U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,438,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

But what about me feeling like I owe it to my company to stick around, since they (and virtually no others) were willing to hire me at 54? I still think they'll feel burned by it and not take a chance on another older worker. . . Things are bad enough for the older worker out pounding the pavement--I don't want to make it worse, even in this small of a way.....
You are right about that.
The concern that some employers feel re hiring the older worker is, apparently, justified, as retirement/health issues are certainly more common than for younger employees.

It's just a reality that we run out of steam - and time - sooner than those half our age.

Retire anyway. It's not really your problem anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 25,038 times
adams,
You are a kind soul to be concerned about other older workers and your employer, but if you don't need your job, won't you be glad that someone who probably does need it will have it? If you can and feel like spreading your wings and flying away, think happily of the job someone else will have and put in a word for an older worker being hired again, for good measure. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, the intelligent use of your resources, and your luck. You will still need to be thoughtful and kind to others for the rest of your life, too.

Last edited by Juanii; 05-06-2015 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: sentence repetition

Old 05-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
... I managed to land a very good job in my industry--at 54!--paying almost as much as I was being paid when I left the buyout company.
Now, I don't LOVE my job. ... since I don't HATE it, I need to keep working to build more cushion. ... I have a responsibility to keep working--if not for me, but so as not to leave a bad taste in the company's mouth for hiring older workers!

Give them a couple years,,, that should cover any 'obligation'. Maybe you can become 'indispensable' and work out a PT gig so you can 'work-at-will' (when you need to gain some $$ for a travel adventure or such).

A decent job... I would keep as long as I am contributing and it serves a purpose for me.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 PM

996 posts, read 861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems useless to worry that you might die before you retire or before you take that special trip. Once you are gone, you certainly don't care.

On the other hand, the survivors are the ones who are missing out on the companionship they could have had for that special time. So really, this post is more about the survivors than the ones who died suddenly. Of course if you are stricken ill or become disabled, that is certainly a tragedy, and it could happen to any of us.

My dad died 9 months after he retired at age 66. He had a heart attack on the 17th hole of one of his favorite golf courses, so we consoled ourselves that he was doing what he loved when he died. My mom was a widow for 25 years. She enjoyed those years because she worked hard at not being unhappy -- made new friends, enjoyed time with family, traveled, volunteered many, many hours each week.

But yes, it was not the retirement she (and Dad) had envisioned. They were just beginning to do some traveling and golfing together, and it was cut short far too soon.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:50 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Why do you oppose this? I live in a 2BR apartment as a single guy because I want the space and can afford it. Where I am in Indiana (and presumably you as well being in Michigan), we are not space limited. If you cannot afford a studio in these places, you need to do better financially, plain and simple. Those who are doing better shouldn't be prohibited from owning the property they can afford, and it wouldn't change your circumstances anyhow.
I think freemkt might oppose anyone having more living space than he does regardless of the fact that they worked hard and earned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Seriously! I own 2 houses on my 2 acre lot and I live alone in the main, 3910 sq ft home. The cottage is unoccupied and ready for guests. There is no way I am sharing what I worked hard for - no guilt here and I am not a communist. Thankfully, I live in the USA where I am free to live as I please and I love being alone in all this space.

And a note on retirement horror stories. Goes to show you really need to have fun and spend money and travel and not obsess about having enough money in retirement - you may never make it.
How dare you! Why, if 12 could fit in our modest home then you should move into the guest cottage and permit at least two if not three dozen ne'er-do-wells to move into the main house.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:33 AM

424 posts, read 286,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
We have a "disaster" waiting to happen in our family. BIL/SIL (early 70's) have only SS income. They are able to meet their debts (including a mortgage and maybe a car payment) and living expenses. The disaster will be if one dies then the other cannot afford the debt. No money to be made selling the house. She is in better health and there is a small life insurance policy on him. Probably enough to buy her 6 months of time. If she dies before him, he is screwed from day one.

I think this situation is more common than many know.
Sounds like if one dies the other should just declare bankruptcy and move into an apartment. No use having perfect credit when your this old, quality of life is far more important.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,465,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now that's an interesting perspective. I suppose that under that philosophy, my wife and I are "wasting" a housing resource as it's just the two of us and we own a three bedroom house with two bathrooms and an all-weather sunroom. Should we sell the house and move into a one bedroom apartment so a bunch of people could move in? Why, with bunk beds at least 12 could take up residence. How selfish of us to stay where we are.

On the flip-side of the coin, we worked long and hard to afford and buy a nice retirement home in an area in which we wanted to live and on the shore of a very large (720 mile shoreline) albeit manmade lake. As I had lost everything I owned half of my retirement funds and all other resources in divorce and my current wife had raised her two daughters for 17 years with no support from their father and was also broke, we were renters until we both retired. I had always been determined, health until death permitting, to live out my life and eventually reach the end of my shelf life on my own property, not someone else's. So far, so good.

Sorry but I guess that you and the other 11 would be residents are just going to have to wait awhile to fill all the empty and wasted space here. I'm sure our neighbors like our plan better.
So, does that mean I can't move into one of the rooms in your house?

I'm heartbroken and so are my cats!

Enjoy your property and do what you like, some people just have too much time on their hands.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,270,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Why would you want to know the most awful things that can happen in retirement? It's like saying, "has anyone hit their thumb with a hammer and how did it feel?" Pain is pain! The only reason I can think of is if you're looking for reasons not to retire. If we had a crystal ball and I learned that my d-date was the day before I retired, I would probably say, "eh, I'm going to die before I retire anyway". When we don't know, we have hopes and dreams.
Because intelligent people learn from others' mistakes. Reading this forum makes young yuppies like me consider things and plan accordingly. If nobody ever talked about the bad things that could go wrong, wed never plan accordingly. Isnt that what History is for?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Alzheimer's has a way of sucking the joy out of retirement. My parents planned for a nice retirement but it went sour when my mom came down with Alzheimer's and my dad had a stroke trying to take care of her. He was in denial and spent most of his time covering for her...trying to live two lives.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM

71,458 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Because intelligent people learn from others' mistakes. Reading this forum makes young yuppies like me consider things and plan accordingly. If nobody ever talked about the bad things that could go wrong, wed never plan accordingly. Isnt that what History is for?
Actually the only thing that repeats itself are historians.

generally when planning to avoid certain situations things play out just different enough to make whatever you thought would work not work .

personally everything I learned came from those smarter than me who did things right.

planning around right seems to have a much better track record than trying to just avoid individual cases of what someone did wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement