:
...I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co....
How did it all get so bad? What happend 20 years ago? What happened 40 years ago that all led up to this?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM

424 posts, read 287,502 times
Sounds like you're in a very bad situation, have you considered selling your car, buying an RV and just leaving the so called "apartment" and just living out of it? That way the bad rental record won't effect you and hopefully you could start the healing process while having the freedom to move where ever.

Anyways best of luck and I hope you pull through this alright.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM

756 posts, read 625,035 times
Post Hello Fellow Survivor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am 61 and have been under treatment for depression for 20 years. I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co. I have to be here 11 more months and I can't even begin to make a list of all the terrible things about my apartment, including cockroaches and surrounded completely by dirt.

How do I hang on? How do I move forward? I have a serious brain disease of the blood vessels and a brain tumor, although I have been lucky enough to escape any operations thus far.

I lost interest in dating several years ago. I just stay home and watch TV and surf the web, trying to find other miserable and depressed seniors out there but only the active, positive ones seem to post online. If you understand bipolar 1 depression, you know you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. My next mental health appointment is not for another 3 months because of a shortage of providers.

I am even in debt for getting this horrible place, and so I can't save to get out.

How do I keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of giving up and staying in bed all day long and only going grocery shopping late at night so I don't have to see anyone?

Anyone who criticizes me does not understand clinical depression, anxiety, and panic.

Oh and I have NO FAMILY at all anymore. And very few so called friends. I'm not feeling sorry for myself; just stating the facts because I can't seem to leave my bedroom. I've gotten other helpful answers here before.
Thank you for your understanding.
I am a similar situation. My entire life has been horrible and currently I cant think of any thing positive that has happened to me. This means that changing my life for the better is VERY important.

My shack sucks. I have been struggling in a smelly trailer park in land and I am surprised it has not been closed down. There are so many things wrong with this shack I am dreading what is going to malfunction next. I am not even going to try to talk to "management" again. It goes in one ear and out the other ear. They think they have me, but they do not. I am saving (even if it is literally penny by penny) and I will get out of there eventually, even if it will take many more months.

There is NO employment in this area; Notbody stays here for too long. So for now, I AM literally doing what you do! I am confining my self to my bed room, surrounded by lap tops. The roof leaks. The roof (and ceiling) is falling down. There is SooOoOooOoOoOoooo much mold in the shack that I have finally decided to do what I always wanted to do: I got many air purifiers. I basically have at least TWO of each kind. At least I am breathing easier now! No roaches though. That is because during the winter this shack gets so drafty that one time I dripped the faucets and it turned into icicles. So obviously the roaches had no warmth either.

Currently how I feel about other people and making new friends:

I have an "Iris Jungle" I was able to grow all these years. Whenever I move, I will take my jungle with me. I will move to a better area. And perhaps you should do the same. When I move there I know things will be better. All I have to do is force my self to not think so much about how old I am getting.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,103,325 times
Arizona Department of Health Services: Division of Behavioral Health Services

We, in AZ, know the past as far as mental health services. Poor at best. I think Magellan has been ousted as behavioral health contact. The new one ??? This website will answer that and give you someone to talk to no matter where in AZ you live. Please do look at it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or