U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:05 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There's a bathroom on the right.
Hey, that's Creedence. I love Creedence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Y'all come! I'm not giving the house to the freeloaders. As for cats, they'd have to be able to get along with our three rescue fur-shedders....ummm....felines.
I had a chat with the cats who decided to move only if you know how to rub their chin and pet them while they eat. They also requre a sunny window with soft cushion and dinner of their choice. Please be sure the house is suitable and has their own private, well kept bathroom. Other than that, we'll meet you at noon today at the corner of Dumb St. and Dumb Ave.

It is so sad that some feel the need to endlessly brag about their wealth so I appreciate those know that real wealth is a happy heart.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,442,833 times
Quote:
How would a poor person surround themselves with successful people?

I have been thinking about this all day. Here is what I would do. Successful - probably well-off people (since Americans define success by financial worth), have the luxury of time. Thus, they do lots of volunteer work and go to art galleries/openings all the time. So..... if you wanted to seek them out and haven't the means to hang out at the country club, volunteer where these people also can be found: museums, libraries, theatres, opera.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
absolutely untrue. successful people make the time by giving up something else.. time is a commodity that gets traded. everything you want to do is done by giving up something in exchange you are not doing.

financially successful people don't have to have mega bucks. all they have to do is know something that you can benefit from financially that you didn't know.

i spent a life time learning from so many folks like this on internet forums , books and seminars . i made the time to learn and it was at the expense time wise of not doing something else. .

we are not talking cocktail parties. my partner in real estate was one of the most successful real estate moguls in history . he may even have been a billionaire when he died last year.

i have never socialized with him or his crowd ever.

learning how to do better financially takes on many shapes and forms and for most it involves picking the brains of every day folks.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-08-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 05:24 PM

17,039 posts, read 17,354,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Actually, I learned more in my life from watching what happened to people and thus, I learned to avoid certain situations. Sadly, in my life, I have been surrounded by death and that is why I have the attitude of really going all out to enjoy life, all the time. My money obsessed 2nd husband deprived us of much and even burst into tears when the hot water heater broke. When my washer broke, he said I couldn't have another. Pathological. Poor guy - he saved well over a million, dropped dead a few years after I divorced him (age 57) and left all that money to his sister. I can still hear him screaming at me "Haven't you ever heard of retirement!" Life is a balance. Save some money in case you live, spend the rest in case you die early (or become infirm).
How different than most people, who may start crying because they don't have the money to pay for a new hot water heater not that they have oodles of money but just don't want to spend it on essentials like hot water.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 PM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,112 times
Quite a few retirements happening the last couple of years at my place of work. Many of them because they didn't know what the state legislature was going to do to the pension system (I work in government) but many ran for the exits - some too early and then the recession happened and they were caught short.

Some have retired well planned - taking trips and vacations and generally loving life with their families.

But one has stuck with me. He worked for the police department - did IT for them. Retired after 30 years of service - so a full pension. His wife had family in another state and wanted to move closer to them. He grew up here and didn't know what life would be like in that other state.

Less than a year after his retirement we get the news that he committed suicide.

We were all in shock. We have no idea why - but we think that he moved out of his comfort zone.... and never recovered.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,057,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
absolutely untrue. successful people make the time by giving up something else.. time is a commodity that gets traded. everything you want to do is done by giving up something in exchange you are not doing.

financially successful people don't have to have mega bucks. all they have to do is know something that you can benefit from financially that you didn't know.

i spent a life time learning from so many folks like this on internet forums , books and seminars . i made the time to learn and it was at the expense time wise of not doing something else. .

we are not talking cocktail parties. my partner in real estate was one of the most successful real estate moguls in history . he may even have been a billionaire when he died last year.

i have never socialized with him or his crowd ever.

learning how to do better financially takes on many shapes and forms and for most it involves picking the brains of every day folks.

I know how to live on a shoestring. Practically everyone can benefit from that knowledge which most people do not have.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,872,076 times
Quote:
I know how to live on a shoestring. Practically everyone can benefit from that knowledge which most people do not have.
Thats good. You have at least succeeded at something in life. And just think, when you retire you will have the advantage of coping living on half a shoestring.

Seriously though, you are the first person I've ever met (assuming your story is true) whose prime ambition is/was to be the best burger flipper in town. Was that ambition worth it?

You do seem to forget that most people start out at the bottom and move up thru hard work and determination. In your case though, you started out at the bottom and leaped downward.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:24 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
Quote:
there are already enough people well versed in committing their own financial suicide already.

what they can learn from you is the excuses for doing so so they can shift the reasons elsewhere.

as far as studying those that got it wrong ? studying unique failures can be away of refining an already great plan , not to be used when first trying to to put together a good plan. first learn how to do things better from those who have done it or know how to do it better..

in the music business we have a saying , it isn't practice that makes perfect , it is perfect practice that makes perfect and that does not come from studying those that fail to do things right . it comes from learning from and watching the best.

once you got everything down as best as you can then it can be helpful to learn a bit from those that got things wrong but you need to have refined the correct way first.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-09-2015 at 03:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 AM

19,801 posts, read 19,900,285 times
Not meaning to make light of anybody that has lost someone right before or just after retirement age but remember, for those of us living long enough to collect Social Security....they do help keep the checks coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement