U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:40 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,881,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Is there anything that you love? Something that makes you feel good inside. Focus on that to whatever degree you are able; it might drown out the rest of the stuff in some small way even. I think talking to a mental health professional might help, too. No easy answers. Good luck.

Any way to include music in your environment? Assuming you haven't already, of course Even a radio, some background music....

Old 05-04-2015, 06:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,533,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
My dog helped me but added to my anxiety a huge amount too because she had terrible phobias of people. Whenever I tried to walk her she would pull on the leash as hard as she could to try to get back home. She stopped sleeping with me or being affectionate, just due to her advanced age. I put up with her severe behavioral problems for 7 years. She was little companionship as she got older, if at all. And I couldn't afford the vet bills anymore so I adopted her out.

I see little hope for me, and only pain and hardship being alone. I tried to get my doctor to sign a form so I could get an In Home Supportive Services worker and my doctor refused to sign it even though I have many disabilities. It would have made it so that at least someone visited me.

The loneliness is very difficult but it's nice to be able to talk to people online. I don't know what I'd do without that. I also call a "Warm Line" every night where you can talk to paid strangers for 20 minutes although that, too, is unfulfilling.

Right now I cannot afford the $335 to get my brakes fixed and when I can no longer drive my car, I will be in even worse trouble.
why not get a pet bird as a finch or a canary bird for company

Old 05-04-2015, 06:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
I think we may have lost the original poster (OP), so our suggestions may be falling on deaf ears.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am 61 and have been under treatment for depression for 20 years. I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co. I have to be here 11 more months and I can't even begin to make a list of all the terrible things about my apartment, including cockroaches and surrounded completely by dirt.

How do I hang on? How do I move forward? I have a serious brain disease of the blood vessels and a brain tumor, although I have been lucky enough to escape any operations thus far.

I lost interest in dating several years ago. I just stay home and watch TV and surf the web, trying to find other miserable and depressed seniors out there but only the active, positive ones seem to post online. If you understand bipolar 1 depression, you know you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. My next mental health appointment is not for another 3 months because of a shortage of providers.

I am even in debt for getting this horrible place, and so I can't save to get out.

How do I keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of giving up and staying in bed all day long and only going grocery shopping late at night so I don't have to see anyone?

Anyone who criticizes me does not understand clinical depression, anxiety, and panic.

Oh and I have NO FAMILY at all anymore. And very few so called friends. I'm not feeling sorry for myself; just stating the facts because I can't seem to leave my bedroom. I've gotten other helpful answers here before.
Thank you for your understanding.
I ma bipolar, primary feature chronic depression, however right now I am in a manic phase.
I am disabled, but after a dozen years, I yearn for something "different".
I also have a bad back, a bad hip and a severely arthritic knee, and get around with a cane.

YOU need to find something to DO. I am looking at going back to work PART TIME. There ARE organizations that will HELP you find work or volunteer positions! FIND ONE, GO to them, ASK for help!

You CAN still earn some money and not affect your disability or SS income{IF you have it} if you are working below a certain amount per month.

FIND a senior citizens organization/club/group/center to GO TO.
IF you have trouble with transportation, these places are full of people who might want to help your get around to the groups/programs/etc.

Sitting in your roach-infested dirty section 8 housing alone all the time will only serve to FEED your bipolar depression, NOT "bring you out of it"!

FIND OUT if there are surgeries that will help your brain issues. JUSt because you "escaped" so far doesn't mean you r life WON"T improve with a surgery or two.

IF you don't do nay of the above, you have no reason to complain.

there is a quote "If you continue to do exactly as you have always done, you will get exactly the same results",
SO CHANGE what you are doing.!
It Can be done! I am proof!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 PM

361 posts, read 621,801 times
Many good suggestions here from caring people. Hope OP will check back.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 PM

19,871 posts, read 18,888,113 times
On section 8 you are not allowed to work. There used to be a small amount you could earn but that was done away with. If you work, they increase your rent according to your gross earnings. But you need to get some help somehow. OP, if you are still reading this, there are many caring people who are trying to help you. Some have offered to email you or talk on the phone.

You probably need medication for your chemical imbalance. You need a lot of help. Is there a council on aging where you live? They often have people who will visit you or drive you to appointments. Also, with your section 8, you can complain but as long as you are paying your rent and keeping the place decent, they cannot evict you. Someone said you must live in the first place for one year. I don't know about that but I do know that (maybe it's only after the year is up) you can give one month's notice and take your section 8 voucher to somewhere else. You could be looking now and I bet you could find something a lot better.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I would think the unhealthy conditions are only aggravating the health of this person who suffering from multiple ailments already. If her doctor were to confirm this, then wouldn't section 8 need to respond? As with any government agency, persistence gets results. Best for the OP to look for an advocate to proceed on her behalf.
Section 8 and city health inspectors do not need a doctor to confirm the conditions as its the same for all in housing. There are standards they enforce.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:42 PM

228 posts, read 191,611 times
Heartfocus,
I hear you. I suggest you contact Meals on Wheels. In addition to two small meals a day, you will receive a brief daily visit with the delivery person. It is a start. Meals on Wheels may be able to provide direction to other services.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,344,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
On section 8 you are not allowed to work. There used to be a small amount you could earn but that was done away with. If you work, they increase your rent according to your gross earnings. But you need to get some help somehow. OP, if you are still reading this, there are many caring people who are trying to help you. Some have offered to email you or talk on the phone.

You probably need medication for your chemical imbalance. You need a lot of help. Is there a council on aging where you live? They often have people who will visit you or drive you to appointments. Also, with your section 8, you can complain but as long as you are paying your rent and keeping the place decent, they cannot evict you. Someone said you must live in the first place for one year. I don't know about that but I do know that (maybe it's only after the year is up) you can give one month's notice and take your section 8 voucher to somewhere else. You could be looking now and I bet you could find something a lot better.
The premise of Section 8 is to provide modest housing in a variety of settings... in other words... outside the traditional projects.

Employment is highly encouraged and I have only had a few that did not work and they were disabled or elderly.

Several of my best tenants worked their way off the program by eventually earning enough so they no longer required assistance...

One got on with the city as a bus driver part time and on probation... overtime she advanced to where she had regular hours and a regular route. In the beginning she paid $211 of her $1200 rent which increased to $1157 her last year with assistance... in other words Housing kicked in $43 or her family's $1200 rent... this is what is called a success!!!

Another was a young single mom that eventually became a Registered Nurse...

Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 AM

322 posts, read 677,361 times
Please stop the suggestions. Please stop stop stop stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or