Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM

342 posts, read 716,851 times

Advertisements

Heartfocus, you mention that you were diagnosed with bipolar disease. You are probably aware that it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. I have a daughter in law with bipolar II, so while I am far from an expert on it, I'm aware of the depression it can cause.

I would say that right now you have a health emergency. Don't know whether you are on medication or not, but I do know that sometimes the meds need to be adjusted or changed. You need to be seen NOW by a health professional - not in 3 months - but right NOW. The level of your depression is very serious and there is help for you. If you were a member of my family, I would be calling 911 right now to get the help you need.

I know that you are concerned about your apartment, but right now your depression needs to be treated first. Please, please get yourself some help immediately. There is hope for you - the right levels of medicine can definitely improve your depression. Bipolar is a terrible disease, but there is help for it. Please take that first step toward getting better.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
I get you. I would gladly pay to talk to someone every day. What is a warm line and where do you sign up?

Lately, I have been wanting to find my dog a home, even though my situation is not as dire as yours. I recognize this as a symptom in myself of my deepening despair. I am easily irritated by my neighbors and my lack of ability to connect socially with others. Hopefully, I will be on the upswing soon.

I would be willing to connect by phone if we could make a pact to divide our conversation equally between the negatives and the potential positives in our lives.

whatever you decide, I believe I understand your situation. You have my sympathy.

I just saw fay111's post. I agree with her 100%

Last edited by Marka; 05-05-2015 at 02:05 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
If the thread is bothering you, simply quit coming back to it and reading it. Simple.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
OP

Maybe you can help me and in that it might help you.

How do I talk with my beloved sister who is pretty much where you are? Maybe different conditions but it is an effort for her to be well and when she starts getting really depressed I try to listen, assist, offer, anything and I can't get anything out that she feels helps her.

we don't live near each other so it is phone call either way.

thank you for any guidance you have

Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
Mental illness so misunderstood in society. My heart goes out to the OP. He obviously choose the wrong forum.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Mental illness so misunderstood in society. My heart goes out to the OP. He obviously choose the wrong forum.
There is a Mental Health sub-forum of the Health and Wellness Forum, which may have been a better place for this thread; perhaps it can still be moved there. By the way, the OP's personal profile states she is female.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I'd call the housing department in your city on the conditions. Also section 8 has guidelines that the landlord must meet so call the local HUD as they can help. Depression ;you know more than I about that.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am 61 and have been under treatment for depression for 20 years. I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co. I have to be here 11 more months and I can't even begin to make a list of all the terrible things about my apartment, including cockroaches and surrounded completely by dirt.

How do I hang on? How do I move forward? I have a serious brain disease of the blood vessels and a brain tumor, although I have been lucky enough to escape any operations thus far.

I lost interest in dating several years ago. I just stay home and watch TV and surf the web, trying to find other miserable and depressed seniors out there but only the active, positive ones seem to post online. If you understand bipolar 1 depression, you know you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. My next mental health appointment is not for another 3 months because of a shortage of providers.

I am even in debt for getting this horrible place, and so I can't save to get out.

How do I keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of giving up and staying in bed all day long and only going grocery shopping late at night so I don't have to see anyone?

Anyone who criticizes me does not understand clinical depression, anxiety, and panic.

Oh and I have NO FAMILY at all anymore. And very few so called friends. I'm not feeling sorry for myself; just stating the facts because I can't seem to leave my bedroom. I've gotten other helpful answers here before.
Thank you for your understanding.
Is there some way you could change your Sec 8 housing? Are you on any type of disability? Perhaps you could claim your environment is contributing to your depression? It certainly sounds like it is. Isolated, no neighbors around, too far from needed services such as medical, no availability of social interaction----anyone would be depressed in such circumstances!

I've been where you are at. The only difference was, I wasn't alone. I lived with my parents---this was about 30+ years ago. My mother simply wouldn't give up on me. She insisted I follow a routine, get up every morning no later than 9AM, get fully dressed, put on makeup, nailpolisn, at times she had to help me. Then, the rule was, unless it was a weather emergency day, we went out somewhere, even if just for a drive and a quick stop at MCD. I didn't have any friends, so, my mother took me along with her circle of friends, just to have any type of human interaction. Gradually, I pulled out of it and went on with my life.

Unfortunately, OP, you don't have any such support system. would you qualify for any type of inpatient care? I hate to suggest such, but its a last resort. Perhaps somewhere you could get a structure, routine, some sort of interaction?

For your meds, do you really need a mental health care provider? My DS was on ADD meds, and they were prescribed by a psychiatrist, which was a real pain to get to. Instead, he got a primary care doctor to prescribe them. do you have a GP type of doctor, or can you get one in town who can prescribe such as long-term maintenance drugs?

I wish I could do more for you, but please, don't give up on this thread. You are reaching out, that shows you haven't totally given up. Take heart that many have been in your situation and found light at the end of the tunnel. Keep the Faith

Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
I would think the unhealthy conditions are only aggravating the health of this person who suffering from multiple ailments already. If her doctor were to confirm this, then wouldn't section 8 need to respond? As with any government agency, persistence gets results. Best for the OP to look for an advocate to proceed on her behalf.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am 61 and have been under treatment for depression for 20 years. I've come to a place in my life where my life has become unbearable; mostly because I was roped into renting a cardbox box shack with my Section 8 by a "Bait and Switch" scheme by an unethical property mgmt co. I have to be here 11 more months and I can't even begin to make a list of all the terrible things about my apartment, including cockroaches and surrounded completely by dirt.

How do I hang on? How do I move forward? I have a serious brain disease of the blood vessels and a brain tumor, although I have been lucky enough to escape any operations thus far.

I lost interest in dating several years ago. I just stay home and watch TV and surf the web, trying to find other miserable and depressed seniors out there but only the active, positive ones seem to post online. If you understand bipolar 1 depression, you know you can't just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. My next mental health appointment is not for another 3 months because of a shortage of providers.

I am even in debt for getting this horrible place, and so I can't save to get out.

How do I keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of giving up and staying in bed all day long and only going grocery shopping late at night so I don't have to see anyone?

Anyone who criticizes me does not understand clinical depression, anxiety, and panic.

Oh and I have NO FAMILY at all anymore. And very few so called friends. I'm not feeling sorry for myself; just stating the facts because I can't seem to leave my bedroom. I've gotten other helpful answers here before.
Thank you for your understanding.
So my question in trying to help you figure out the questions you are asking is WHEN exactly did your life change from what it was to what it IS and HOW/WHAT CREATED THAT CHANGE????? Without knowing what you came "from" and what the turning point "WAS" it is difficult to figure out how to assist you in this current situation......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.