Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

My sister is going to be in that boat.
No retirement savings, no pension. Says she's just going to "work forever".
She lives to shop and could be the poster girl for the "American Consumer"

I figure she'll have to move in with me as SS alone will just not cut it and so am planning accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
The worst is dying just before or after retirement. This happened to both my father and my father-in-law. Worked, worked, worked their whole lives -- and then -- WHAM!

Yes, my Dad too. Such a shame.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
I knew someone whose ILs had lived as misers their whole life, to amass a great wealth so they could retire in style. Just after they retired, FIL was diagnosed with Alzheimers. MIL was in poor health. They spent their retirement living in nursing homes so they could deal with the FIL's illness. The traveling they had saved all their lives for, never happened.

Something similar is happening to my FIL. He just retired a few years ago and is in very poor health. MIL is healthy and active and wants to travel, but FIL is just too sick. I know it's been very disappointing to her.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Dying and severe illness too young are the worst.

My parents had just turned 65. My Mom planned to retire that year, while my Dad was still working. Then my father was hit by a car and was almost killed - hospitalized for 6 months, now severely disabled for life. Soon after, my healthy Mom was suddenly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died.

Both worked so hard all their lives, saved everything for retirement. Mom never saw retirement. Father's retirement is now spent with doctors, filled with pain and disability.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM

708 posts, read 721,182 times
Well this thread is enough make a person depressed!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
The worst is dying just before or after retirement. This happened to both my father and my father-in-law. Worked, worked, worked their whole lives -- and then -- WHAM!
Agreed - I was going to say that.

I personally knew 3 people who died on the night of - or the day after - they retired. It freaked me so much, I decided to "take a vacation" while my retirement took place. I didn't even know what day it was. I got back home, refreshed from the vacation...and I was retired (and still alive, and still am, I think!).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I knew someone whose ILs had lived as misers their whole life, to amass a great wealth so they could retire in style. Just after they retired, FIL was diagnosed with Alzheimers. MIL was in poor health. They spent their retirement living in nursing homes so they could deal with the FIL's illness. The traveling they had saved all their lives for, never happened.

Something similar is happening to my FIL. He just retired a few years ago and is in very poor health. MIL is healthy and active and wants to travel, but FIL is just too sick. I know it's been very disappointing to her.
I also know a couple who put off traveling to save for a huge around the world trip after they retired. They both retired in June and were packing a few weeks later for their many, many months long trip when the wife died of a massive heart attack.

The husband was so depressed that he never even took one trip by himself (even years after his wife died).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM

344 posts, read 416,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Well this thread is enough make a person depressed!
I disagree. This thread might inspire people to retire sooner if they can, especially if they are on the fence and pondering OMY (one more year).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
So I guess the moral of these stories is retire as soon as possible so you live long enough to enjoy it.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:41 AM

761 posts, read 832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Dying and severe illness too young are the worst.

My parents had just turned 65. My Mom planned to retire that year, while my Dad was still working. Then my father was hit by a car and was almost killed - hospitalized for 6 months, now severely disabled for life. Soon after, my healthy Mom was suddenly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died.

Both worked so hard all their lives, saved everything for retirement. Mom never saw retirement. Father's retirement is now spent with doctors, filled with pain and disability.
That's a lot of grief for one family to handle.
My sympathies go out to you.

My BIL smoked like a chimney for years and died from bladder cancer at the age of 65.
Never got a chance to retire.
Left a wife, 2 adult children and 3 grandkids that adored him.

I hope I can go out at 63 and find some enjoyment and peace.
I may live more frugally but I won't be destitute.

My brother, who had all the brains and potential in the world is bipolar and never seemed to get on track.
Failed marriage, no savings or 401k and a low paying job.
He was the "smart" one.....heard it all my life....now I have a better plan and retirement funds.

Like they say "we don't plan to fail, we fail to plan".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement